Jogger Saves Man and Dog From Drowning

the daily dish More on PawNation: Awesome, Dogs, Heart-Warming, Rescue

A passing jogger saved a man and his dog after both fell into Lake Michigan south of Montrose Harbor in Chicago, Ill. The man had jumped into the icy water after one of his three dogs fell in, WMAQ-TV reported.

Good Samaritans Rescue Man, Dog From Frozen Lake

Adam Dominik was jogging by the area when he heard dogs barking and followed the noise to find a man bobbing in the freezing lake with his dog in his arms. Lynn Gerhard, a cross-country skier, was already there and calling 911.

"His face was peering out. He was completely submerged, except for his face. I knew I had about two or three minutes before hypothermia set in and he went under, so I had Lynn keep talking to him and keep his spirits up," Dominik said.

Dominik found twine rope near a bird sanctuary and tried to use it to pull the man out from a distance of 10 feet.

"At first I threw the rope over him but the dog was kind of pulling on him with his weight pushing him under the water," Dominik said. "He kept saying, 'Save the dog first,' I kept saying, 'No, we're going to save your life first and then the dog, your life is more important,' but he insisted on pulling up the dog first."

Dominik was able to pull the man and his dog closer to the shoreline of the lake by the time police and firefighters arrived on the scene. They stepped in and brought the man and his dog back on dry land, but credit Dominik as the hero.

"He's responsible for a rescue here today," Officer Kevin Kelly said. "He did a great job. He was able to pull that victim close to the shoreline, and that allowed us to get our rescue sling down to him and work as a group to get that person up, and then it was a long trek from that shoreline up to the ambulance here."

The man was transferred to a local hospital, where he was listed in stable condition. The dog is also expected to survive.

Officials are concerned about this happening to others who may be walking near icy waters with their dogs, especially in the current frigid weather sweeping the nation.

"If a dog goes in the water, call 911 and we'll come and get you, don't go in yourself," said Ron Dornecker of the Chicago Fire Department.

HOW PETS IMPROVE YOUR LIFE:

jai.hye

@michele murphy..."I know logically a human life is more valuable than an animal, but I really understand how that man feels about his dog"

That is an ancient belief passed on from generation to the next and sounds politically correct. We all know there are evil despicable humans amongst us, and their lives should never be considered more valuable than an animal that will give unconditional love, as well as help to keep us safe from harm.

February 06 2014 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jai.hye

@ Allenseye

Although it is likely sarcasm, you are a sweetheart if it is not.

February 06 2014 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carolyncohen

what about the poor dog in town of hempstead shleter that a vet tech cut off its ears completely and then cut off the puppies paw....actually cut it off...who will jump in and save our animals......who will be their voice who will call for help for them how do we jump in and save them?????

February 06 2014 at 6:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carolyncohen

that man showed true love for his dog.....what about the poor dog in town of hempstead shelter that the vet tech cut off it s ears completely and then cut off its paw.....where is the justice for these animals..where are the voices.....who will save them when our town shelters hire savage barbarians who get sick pleasure in torturing these innocent creatures because they have no voice to tell on them,,,,,who will save them???????

February 06 2014 at 6:51 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
neenarn

Thanks to the hero who listened to that still small voice....the sound of a barking dog.

February 06 2014 at 5:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lunarstruck

What dog lover or owner wouldn't go in after their dog - what kind of idiot tells someone to just stand there and wait and watch their dog die?

February 06 2014 at 3:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lunarstruck's comment
Reb

Well, at least THINK first.

February 06 2014 at 4:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
allenseye

It's 15 degrees F here in Seattle tonight, I just put out warm water for my lovely precious racoons to warm themselves up. That was after I fixed them all a hearty warm meal of freshly baked lemon pie and roast beef with mashed potatoes some lovely green beans I grew myself. I think I will set out my portable radiator so that they can cuddle up around it and have a good nights sleep on the swing couch by my bedroom door. Oh - I just remembered I need to throw their little blankees into the dryer to warm them up. Little darlings.

February 06 2014 at 2:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tundraben

We live on an island in Big lake Alaska, we keep our dogs tied up for "their" safety, especially so during freeze up and break up.

February 06 2014 at 2:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kubi490

I love my pup and kitties but when you walk your dog he/she needs to be on a leash

I am a Chicagoan and know that lake Michigan is a big draw for pups who love the water
summertime is great for a romp in the water and pups don't know the difference between summer and winter waters

thanks to dominik and police/firefighters both have survived

February 06 2014 at 1:41 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
MARTHA & PERRY

we used to go swimming in lake Michigan in the summer up around sleeping bear dunes. the water was freezing then. now is suicide.

February 06 2014 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply