World's Tallest Dog, Giant George, Dies

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dogs, Giant George, Great Danes, Guinness World Records, Paw Stars, Sad

Giant George, the Great Dane whom Guinness World Records recognized as the tallest dog in the world, has died.

Giant George weighed 250 pounds and stood about 43 inches tall (slightly over 3-and-a-half feet) at the shoulder. On his hind legs, he measured an imposing 7 feet. In 2010, Giant George's 43 inches of height narrowly beat out the 42.25 inches of another Great Dane named Titan, earning Giant George the Guinness World Records title of the tallest dog ever recorded.

Giant George's owners, Christie and Dave Nasser, announced his death on Facebook. "It is with a heavy heart that we announce Giant George died last night. Giant George passed away peacefully surrounded by loved ones; one month before his eighth birthday," the Nassers wrote.

During his life, Giant George achieved wide fame and popularity from his record-breaking physical stats. He appeared on Oprah Winfrey's television show and amassed nearly 200,000 fans on Facebook.

Most of the time, though, Giant George would spend his days lounging on his own personal queen-sized mattress, and eating about 6 pounds of food per day.

Giant George's owners pledged to preserve their dog's memory. "We appreciate the love and support you have given Giant George over the last several years," they wrote. "We look forward to honoring his spirit by continuing his charitable works."

Rest in peace, Giant George.

LEARN MORE ABOUT GIANT GEORGE:

Terri Persico Rimmer

I saw George on Oprah's show a few years ago. I knew that Greyhounds and Great Danes didn't live long because their hearts are bigger than their bodies. It has nothing to do with the owner. He had a great life and had great pet parents. To say otherwise is a heartless thing to say.

October 27 2013 at 2:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kkevra

So why is it that small dogs live much longer than large dogs? Do small people live longer than large ones?

October 25 2013 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tequillajohn

I have a Great Dane too,, his name is "BO".. Didn't even know George,,, but you know I loved him,,, R,I,P, Giant George!!! """Amen"""

October 25 2013 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I'M sorry for loss. I had a cat that i had to put down he was my best friend,i miss hima lot. still have my coco.

October 25 2013 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cozzod

the people breed these dogs to be huge for their own egos not for the health of the dog.
this dog probably would have led a longer life if the people who owned cared about the dog more than cared about themselves and the notoriety that the dog brought them

October 25 2013 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wjeauxdawg

So sorry for your loss! As a long time dog owner I have lost my share of fur babies. Only someone that truly loves animals can understand the loss. I hope you will find peace with your memories of G. George.

October 25 2013 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wjeauxdawg

Sorry for your loss! As a long time dog owner I have lost my share of fur babies. You never forget them and yes, they are our family members. You have to be a pet lover to understand that. May you find comfort in your memories.

October 25 2013 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fat Boy Slim

If you never had a dog, you woiuld not really undetstand the sadness of the loss.

October 25 2013 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stephaniern1

So sorry for your loss. May you find peace during this difficult time. Have been down this road few times but still loved every dog I have or have had as they give nothing but happiness and unconditional LOVE!. RIP Giant George.

October 25 2013 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
k2c2

Dogs have and give unconditional LOVE!
I truly feel for your loss!
Dog heaven is his new home!

October 25 2013 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply