New Cava-poo-chon Designer Breed Deemed 'Perfect Dog'

the daily dish More on PawNation: Breeds, Cava-poo-chons, Designer Dogs, Dog Breeds, Dogs, New Breeds

What if we told you there is a breed of dog that is long-lived (up to 20 years, by some estimates), intelligent, hypoallergenic and - best of all - it never outgrows its cute puppy face? It sounds like a beautiful dream, but now it's science fact. The Cava-poo-chon is a new designer breed that has been called the "perfect dog," according to the Associated Press. Yet, some pet experts say the praise is mostly just hype.

The Cava-poo-chon is a cross between a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/Bichon Frise mix and a Miniature Poodle. Linda and Steve Rogers of Pine, Ariz., created the breed along with a geneticist and reproductive veterinarian. This newest designer breed is available now, but if you want one, it will cost you $2,000 to $3,500.

Cava-poo-chon owners say the steep cost is worth it.

"Never have we had a more loving, sweet dog." said Amy Wolf of Austin about her Cava-poo-chon, Callie. "We've met tons of people while walking her. We feel much more connected with this neighborhood than the previous one, all because of her. She makes us more approachable, and we feel a lot safer."

Some experts are less enamored by trendy designer breeds. Certified animal behavior consultant Darlene Arden says the Cava-poo-chon is just the latest in a line of breeds "with cutesy names that end in '-oodle,' '-uddle' or '-poo' that come with thousand-dollar price tags."

"There is no such thing as a teacup anything," Arden said. "It is a market term used by backyard breeders and commercial breeders so they can breed the smallest dogs that shouldn't be bred and sell them for a whole lot of money. These dogs usually end up having health problems and most veterinarians don't want to touch them because the organs are so small."

The American Kennel Club does not recognize the Cava-poo-chon as a breed, nor does it recognize other, similar designer breeds like Maltipoos or Puggles. Despite their catchy names and hefty price tags, these dogs remain essentially mutts.

"AKC does not recognize cross-bred or mixed breed dogs as official breeds," spokeswoman Lisa Peterson said. "These dogs are the product of two purebred parents of different breeds, resulting in a litter of mixed breed puppies, not a new breed, according to our requirements."

10 ADORABLE DOG MASHUPS:

deviant

Oh this is just ridiculous. There is no 'perfect breed'.

November 29 2013 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy Nelson

I agree! and most of them have been abused one way or the other! They are so loving and devoted to you. My was so protective she would almost bite some one,any ones that came to close to me. I'd had not seen a more loving or smart dog ever! I miss her so much! Just wish that some of these dog places would not cost so much. I could not afford them either. I rescued cloe right out of the arms of her abusers. If I could I'd take them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 24 2013 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaye1245225

i have 2 rescues one is a pom and the other is a wild woman that we think is part jack russell.my pom is now 13 yrs old and the other is around 3 the vet said. my kids say we love the dogs more than we do them. lol

November 24 2013 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C McArthur Rumrill

A designer dog is a MUTT - a shelter dog is a mutt - difference? THE PRICE !
Go to your shelter and save a life - ADOPT - DON"T SHOP. There are "designer" dogs at the shelter as well. Go to Petfinder !!

November 24 2013 at 3:04 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
C McArthur Rumrill

Designer dogs are MUTTS. The "mutts" at the pound are a mix - well so is a designer dog. Difference - you pay big bucks for a named mutt. DON'T SHOP - ADOPT ! Save a life !!

November 24 2013 at 3:02 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to C McArthur Rumrill's comment
steve_bakos

You obvious have never seen nor experienced the love these Cava-poo-chon have for people. I've owned a lot of dogs in my 68 years, and my Cava-poo-chon is the best dog I have ever owned. They might NOT
be recognized as a special Breed, but I guarantee you they are very special to their owner.
I would like to ask you a question: WHAT BUSINESS IS IT OF YOURS HOW I SPEND MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 29 2013 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pseuzieQ

Please don't breed or buy while shelter animals die. We euthanize over 40,000 animals per DAY in this country. Please, DON'T BREED.

November 24 2013 at 2:26 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Bree

Mutts usually do live longer, there are plenty of gorgeous mutts and purebreds at the pound. There was a little dog look just like this put down at the local county shelter over the summer, and he was just a pup a beautiful sweet pup.

November 24 2013 at 1:59 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Wanda Burke

This is ridiculous when there are to many dogs in shelters that need to be adopted and end up being killed. Some people have more money than they have common sense.

November 24 2013 at 1:42 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Denise Louise Newton

I did fall for a designer dog, a Shihpoo and I agree he is a mutt but he is the sweetest, most loving and very smart friend. I had a Golden Retriever before him and she was awesome too, sometimes when you meet a dog you fall in love , especially during the puppy stage. So it's a personal choice and I am happy with mine:)

November 24 2013 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Denise Louise Newton's comment
Karen C

My mom and I got a malti-pom because she's cute for one, and it's hard to find smaller dogs to be adopted in my area. Well at least while we were looking, once we got her they filled up the shelter. Ours is a no kill shelter, as is most around us.

November 25 2013 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tutu

I still maintain that a mutt is a mutt is a mutt...that would be any mixed breed dog. I am not saying that they are not cute and can't be good dogs...BUT when it comes to breeding..think on this, as with humans, the best traits are not always passed on..what would happen to the poor pup that has the worst traits of the breeds used to creat him? If you want one...find and dandy but do not brag about the out of line that you pay for him. Also suggest checking the local animal shelters if you just want a dog...there are many fine dogs there that could use a forever home before they are killed or as some like to say as it is nicer...put to sleep.

November 22 2013 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tutu's comment
mmace44

I agree a mutt is a mutt. no matter what name you give them. i love my mutt

November 22 2013 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply