Petition Seeks Animal Shelter Director's Resignation in Wake of Cat Deaths

the daily dish More on PawNation: Animal Hoarders, Cats, Euthanasia, Health, Safety

More than 1,600 people have signed a petition seeking the resignation of a Raleigh, N.C., animal shelter's director. The petition was created after 61 sick cats from an animal hoarder's home were euthanized at the Wake County Animal Center.

Jennifer Federico, the director of the Wake County Animal Center, said that many of the cats pulled from the hoarder's home were sick with upper respiratory problems and other ailments, and that there was a risk of infecting other animals in the shelter, which was already full.

Rachel Anderson, an independent animal rescue volunteer, started the petition calling for Federico's resignation.

"We would like to understand what they mean by, 'They're so sick that they can't be held another day.' Upper respiratory is not a death sentence," Anderson said. "Every animal I've ever pulled from Wake County has had an upper respiratory. It's common in every shelter situation. It's easily cured by antibiotics."

Federico said Wake County Animal Center contacted cat rescues in the area, but found placement for only 30 cats. Anderson said she finds that unacceptable.

"There needs to be a triage station," Anderson said. "Those animals need to held for a minimum amount of time."

Joseph Threadcraft, director of Wake County Environment Services, which oversees the Animal Center, said that there is information about the situation that has not yet been made public because of the ongoing criminal investigation surrounding the animal hoarder from whom the cats were taken.

"From the review of that data, I think the response was appropriate," Threadcraft said. "Euthanasia of animals is something that is taken seriously. But again, when all is taken in perspective, there were no violations of protocol."

FERAL CAT TRAP-NEUTER-RETURN AND OTHER ANIMAL CAUSES:

Celina Roy

like Francis implied I'm alarmed that a stay at home mom can make $8142 in one month on the internet. have a peek here ...❤❤❤❤www.bay91.com❤❤❤❤

November 30 2013 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally

The shelter director sould have been euthanised. The veterinarians should have free or very low cost clinics and there won't be such a over abundance of kittens. Our vets here cost about $200.00 to spay a female. I just keep all my unspayed females in one seperate part of our large patio and the males in another. Once in a while we have a clinic, but not very often. It is very sad that the vets take such an advantage of people who are on a fixed income,or on welfare. We all need to have our pets.

November 29 2013 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rocker

euthaniz that c u next tuesday

November 27 2013 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rocker

cats arnt the only thing that needs to be spayed and neutered all the leaches on walfare for starters

November 27 2013 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aabmhbetty

I realize there aren't enough room for so many animals and people should be more responsible when they have animals. neuter and spay is the answer if you want to cut down on euthanizing animals we all have to do our part to keep down the population of anmals

November 27 2013 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aabmhbetty

These places are not the best places for animals. We have an animal shelter in our area and every few years people are out there protesting about the euthanizing of the animals. If you go there to adopt a cat, as I have done and walked out without one, they make it so hard to adopt. There were about 50 questions you had to answer and one specifically sticks in my mind. I had to agree to never allow that animal out of the house. That is totally ridiculous. And of course you had to pay for the expenses spent on the animal by the shelter. I pulled a paper out and found many ads for many free kittens, which was what I wanted. I got the most beautiful gray tabby with the best personality any cat ever had. He was my baby. We had him for 19 years and he had a stroke in my house and we were forced to have him euthanized. I still miss him today.

November 27 2013 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen

Sad, but necessary. Spaying and neutering is the only solution. Two cats can produce a mind boggling number of offspring. Shame on the hoarder. She caused this, not the shelter director.

November 27 2013 at 8:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mrmom

the correct word is spayed not spade and you call pet lovers uneducated! Each cat should have been evaluated individually. I don't want to infect other animals either but any animal given love and tenderness can be socialized I have taken in a number of feral cats and they have become the most loving animals I have ever known

November 27 2013 at 7:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DOUG

Blame the hoarder, not the shelter. What could they possibly do? That many cats from a hoarders home are most likely feral and un-socialized. They would never be adopted. Would you take a feral cat home to your children? IT's sad, I agree but choices have to be made.

November 27 2013 at 12:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Linda

get your animals spade and stop these animal throw aways-thats the only thing that will stop this over population -its free or cheap at a lot of places-do it

November 26 2013 at 7:35 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply