Brought to you by:

Learn Your Pet Parenting Style

More on PawNation: dog, dogs, lifestyle, puppies, puppy, relationships

How Do You Keep Love Strong?

We all love our dogs, but how we show our affection may vary. Some people take their pooch with them everywhere, especially if the animal fits nicely in their designer purse. Others are ready for outdoor adventures and some fresh air. Then there are those who prefer a cozy evening at home with their loyal pooch curled up beside them.

Take this quiz to find out how you keep the love strong with man's (and woman's) best friend.

• What best describes a perfect day with your dog?

• Hitting up posh shops on the boulevard with your pup in tow - be it in a stylish dog carrier or on a rhinestone-studded leash.
    • Hiking some trails with your pooch, enjoying the fresh air and exciting smells along the way.
    • Snuggling up in front of the fireplace with your best furry pal, reading a good book or drinking hot cocoa while snuggling.
  • When buying a gift for your pet, which of the following are you most likely to purchase?

• A fabulous doggy T-shirt from a fashionable pet boutique.
    • A regular ol' tennis ball for countless games of fetch.
    • A comfortable dog bed for top-notch napping.
  • You had a long day at the office and want to unwind at home with your pooch. What do you do?

• Grab a glass of wine, put on "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" and style your pup's fur with barrettes.
    • Immediately grab your dog's leash and go for a long walk around the neighborhood.
    • Throw on a cooking show and try your luck in the kitchen, sharing human food with your pooch while getting the ingredients together.
  • When planning a vacation with your dog, what travel plans are you most likely to choose?

• First class flight to New York City, with your pup sitting comfortably in its dog carrier below the seat in front of you.
    • A camping trip at a national park, with a special spot for your four-legged pal inside the tent.
    • A road trip to grandma's house for home cooking and fun times running around the backyard.
  • When getting ready for bed, where does your pup sleep?

• In a posh doggy bed, possibly with you pet's name embroidered on it.
    • Wherever is most comfortable, with the pup's favorite chew toy close by.
    • Curled up next to you under the blankets.
  • Mostly A's

Jet Setter

You're living a life on the go, and your pet is the perfect co-pilot! From shopping sprees to a day at the nail salon, you bring your pup along for camaraderie - rather than leave it home alone.

• Mostly B's

Adventurer

The great outdoors is where you strengthen the bond you share with your dog. Fresh air and exercise is the gift you give your pooch every day!

• Mostly C's

Homebody

A quiet evening of endless belly rubs and head scratches is how you share affection with your furry pal. A canine asleep on your lap at the end of a long day is pure bliss!

Roger

I've heard it said, by more than one person, that each dog lover has one special dog in their lifetime. No matter how many dogs you may have, there is just one that stands out above all the others. He/She is the one that comes to mind when you discuss pets you have shared your life with. Remember?

March 23 2014 at 1:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shughes2853

I have 2 small dogs, a 10 yr old poodle and a 14 yr old bichon. They are both completely dependent and trusting of me. Sometimes, when I look at them, I have this deeply, painful realization of how some awful humans neglect, injure or kill defenseless animals for fun.

I actually feel physical pain just thinking about the atrocities and I will never, ever understand how anyone can look into the face of a sweet animal, look into their trusting and innocent eyes and hurt them. To me, it's a very evil and dark side of humans.

March 22 2014 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
celebrityl

Pet parenting ?????????? Sureeeeeee

March 22 2014 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bojangles63

I'm one who has always had a dog for as far back as I can remember. I decided long ago that if someone I know doesn't like a dog .... then I can't be friends with them and don't want to be around them because clearly ...... something is wrong with them that I can't see.

March 22 2014 at 9:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tom Yates

My Foozybear, a retriver/chow mix I found left in junk yard passed after 12 years from cancer, tis was my baby, looked like a beast and gentle as a lamb, no one bothered my truck, but he was a ladies man, they would comment how pretty he smiled at them, only women would approach my repo truck, I miss my brown dog, and tear up just thinking about it, no way to replace him, as my dog loving friends know.

March 22 2014 at 8:56 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tom Yates's comment
imbecilia

My Baby girl Peaches a Dalmation/Terrier mix was thrwn in a dumpster with her siblings when she was 2 weeks old. Thank God some people noticed them and she ended up at a rescue. She passed of lymphoma when she was just a month short of 9 yrs. That was two years ago. I still cry almost every day over her. Some monsters trash was my precious treasue.

April 11 2014 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vlou38

I have 3 dogs, a chihuahua, wirehair mix & lab/pit mix. Love all 3 to death, but have a problem with their barking. They especially the little ones when someone comes in room or leaves, no reason & the Chihuahua will howl & bust your ear drums. But we love them. The lab can be asleep on the couch & bolt up like someone is out side and there is nothing unless it's a animal in woods behind our place. Can't understand what he hears to do this. He is my sons dog & has trained my son well,\. He is in wheelchair & they play outside a lot.

March 22 2014 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to vlou38's comment
swanderman

You need to be trained in how to control their barking. It's a simple matter of correction and praise but must be administered consistantly and continuously by your entire household. Correction; a scolding or jerk on the collar when they are wrong. Then Praise; "what a good dog you are", or a treat as soon as they obey. Correction and praise in equal installments.

March 22 2014 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ruth

I have never seen a 'happy' dog or any other who could wag his tail only to one side, right OR left. The tail naturally goes the other way after a wag. So one second he is happy, then, in the next, he is pissed--back and forth a million times a minute? Poor dog.

March 22 2014 at 8:11 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mtnplayzonepaul

I think animals all have varying special intelligence and hope one day we do get to understand them. A dogs sense of smell was validated as the only thing greater than a science that could detect one drop of a viral agent in six Olympic sized pools. Amazing right. My wife was ill and our Aussie knew it so he reacted very differently. Elephants feel compassion as do others. We love our two dogs and while we rarely consider them smart by our standards, they offer unconditional love and are always upbeat. Imagine if we ever learned how to do that?

March 22 2014 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonnie

I have had different dogs during my life as child and adult. they all come from the humane society. I was taught from childhood to keep the dog til they die. I have done so and would never be without a dog. your not complete unless you have a dog . the longest I have had one dog was 14 years.

March 22 2014 at 6:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ilovehorses9911

I have a jackrussel mix and she is my baby she is 4 1/2 almost 5 and the sweetest dogs ever. unless you piss her off :)

March 22 2014 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply