Dog Eats Homework, Needs Emergency Surgery

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dogs, Health, Safety

An eighth-grade student's dog required emergency surgery to remove 50 sharp pins from his stomach after he ate the young girl's science homework, according to ABC News.

Dog Actually Eats Girl's Science Project, Needs Surgery


Payton Moody, 13, of Englewood, Colo., was constructing what sounds like a creative and fun volcano science project out of candy, including a chocolate mountain with red licorice for lava and blue M&M's for water. But on the advice of her mother, Payton used pins to keep all the candy elements attached.

"She used the pins because I didn't want the hot glue gun around her younger brother," Payton's mother, Kara Moody, said.

That proved to be a mistake. When the Moodys were away from the house, hungry family dog Reggie went to town on the candy volcano, devouring not only the candy, but all the pins Payton used to hold it together. That was doubly dangerous, not only because of the pins, but also because of the chocolate, which is toxic to dogs.

Fortunately, Reggie made it to the emergency veterinarian and received the surgery he needed to remove the pins and make a full recovery.

So did the mischievous dog learn anything from his ordeal? Nope!

"[Payton] remade it with the hot glue gun so there'd be no pins, and he still went after [it]," said Moody. "He didn't learn his lesson at all."

TEST YOUR PUPPY KNOWLEDGE! TAKE OUR QUIZ:

Puppies

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

14 Comments

Filter by:
noahpetskids

Forgot to mention that she can let herself out of the fence, opens single door refrigerators (only if there's leftover cheese pizza still in the box), the microwave (just in case I left anything in there), her crate when she feels like letting herself out and then opening my other dog's crate to let him out. She's very proud of herself. I love her to death and wouldn't change a thing about her. I'm lucky that she adopted me!

November 28 2013 at 4:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
noahpetskids

I have an extra bedroom that I put items in that I don't want my lab mix to get into. She learned how to open the door and fortunately did no harm to herself or anything in the room. Now the door lock is outside of the room instead of inside.She hasn't figured out how to open bedroom door locks but has mastered opening deadbolts.

November 28 2013 at 3:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nouras6

I noticed that dogs eat everything they find, while cats are picky and use causious, and they hesitate and smell and taste the thing before swallowing it.

November 27 2013 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TINA

TO WHOEVER SAID "HI TINA" HI BACK,,, I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES MY OLDEST BOYS NOW 25 AND 27 TRIED THIS TRICK, ONLY THE TEACHERS KNEW THAT MY OLDEST WAS VER ALLERGIC TO ANIMALS AND SO WE COULDN'T HAVE A DOG. SO THERE WAS NO DOG TO EAT THE HOMEWORK. BUT I DID HAVE TO WRITE THE TEACHER ONCE, OUR GUINEA PIG (ONLY ANIMAL WE COULD HAVE) GOT IN MY OLDEST BOY'S BACKPACK AND HAD A HAYDAY WITH HOMEWORK, NOTEBOOK AND BOOKS THEMSELVES. EVERYONE ENDED UP LAUGHING EXCEPT THE GUINEA PIG WHO THE VET HAD TO GIVE AN ENEMA. VET THOUGHT IT WAS SO RARE HE PUT IT ON HIS WALL AND BLESS HIS HEART DIDN'T CHARGE FOR IT, HE WAS AFRAID THE LITTLE PIG WOULDN'T SURVIVE THE ANEMA. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DOG.

November 27 2013 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo

When my students tell me that the dog ate their homework, I tell them to bring in the bits that the dog hasn't swallowed yet. Perhaps I should be including the visit to the vet by their pooch as well.

November 27 2013 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sutt202

All Labs are food centric. Food is their one and only motivator. Throw a Sheepdog a ball and he will do anything you want to teach him. Order a German Shepard with a stern command and he will do anything you want to teach him. With Labs there is only one way. FOOD. Don't ever leave your garbage can untended when you leave the house. It will be all over the place when you get home.

November 27 2013 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sutt202's comment
Jake

So true. We leave our lab in the master bathroom and shame on me if I forget to close the door to the toilet. If I leave it open there will be toilet paper all over the place. She would take it off the roll on the wall
and even go after the extra rolls I have stacked on a paper towel holder.

November 28 2013 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nlhorton41

Once is an accident, a mistake. Twice, not so much. If he ate it with pins in it, what in God\'s name would make you think he wouldn\'t eat it with glue on it? Either give up the project, or put it where the poor dumb dog can\'t get at it.

November 27 2013 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nlhorton41

Once is an accident, twice, not so much. When you know the dog ate it with pins in it, why would you think he would leave it alone with glue on it?. Put it where he can not get at it for God\'s sake.

November 27 2013 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scifly1

My rescued Dox-Bull pup got on the night stand and got my lower denture. I got a glimse of it as he carried it out the doggie door and have never seen it sinse. It cost right at $900 to replace it. Strange way to thank me for rescuing him, eh? I still have him and I'm crazy about him. He is a lot of company and fun.

November 27 2013 at 11:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tmsandrew

Labs, like my Golden Retreiver are kind of dumb. My Golden ate a 55 ounce container of Nutella, pulled it off the pantry shelf and god only knows how the heck he got the lid off, and licked his way down 55 ounces of Nutella goodness. I had oil fields in my backyard for a week. Yes chocolate isn't good for dogs but he claimed no knowledge of that.

November 27 2013 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Who is Cutest?

Like us on Facebook?