Rescued Stray Becomes First Dog to Reach Mount Everest's Base Camp

the daily dish More on PawNation: Awesome, Dogs, Talented

Dogs may be domesticated, but that doesn't mean they can't conquer nature. Case in point: A dog named Rupee just became the first canine to climb Mount Everest. Rupee used to be a stray, starving in a dump in India. Rupee's owner took him in, fed him and made him healthy again. Then she brought him to the top of the highest mountain on Earth. Learn more about Rupee in the video below.

Rescued Stray Becomes First Dog To Reach Mount Everest's Base Camp

11 THINGS DOGS CAN DO BETTER THAN YOU:

Amazing Grace

All my pets dogs and cats are rescues LOVE them all...I think they know they are special I chose them and love them so much everyday...you know how they blink at you right? I think they love me...lol

November 16 2013 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wntmoretime

all three of mine are rescues from the animal shelter one was an owner surrender two found on the streets..all three are my treasures and live the life of pampered pooches as they should

November 14 2013 at 10:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rpaulbroker

Please rescue a dog or cat. The love and satisfaction will never be understated.

November 14 2013 at 8:14 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
vlady1000

Way to go Ruppee!!! For those of you that comment about "poor dog had no choice", etc. base camp is nowhere near the top and is really more of a hike, not a climb to 17,000 feet. We use to take our dogs on top of many 14,000 in Colorado. They loved it and had a ball as we slide down the snow fields (in the summer) chasing us, etc. An active outdoor dog just wants to be with his/her owner and do whatever he/she is doing. I doubt Rupee's own forced the dog to do anything or put his life in danger.....use some common sense.

November 14 2013 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rmkm61

Do dogs go to heaven? If not I want to go where the dogs go.

November 14 2013 at 7:56 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Auntie's Mail

Yes, it's amazing what this abandonded & rescued dog has done in climbing Mt. Everest. I'm not certain I agree with this woman's actions in doing so. But, one thing I am in agreement with her is that she rescued an abandonded dog & saved it's life! When you see a stray please investigate or take the stray home. Abandonded animals are abandonded for a reason ~ to die a painful & lonely death. Please help us stop animal neglect & abuse ~ they're counting on us.

November 14 2013 at 2:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Auntie's Mail's comment
Sharon

You had me until the reason dogs are abandoned "to die a painful & lonely death". One of my adoptees was surrendered to a rescue because the bread-winner had serious medical problems and ended up in Government housing where no dogs are allowed. Another one was a victim of the housing fiasco - foreclosure, had to move, unable to take pooch. Both of those families continually checked up on their pooches until they found out I took them home with me. I was a volunteer with the rescue they were given to. Sometimes it's just a sad situation.

November 14 2013 at 7:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
karen

I'm sure any animal is ecstatic with the idea of being the "first" at anything. Do they have a choice? Sad what we do to animals.

November 14 2013 at 2:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
DrHallDental

Not the first dog at Everest Base Camp. I walked there with Ila Chering (Our Sirdar) in 1980 and his Laso Apso dog (sp. ?)

November 14 2013 at 1:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
chris constant

beautiful story awesome dog

November 14 2013 at 1:02 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Walt

THE MORE I KNOW ABOUT DOGS THE LESS I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT PEOPLE. ....

November 14 2013 at 12:49 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply