Cleveland Woman Adopts Stray Dog After Years Spent Earning Its Trust

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dogs, Heart-Warming, Rescue

Cici the dog spent at least two years living as a stray on the streets of Cleveland, Ohio, but she had a friend in Angeline Dzadony, 66, a local who watched over her, according to the (Cleveland) Plain Dealer. After two years of Dzadony visiting and feeding Cici, the pooch finally let the good Samaritan take her home.

When Dzadony first noticed Cici in 2011, she assumed the dog belonged to somebody. But upon seeing Cici alone outside day after day, Dzadony realized she was a stray.

"It would break my heart. She just looked so alone, sitting there like a little soldier," Dzadony said.

Cici hadn't always been a stray. Dzadony learned the dog became homeless when her owners moved away and left her behind.

"I think she was waiting for her owners to come back," Dzadony said. That could help explain why Cici was so slow to warm up to someone else, either because of the trauma of her abandonment, the hope that her owners would come back for her, or both.

"I would feed her every day and talk to her, trying to win her trust, and let me tell you, it was the hardest thing I ever did," Dzadony said. "I do not understand why people just dump their dogs. They are like children who cannot speak and do not understand why they are left behind."

Dzadony never gave up on Cici, going out of her way to care for the dog every day for two years. But a few weeks ago, Dzadony decided enough was enough. She wasn't going to let Cici live without a home any longer.

"This Christmas Eve, I went up there at 11 a.m. with a leash and collar and told her, 'We are going home. This is your Christmas present.' And it was like she knew it was time to get off the streets," Dzadony said.

Now Cici finally has a new home with an owner who surely will never lose the dog's hard-earned trust.

WHICH PUPPY IS CUTER? VOTE NOW:

Phillius Thomas

That's great that she did this! She showed that poor creature love and compassion. It's good she gave it so much love.

March 19 2014 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindi Potter

Thank you Angeline! Thank you!

January 20 2014 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mermom

Bless your kind heart, Angelina.

January 16 2014 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
creativeminds916

Thank you for having such a good heart.

January 15 2014 at 7:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rmaguro

Angelina is the best. I had dogs for most of my life but when one of them passed 20 years ago, my wife kept talking me out of getting another for 15 years. 5 years ago my son told me about a real frisky little mixed breed pup that was for sale. I drove 1200 mi. round trip to get her and it's one of the best things I ever did. I will never be without a dog again. If I ever have room for another dog I'm going for a sweet, older dog that needs a home like Cici. Every dog deserves a loving home.

January 13 2014 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan

This story made me cry, made me angry as hell and made me feel appreciation beyond words for Angeline....thank God for her undying patience and love for CiCi.....her name is appropriate, she is truly an angel on earth. I wish much deserved happiness for Angeline and CiCi!

January 12 2014 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klcjcldm

Angeline your name says it all you are an Angel to Cici!! If the world was full of more people like you what a wonderful place it would be! I hope you and Cici have many happy days together! Happy New Year to you both!!!!

January 12 2014 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
golfdood51

Best story I have read in a long time. Thank you for caring. You have inspired me.

January 12 2014 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Workman

What a nice thing to do!

January 12 2014 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
buddyboygabe

god bless to her kindness!

January 12 2014 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply