Disabled Kitten Is Protected by Canine Friend

More on PawNation: Cats, Cute, Dogs, Feline Cerebellar Hypoplasia, Heart-Warming, Kittens

Meet Ralphee, a kitten who suffers from a neurological disorder called feline cerebellar hypoplasia (CH). The part of her brain that controls fine motor skills and coordination was underdeveloped at birth, resulting in Ralphee having a wobbly walk. Felines with CH have the same life expectancy as cats without the affliction, so long as they don't suffer from any other health issues. But luckily for Ralphee, she's sure to stay safe with her best pal by her side. Max the Australian Cattle Dog instantly took a liking to the little lady and has taken it upon himself to be the kitten's canine protector.

MORE ON PAWNATION:

Cat and Horse Share Nuzzles and Kisses

Two-Legged Dog Runs at the Beach

Woman Is Chased by Hundreds of Rabbits

merstockgto

So precious

May 08 2014 at 2:35 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
olan5tops

Great video! Aussie cattle dogs are always herding things, why not a beautiful cat? Cats are always reacting and chasing things people can't see anyway, ha ha!! What a beautiful pair of animals!

May 07 2014 at 8:44 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
olan5tops

Hey! That's an Aussie cattle dog for you! They love to herd things, why not a beautiful cat? Cats chase and react to things people can't see anyway, ha ha! Great video and great animals shown in it!

May 07 2014 at 8:42 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
di952

I have a cat with allergy induced brain damage that caused symptoms similar to cerebellar hypoplasia (my vet's diagnosis). At that age my cat acted similarly. As he aged, my cat's symptoms became less pronounced but he still has the head wobble and a left-oriented, circle-walking tendency when he gets excited. He also can not jump well. Otherwise, my now-four-year-old cat is as normal as any and a real sweety, not afraid of anything.

May 07 2014 at 7:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
flcajunbear

why is the little kitten shaking her head so much? ear problems? thats not normal, is it?

May 07 2014 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kmchafin

I have a CH kitten, age 9 months. He is normal in all ways (just wobbles) but you have to pad certain areas, and fence off stairs. Once in a while when he gets excited he can run into walls....Where can you by a kitty helmet?

May 07 2014 at 5:51 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jmg62

Max does seem to be watching after Ralphee. I've seen my felines act similar to this after bringing down the catnip jar from the shelf. I kept it in a sealed Mason jar - but must've not tightened the top well enough from the evening before. I came home and found the jar open on the kitchen floor. They were jumping sideways. Darting here and there in and out of the room. My parakeet was "laughing" at them enjoying the show. Anything on the floor was fair gsme for attack - even a bread twisty. I feared they'd put their eye out with it so I picked it up only to have one crawl up me to get it out of my hand! I clip them myself so it didn't hurt bad, however, I was shocked they'd do this! So, whether with a genetic defect or not - felines can surprise in all sorts of ways! The canine (Boxer-Pit) I have now would probably be hiding under the bed wondering if he'd be next for attack!;) They played together - but never when the felines were "herky-jerky" on their kittynip! No wonder the parakeet was laughing! Max is a good pup for watching out for his buddy Ralphee!

May 07 2014 at 5:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
teeteeron57

Awesome!!!!,...we humans have a lot to learn from our furry friends.

May 07 2014 at 3:34 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
harleybv

It is so cute, but what makes her that way is her disability, which is very sad. Thankfully she has a protector. Hopefully he is around as long as she is.. Nature has it's own way of taking care of itself, and man is doing all it can to destroy that.

May 07 2014 at 2:54 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jrp1947

Aussi's have an instinctive need to mother and take care of other animals. I had one for nearly 19 years and she was the greatest dog I have ever had. She was a nannie to my kids and my best friend. This is a very lucky cat and the bond will be there forever.

May 07 2014 at 2:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply