Kitten Beheading Sparks Chinese Online Rage

the daily dish More on PawNation: Attack, Cats, China, Kittens, Sad, Scary

BEIJING - A Chinese woman who beheaded a kitten and posted pictures online has provoked a wave of fury from tens of thousands of web users, with some calling her "insane".

Curious kitten looking at the camera

Credit: Getty Creative

Li Pingping, a former marketing consultant in Huizhou in the southern province of Guangdong, bought the kitten earlier this month and decapitated it in her bathroom last week, the state-run China Daily newspaper reported Thursday.

She then posted photos of the kitten's body and its severed head on Sina Weibo, a Chinese version of Twitter, setting off outraged reactions.

Li deleted the posts but after the online criticism continued for days, she penned an open letter apologising and explaining that she had been drunk and acted out of anger after suspecting her father had been involved in an extramarital affair, the China Daily said.

The letter drew more than 60,000 comments, the paper said, with many continuing to berate Li.

"Brutally dismembering a poor kitten in your bathroom, then posting the photos online?" one Sina Weibo user wrote Tuesday. "The cruelty is just beyond imagination."

Others suspected that Li may have psychological problems and that her previous postings suggested she may have been considering suicide.

China does not currently have any laws to protect non-endangered animals. Nonetheless the country has a small but growing animal rights movement and reports of animal cruelty frequently draw anger.

Last week, a British resident of Beijing watched in horror as a city management official and four others beat his small dog to death in front of him, the Beijinger magazine reported.

The man had been out walking his dog when the officials demanded his registration papers, the magazine said.

After he explained that he was still in the process of registering the dog, the officials held him back and beat the dog to death with sticks, then scooped its body into a bag.

Police told the man that "without the registration documents, there was no recourse for him", the magazine said.

MORE ON PAWNATION: Elephants From Canada Take Up Residence in US Zoo

Pat

Too bad she didn't commit suicide before buying and beheading a helpless kitten. I hope she never owns another animal.

July 01 2014 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucia

In the second-world European country I grew up in, it was a not-uncommon occurrence to find stray cats and dogs that had been beaten or tortured to death. I knew many kids in my neighbourhood that did this. There were no laws against it there either. I bet a majority of them are lining the country's jails and mental institutions today as adults.

June 08 2014 at 2:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Luvucats

How much better it would have been if she just committed suicide!

June 01 2014 at 10:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
LoriJasmine2004

BEING DRUNK AND UPSET IS NO EXCUSE TO BEHEAD A HELPLESS KITTEN OR ANY ANIMAL . ISNT THERE A SAYING IN THE BIBLE IF YOUR HAND OFFENDS YOU ..CUT IT OFF?SHE SHOULD HAVE HER HAND CUT OFF FOR DOING THAT .

June 01 2014 at 4:36 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ingscat

China has little regard for animal rights and yet we still continue to buy their products. We should all boycott anything made in China and let companies know that we will not buy any of their merchandise made in China. I for one have voiced my opinion to many corporations and told them I would not purchase their products as long as they continue to support a barbaric and sadistic society that allows such cruelty to animals.

May 31 2014 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bar11715

Why sink to her level and bump her off in the manner in which she did the poor kitty? Why not just take all the people in the world like her and put them on another planet? Then they can do the deed instead of us doing it.

May 31 2014 at 4:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jai.hye

Oh how I wish we could take all the evil, sadistic humans on the planet and behead them or put them in front of a firing squad, or torture them the way the helpless bulls are tortured in Spain for the amusement of despicable humans....the world would indeed be a better place.

May 30 2014 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Burtsche

She should have her head cut off!! End of subject!

May 30 2014 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
foxylynx

Cruelty against animals is World wide - those of us who love all creatures big and small have to continue the fight to stop animal cruelty. There is hope that China is coming of age and that is proven by the outrage towards the nut case that could do something so barbaric. They eat dogs and cats - how does someone eat a loving creature. I could never own a farm because I would NEVER be able to kill anything. Cruelty towards children and animals puts these people at the top of my disgust list.

May 30 2014 at 6:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
scary91457

Let me have that monster for just a few minutes, she won't have to commit suicide, I'll take care of her problems real fast. I would kill her with my own hands for this and my 5 cats would be cheering for me! Listen up, China, the world is sick to death of your murderous ways towards animals. We are stopping all of your tainted (deadly) products, your ignorant poaching for ridiculous false medicines, etc, etc, etc.

May 30 2014 at 10:39 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply