Missing Over a Year, Lost Dog Is Heading Home

the daily dish More on PawNation: Awesome, Beagles, Dogs, Heart-Warming, Rescue, Reunions

After 17 months and 400 miles apart, a runaway Beagle is finding her way home, thanks to the dog's foster parents and a microchip.

Beagle Found 400 Miles from Kentucky Home |

Sassy the Beagle went missing October 2012 in Louisville, Ky., when her family let her out of the house. Cindy and Ernie Romans said Sassy had always come back to them.

"We kept on waiting for her to come home because she always came home. Always ... except for this time," Cindy Romans told WAVE 3 News.

The Romans looked for Sassy to no avail. They were unaware the dog had ended up in a kill shelter, from which she was picked up by Forever Home Beagle Rescue, based out of Pittsburgh, Pa. The pooch then went to the foster home of Hope Wilson and April Smith in Brentwood, Pa.

Wilson and Smith had been housing Sassy for two months when she developed a cough. Since Sassy had come to them from a shelter, the foster parents thought the dog had already been checked for a microchip. But when they took the Beagle to a veterinarian, they learned that Sassy was, indeed, microchipped.

"They said yes, she is, and her name is Sassy," Smith said told Wave 3 News. "As soon as she said 'Sassy,' her head turned and her tail started wagging right away."

The Romans were contacted after the discovery of the microchip. The family is thrilled to know that their dog is safe. Their reunion with Sassy is planned for later this week.

MORE ON PAWNATION: Stray Sochi Puppies Find New Home in U.S.

Charlene

So they let her out of the house and expected her to just come back? Very irresponsible pet owner. You do not let pets out of the house on their own, kids!

March 27 2014 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pollyoftheyear

my animals are microchipped and i hope if they ever got loose i would get them back- i keep an eye on my dogs at all times-so hopefully that doesnt happen-i know they can quickly slip out and i try to be very careful. i had a huskey-he would get out because they like to run-i had my phone number around his neck-i always got a call and when they did i would say do not lethim go hold him until i getthere and they did. i always got him back-i did reward these nice people.he was an expensive dog haha

March 27 2014 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia

I'm glad they got their dog back, but what in the world were they thinking "letting her out?" In my area, it is illegal to let your dog run off leash. I hope the family has learned a lesson from this expereience. I would never let a pet of mine run free on purpose.

March 27 2014 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Patricia's comment
BARRY AND KATHY

And if my dogs weren't able to run off leash, I wouldn't live where I do.

March 27 2014 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
incomeing2

i do belive that puting a chip in your dog or cat will save alot of time tho we must look after ower onw dogs and cats-some people wont get a scanner they just want to put the dog or cat down- its stupid to do that with out looking into the matter frist ?

March 27 2014 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

Beagles are such cute dogs but, they do like to roam! thats why their such good huntin' companions!

March 27 2014 at 5:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Pearltrans

All shelters should be required to test for microchips.

March 27 2014 at 5:53 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
franzsj

Please explain all the details as to microchipping pets. Cost and fees/dues for lifetime of pet or change of ownership. This might be helpful to all interested pet persons.

March 27 2014 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to franzsj's comment
meepstein

Took a few seconds and cost less then $15 to have my cat microchipped.

March 27 2014 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

I am sure if my beagle/rat terror (intended spelling) is stolen, they will bring him back and pay me for my troubles.

March 27 2014 at 1:36 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
mkymos1

My pooches name is Weiner and his last name Snitzel.
When we go for a walk together he likes me to referr to him as Mr. Snitzel because it sounds more formal and he likes that :))
He is a Dacshound!!

March 27 2014 at 1:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tasopatczpatricia

Reminds me of a beagle who lived next door to us many years ago. If the neighbor opened the door just a few inches, Duffy just shot out the door which more often than not ended in a group of neighbors on a "Duffy hunt". After one unsuccessful Duffy hunt, I went home and bed. I had a dream which seemed so real, it woke me up at 3:00 in the morning. In the dream, there was a house on the block kitty-corner from the one I lived on. (I had never been on that block.) At any rate in my dream there was a sort of medium green house with a rabbit hutch up against the back of the house. (I had never been on that block before). I got up, dressed and headed for that block. About the third house from the end of the alley there was a green house, rabbit hutch and yes, Duffy! I got him on a leash and took him home with me until morning when I returned him to his owner. Talk about ESP!
My husband worked at a place where they built wood shipping crates. Duffy had no shelter when he was tied out in the house and Wisconsin winters are pretty cold and all Duffy had to sit on was the ice in the back yard. My husband built him a dog house with his name over the door. I painted the house and my mother supplied some old throw rugs for the floor and one over the door. First thing, Duffy jumped on the top so he could get a better look at his "territory" (So cute) He also went into the house to sleep. The following summer, the neighbors were going on vacation and I was asked to find him a new home before they got back because he was a "barker". Through a local radio show, I found him a home on a duck farm where his barking would be appreciated and made sure his dog house went with him. He was a really sweet dog.

March 27 2014 at 12:47 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tasopatczpatricia's comment
rabbitdare

Sounds like you did more for Duffy than his owners. I can't imagine what would have happened to him if you hadn't been around.

March 27 2014 at 2:34 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply