Easter Lilies Deadly to Cats, FDA Warns

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Health, Plants, Poisonous Plants, Safety

The Food and Drug Administration is cautioning cat owners against keeping Easter lilies in their home during the upcoming holiday, as that plant and others of the Lilium and Hemerocallis genera are toxic to felines.

Easter Lily

Credit: Getty Creative

While lilies are not as toxic to dogs, they are a serious threat to cats in any household, as reported by LiveScience. Even licking pollen from the plant or eating one of the leaves can cause acute kidney failure in felines.

"The first symptom of lily toxicity in cats is vomiting," said FDA veterinarian Melanie McLean. "If you have lilies in your home, checking for missing petals or chewed leaves can tell you whether your cat has found the flowers."

If a cat ingests a lily, the animal may also start to urinate frequently within the next 12 to 24 hours. If urinating then stops completely, it is a sign of kidney failure. If the cat doesn't receive medical attention, it can die from lily toxicity within four to seven days.

"If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a lily or its pollen, call your veterinarian immediately, or take your cat to an emergency veterinary clinic," McLean said.

The FDA recommends pet-proofing your home during the spring season. Many plants now in bloom can be fatally poisonous to cats and dogs.

MORE ON PAWNATION: 8 Plants That Are Poisonous to Cats and Dogs

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum


Filter by:

Never feed your pet grapes or raisins either...they are very deadly!

April 15 2014 at 4:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

before i was aware, my sweet boy ingested, in front of me, a one inch piece of a day Lilly leaf. I took him to emergency vet and his stomach was pumped but he still went into kidney failure. He only survived because I was there and took action. Those plants were dug up that night.

April 15 2014 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

wow! Glad to hear about these plants. Gonna go out and buy tons of them to plant around my house!@

April 15 2014 at 4:16 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to gjterranov's comment
Cheryl Cook

How insensitive of you, jerk!

April 17 2014 at 4:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

I agree with Cheryl. You're truly an insensitive jerk.

April 17 2014 at 4:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

I had two sheep die after having eaten a relatively small amount of Mountain Laurel. A third sheep was kept from the leaves by the two bigger ones but managed to have some. She was paralyzed for one week. I'm told partially wilted cherry blossoms are deadly too. And lastly, sheep getting into chicken feed will kill the. It's the copper. .

April 15 2014 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

If your cat has a preferred treat it isn't as likely to munch on your houseplants. Some are relatively safe but why risk your kitty? Grow some catnip and regular grass, put those on the floor or on the cat's play structure, keep your cat away from the room where you have your plants. It might take some getting used to by both you and the cat but well worth the effort.

April 15 2014 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

My Poor cat chewed some Olelander leaves and died

April 15 2014 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Too bad they're not more hardy; love to plant them around my house and garage...

April 15 2014 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ohger1's comment
Cheryl Cook

Was your comment really necessary? Cats control rats. What would you rather have? Cats or rats??? So, I'm very happy they are "not more hardy."

April 17 2014 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Its not just cats, you shouldn't let any pets around these plants. lilies can make a small dog every sick or even kill them, think about your pet when you by plants for your home.

April 15 2014 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Around The Web

Who is Cutest?

Like us on Facebook?