Dog Protects Pregnant Woman

the daily dish More on PawNation: Awesome, Behavior, Dogs, Funny

This dutiful pet gives new meaning to the term "guard dog." He's not going to let anyone near the pregnant woman he's protecting. While it's unclear to whom the dog belongs, he makes it obvious that the unborn baby is his to defend. Anyone trying to touch the woman's belly sends the dog into instant guard mode. Keep your hands to yourself, and maintain a safe distance at all times. This loyal bodyguard is on the job, and he's not messing around.

MORE ON PAWNATION: How to Stop Your Dog From Barking

Naomi Gill

To those talking about the danger of this behavior and that it shouldn't be encouraged: Note that the dog seems to be very careful not to actually bite. He barks, he lunges, he uses his mouth, but he isn't clamping down. Even though the large man isn't getting the hint and backing off, the dog isn't escalating his aggression. To me, this says that the dog is very well trained and has a good sense of control. The man might be the father, or he could be a friend. (Maybe the father is the man with the camera?) If this is how the dog reacts to a large man, I doubt it would be more aggressive toward a child. Generally, animals are more lenient with children as most seem to realize that these are pups and don't know better.

March 20 2014 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Velocity105

I've never seen that before but it makes sense. The dog must belong to and be bonded with the woman not the man. He would not attack his owner.

March 01 2014 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
legacykwst

In horse circles, everyone has a story of a horse that had been difficult & fractious, but when the owner or usual rider became pregnant, the horse became calm & docile for her... but not for others... & once the baby was born, it was back to business as usual.

March 01 2014 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay

Dogs can be very protective but it seems that this dog does not belong to this woman. He has adopted her instead of the other way around.

I remember when I was pregnant with my last baby, my mini Schnauzer would jump on my lap and wiggle around until he was laying in my arms like a baby going to be fed. He would go to sleep like that. I never tried to teach him to do it or anything, in fact, he did not like to be held like a baby, ever. After my baby was born, the dog never did that again! It was as if he was getting me ready to hold a baby again. Sad thing was that my husband was actually jealous of the dog laying in my arms like that and also did not like the fact that the dog took to me more than him. Of course hubby never was very friendly to the dog, would pat it on the head and then tell him to go away.......

March 01 2014 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nureinschatz

I was watching my mothers cat, who was my cat before I was married, when he viciously (scratching and biting) attacked me twice for no reason. I called my mother and told her she had better come get her cat if she wanted him alive. A month after I found out I was pregnant. We adopted a puppy while I was four months pregnant. I asked her vet why my cat would have attacked me and he said the cat knew I was pregnant and was jealous. The puppy would sit and lie on top of my stomach while riding in the car where she could feel the baby's heart beat. After my son was born, she would sleep on the rug under his crib and stick her nose in his playpen when he cried. Once he was crawling around, they became the best of friends, he even learned how to walk while following her around the house. Though much smaller, she growled at a Boxer that tried to get near his stroller in our front yard.

March 01 2014 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
flameangelgirl23

This is not cute or funny! This is a behavior that could become a potentially serious problem. The sooner they get professional help to address it, the better for everyone involved.

February 26 2014 at 8:50 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to flameangelgirl23's comment
Rich

you are exactly right, this behavior when encouraged is not good, you can all say he is just being protective, but if it goes unchecked who is to say that this dog will not protect the women from the child after birth, I as a loving dog owner would not under any circumstances tolerate this type of action, a dog is only as good or as bad as it's owner allows it to be

February 26 2014 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

I must add something to this, because a lot of people out there think that there is nothing wrong with this dogs behavior, would if you are visiting this mother with your child, this child innocently touches the mothers stomach while this dog is around, because it is not properly trained, this could be a catastrophe, he is not "one of the best" dogs ever as someone quoted, he could be, but trust me right now he is not

February 26 2014 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne Boleyns Crown

One of the BEST DOGS EVER! Good boy!

February 26 2014 at 7:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

great story . protecting mom and baby! doing his job ...wonderful.

February 26 2014 at 6:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Beth's comment
Ray

What if this were your 5 year old daughter only going to give her aunt a hug?

February 26 2014 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
josb866161

I don’t think this is bad. Protection and aggression are not the same. The dog is taking care of this child, and, or the mother. The dog doesn't do anything except when it feels there may be a threat. My dogs would protect us from anyone who came into my home and was a threat. They love children, and seem to be in awe of babies. Aggressive people need to take heed, about getting in other people's space.

February 26 2014 at 4:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmg62

They can also sense when their human companion is injured. My Sonny-Boy - a rescue dog I'd gotten 3 months prior - knew I wasn't able to get around well 2 months after getting him where I had to be on crutches for a bit. He wouldn't let me answer the door without him getting to it first {almost knocking me over in the process!} . Family, friends, cable installers, delivery people - anyone - . It's like he knew I was injured and wanted to protect me until I told him to go to his crate in the bedroom. He went, slowly, looking over his shoulder the whole way. Even then he stood so he could see out - growling low - but I could hear him. Once he sniffed friends and family, they were OK - even wagging his tail figuring he'd get a treat out of it. (Sure, most murders are committed by people we know - but he'd wag and lick them as I lay bleeding on the floor! ~ kidding~~!;) But several workers asked me to close the door to his(our) room or they wouldn't come in. I did so - so no problem. Many had their own dogs - but Sonny - being a Boxer/Pitt gave them pause. (Odd, the (Lassie) Collie up the road and a Great Poodle - at least as big as Sonny - have attacked mailmen and they all want to pet them like the children like do!?) Sonny is trained now and likes people. Dogs not so much - he was picked on by older males when he was younger - but he likes the Ladies - the Poodle, Collie and Hazel a Poodle/Weimaraner mix down the street. They give him a playful work out. But they're all so "fluffy-foo-foo" looking, I guess no one considers them a threat. But it's peculiar how even as Cesar say's to be a "pack leader" - sometimes when the "leader" {or as I say the "Kibble Bowl Filler"} is under the weather or pregnant they take over defensive duties. I just hope her pup doesn't take it too far once the baby is born. Most don't - so it's a good thing to see protectiveness now. Hope he's more the type of companion who'd more likely take the baby out of danger if something happens. (Hope that guy wasn't the father!) He'd probably use it as an excuse to get out of changing diapers!~~smile~~!

February 26 2014 at 4:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply