Most Popular Dog Names in America Are Max, Bella

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dog Names, Dogs, Lifestyle, Most Popular Dog Names

This week, a website that connects dog owners with in-home pet sitters revealed its 2013 list of most popular dog names in the United States - with "Max" and "Bella" topping the list - after reviewing its database of more than 100,000 registered users, according to Today.

The pet-sitter website Rover.com revealed the top 10 male and female dog names based on its U.S. clients. After Max and Bella, the names Charlie, Buddy and Jack are the next most popular names for male dogs, with Lucy, Bailey and Daisy the following top choices for females.

"We know from surveys that dog owners think of their dogs as family members," Greg Gottesman, founder of Rover.com, told Today. "Turns out they don't name them the same. The top 10 dog names, male and female, don't overlap with the top 10 baby names."

In fact, only one name appears on both the top lists for dogs and humans: Chloe.

Here are Rover.com's most popular U.S. dog names of 2013:

7. Lola
8. Maggie
9. Sadie
10. Chloe

10 MOST POPULAR PUPPY NAMES OF 2012:

Heather

My girl dogs are Mandy Lynn (we call her Mandy) she is a mix breed, Nina is our pit bull and she is the best dog with our kids even the baby and our late golden retriever/lab mixes name was Rochelle Nicole but my nephew was a huge Rock fan so her name got shortened to Rocchi but pronounced "Rocky." When I was a little kid my dogs were Bubba (boy), Brandy (girl), and Spike (boy)

December 05 2013 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
louspiderweb5

2 female dogs Glory (for th flag) and Ve Ve( rescue dog at the time for just "visiting") and Buster our cat who just passed 12-2-2013 I just watched the cat video and a new round of tears such a great cat rip

December 05 2013 at 4:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy Pederson

my Llaso Apso's name is Lacey

December 05 2013 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
workshopjx

Female Beagle was" Rusty." Her son was "Spooks" Black German Shepard, called "Sabre" then cat that went by "Pal."

December 05 2013 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

My pom is registered as The Great Gatsby, after my favorite book (NOT the movie). I tried to register him as just Gatsby or Great Gatsby but they were both taken so I had to add "The"!

December 04 2013 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mamasays2

My cats are: Riley, Phoebe, Sophie, Kinsey & Carly [girls] & Eliot is the boy. My dogs are: Hayley [girl--golden retriever/black lab mix] & Wilson [Newfoundland-male]. All are rescues & all know their names & come when they are called. I've never had an aloof, unaffectionate cat or dog. Even our late hedgehogs liked to cuddle!

December 04 2013 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe humphries

Wasup!

December 04 2013 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MISSPOLLYO

I have two little dogs Bella is the gril and rasal isthe boy my cat name is Freedie and I Love them all

December 04 2013 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessyca Marie

My dogs are payslee and Mariah

December 04 2013 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iabengal

what about katie for my saint!

December 04 2013 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply