Black Shelter Pets Get Boost From 'Back in Black' Adoption Promotion

the daily dish More on PawNation: Adoption, Awesome, Cats, Causes, Dogs

For the third year in a row, Best Friends Animal Society is running its special "Back in Black" adoption event all November long. The national campaign cuts adoption fees in half for black-coated shelter pets to encourage more people to adopt black animals, which many shelters say have a difficult time finding homes.

"We all know that amazing pets come in every color, but strangely, pets in black often wait longer than their lighter-colored counterparts to get adopted," says the Back in Black website.

According to Judy Bowes, general manager of the Roice-Hurst Humane Society in Grand Junction, Colo., black-coated dogs and cats sometimes wait months longer for adoption compared to other animals.

"As a general rule, across the country, we have about 9,000 dogs coming into shelters every year that do not get adopted and a big majority of those are black," Bowes told the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel.

Despite this conventional wisdom among shelter employees and pet lovers, two separate studies conducted by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals say that black fur actually has no bearing on an animal's chances of being adopted.

The ASPCA's studies, both conducted in 2012, concluded that coat color "does not influence a person's decision to adopt and does not cause dogs or cats to remain in shelters longer."

Despite the ASPCA's findings, Judy Bowes and countless other shelter workers around the country insist that "black animals are the most overlooked adoptable pets." Hence the need for the Back in Black campaign.

Whether the ASPCA is correct or not, Back in Black has met with success. At the Roice-Hurst Humane Society, only two black dogs remained available for adoption as of Sunday, and the month isn't even half over yet. It seems that whatever prejudices some people might have about black coats, it's not enough to win out over a 50-percent discount.

For more information about Back in Black, and to find a participating shelter near you, visit the Best Friends Animal Society's website.

12 FAVORITE BLACK DOGS BREEDS:

kittymomma

We have 5 black cats, all of which adopted us. They showed up on our doorstep (over the last 6 or 7 years), and announced they were staying.So many people believe black cats especially bring bad luck, but we think that's baloney. We love all our furbabies no matter what color they are.

November 14 2013 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mj Drage

Paris, my sweet angel baby Kitty, is almost all black. She's. An angora Maine **** mix. I fell in love with her lovely face and her flooring.

November 14 2013 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicky Brault-Blackmo

I have a black cat that I got 2 sisters from a friend, the one sister died about a month after I got her, My other cat is Healthy and very lovable. I don't care what color my pets are the color has nothing to do with it pets don't choose what color they want to be they just are. I love my pets no matter what Color they are.

November 14 2013 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda Ewing Oldaker

Have a black cat that i feed from the neighborhood. Call it ebony, wish i could take it in but it fights with all the others that hang around.

November 14 2013 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gailscatz

Hey, I have 6 black cats......I don\'t care what color they are, the same way I like my friends!

November 14 2013 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gailscatz

Hey, I have 6 black cats......it doesn't matter what color they are, I feel the same way about my friends!

November 14 2013 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karmaman

We love our black coackapoo! Who knew human racism extends to other species? We consider ourselves the most intelligent life on the planet, but we aren't.

November 13 2013 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rnewtoy97

As a volunteer at Best Friends Animal Society, (Kanab, Utah) for the past 4 years, I have to concur that the "Beatiful, Black" animals are often there for more than one visit. I have 4 rescued dogs, two mostly black, that I saved before finding out about Best Freinds, and the next one will most likely be black.

November 13 2013 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cantyangeluv

I have a Black Cat....13 years old.... Diabetic...... Doing well.... happy.... Loving..... She is my heart!

November 13 2013 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cantyangeluv

I have a Black Cat 13 ears old.......Diabetic,.... doing well ... is happy in her own way.... Loving,
is my Heart !