A: Humans use a variety of chemicals to clean the environments we share with dogs and cats. Sometimes we forget that our pets can pick up toxins from the environment on their paws and fur, which then enter their mouths during self-grooming (licking the paws or hair coat).
According to the Proctor and Gamble’s material safety data sheet for the Swiffer Wet Jet, "this product is expected to have a low order of toxicity. Oral ingestion may result in gastrointestinal irritation with transient nausea, vomiting or diarrhea."
Additionally, under toxological information, it’s reported that “Swiffer Wet Cloths are non-toxic and this finished consumer product is not carcinogenic.”
It’s not completely clear if the quantity pets may consume from walking across a wet or dry floor cleaned with the Swiffer Wet Jet would cause clinical signs of illness. Therefore, my general recommendation would be to prevent your pet from coming into contact with surfaces that the product was used to clean.
Should your pet show any clinical signs of illness after suspected or confirmed contact with Swiffer Wet Jet, including salivation, pawing at the face or mouth, excessive lip licking, vomit, decreased appetite, diarrhea or other signs, then immediately pursue an examination with your veterinarian or local emergency veterinary hospital.
Pet Danger Myths Debunkedpet myths debunked
Around The Web