Cats Inherit Money and Mansion in Tennessee

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Lifestyle, Weird

How much are you willing to leave your pets in your will? Everything? That's the choice Leon Sheppard Sr., 79, of Memphis, Tenn., made when he drafted his will. Sheppard left his 4,270-square-foot home and $250,000 to his two cats, Frisco and Jake. Meanwhile, Sheppard's five kids and their families won't see a dime - yet. The will says that the cats are allowed to remain in the house and continue life as they know it. When they both die, Sheppard's family will receive what's left. Watch the video for more details about these unusual circumstances.

Cats Inherit $250,000 After Owner Dies

davidsnellings

Just another piece of crap dad!

November 22 2013 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steph

To the one who is going on about how this person should have helped the children or the community or blah blah blah. How do you know they haven't been doing that his whole life? Maybe his community let him down somewhere down the line. Compassion isn't mutually exclusive. Maybe his family already made some motion that showed they would dump those cats first thing. I volunteer in animal rescue and SO MANY get dumped at the shelter after promising to care for the animals. You don't know the whole story. Don't judge what you do not know.

November 22 2013 at 10:08 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
bostonpd203

Hmmmm....................... I was thinking "what if the cats have kittens are they lineal descendants of the cats and covered by the will?"

November 22 2013 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bostonpd203's comment
TCHSPIRIT6

what happens when the cats die without having kittens? then who gets $$$ form the cats will?

November 22 2013 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bostonpd203

hmmm I was thinking what if the cats have kittens are they covered in the will?

November 22 2013 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linx

LOVE IT!! More people should do this instead of leaving to kids who only stay around for their parents money and wait for them to pass away.....

November 22 2013 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Linx's comment
exnavy2003

The man should never have stipulated that anything goes to his family after the cats were gone. The cats will have a short life now and its sad. Obviously the cats gave him more love than his family

November 22 2013 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Valerie Dawber Cloud

That's a horrible statement. You think that's what kids do?

November 22 2013 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tazridesaharley

I have dogs and cats.I love them as my children.I even refer tothem as "the kids".It is in my will that when I die that they not be put to sleep or taken to the pound,When I die they are to go to good homesAs far as this story the family has probably already had a small funeral out behind the pool housr for the cats.

November 22 2013 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ungrumpy1

Rofl, those cats will be dead real quick.

November 22 2013 at 8:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ungrumpy1's comment
Joanne Christie

That's for sure. ROLOL

November 22 2013 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karbear60

I am amazed at what people do with their money, when they could leave it to a school in need and in their name and do something for the future of our kids, thank goodness I live in an area where people do that, in their name and so much good Is done with the funds. One guy left a marsh land ponds and you have to see the kids learn from that, its awesome, the school was left land and is now a pre K, talk about doing good, and so much more. New busses, fantastic football stadium, can you see your name on it? I love my cats and dog, and have a person designated just in case, but if I had that kind of money, I would be giving it to the kids and in my name do some good, not this lonely man. so sad and all the good he could have done for his community, but he chose to do this insane act and he'll be known for that forever. sad life he must have had.

November 22 2013 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zygi & paris

He left the money to those that loved him. It just happens that it was cats.

November 22 2013 at 8:18 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
weupynder

People just don't understand how strong the bond can become when you are alone and they are your constant. Families go on about their lives while that precious animal stays by your side. I hope this family can understand and be respectful of this mans wishes. I hope they don't let money and greed cause them to harm these cats.

November 22 2013 at 8:14 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply