FDA Warns of Pet Illnesses Related to Jerky Treats

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Dogs, Health, Jerky, Nutrition, Pet Treats, Safety

You may want to monitor your pet's health extra closely if it loves to eat jerky-based treats. The FDA has warned that some jerky pet treats have been linked to pet illnesses, with 3,600 dogs and 10 cats falling ill due to jerky in the last six years. Of those cases, 580 have resulted in death, according to CNN.

Dogs Dying from Jerky Treats, FDA Unsure Why

No recalls have been issued, as the FDA has not singled out one particular product or brand as the cause of this strange outbreak, although the problem seems to be related to chicken-based and duck-based jerky, and most of the treats implicated were made in China.

"This is one of the most elusive and mysterious outbreaks we've encountered," said veterinarian Bernadette Dunham, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine.

The FDA recommends that owners who feed their pets jerky treats watch their pets closely for signs of illness. Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite and sluggishness.

Owners who would rather stay on the safe side may wish to feed their pets any of the countless, non-jerky-based pet treats available. As another option, owners may choose not to feed their pets treats at all, as they are not a necessary component of a healthy pet diet.

The FDA asks that owners whose pets do get sick from jerky treats submit samples of the treats so they can learn more about this issue.

For more information, please refer to the FDA's fact sheet about jerky pet treats.

TOP ADVICE FROM DOG EXPERTS:

bayman82

I try to never buy anything made in China.....they have poisoned their own baby formulas!
Unfortunately, it's getting harder to avoid items made in China since so much product labeling no longer says where something was made.......Sneakily, all they will provide now is the location of distribution! So much of our own food is from China......so, making treats and food for our pets is better than buying them but is not a certainty that the food is not contaminated.

February 05 2014 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
devondra

buy a food dehydrator for a few 100 dollars, cut your chicken very thin and make your own jerky the few 100 dollar investment in a food dehyrator is better them a few 1000 paid at the vet to try and save our loved ones from these "mysterious" illnessess, and ps cat food made from china needs to be waatched and NOT feed as well it is not just the dogs they are trying to kill

October 26 2013 at 6:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
r5149

Why would anybody buy anything edible from a country that doesn't care about their air quality.
They are willing to sacrifice the health of their people for a buck. Why would they care about quality control of food items sold to us. I love my dogs & my kids & I will NEVER buy any food items from China.
BUY AMERICAN!!!!!!!!

October 24 2013 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caroline

I won't buy my pets any food/treats that come from China. there have been so many articles about the poisons they were putting in our pets food. wasn't it just a couple of years ago, they realized that arsenic was added in some dog foods.

China has absolutely no respect for animals. I've visited several websites, where they keep animals crammed in cages, (10-20 cats crammed in a foot high cage) & people come to the warehouse & buy them for food. They beat the animal, just to the point of death, but leave them slightly alive, because they think the meat will taste better if it's kept alive on the way home.....the customer kills it when they're ready to cook it.

They keep these beautiful animals in extremely inhumane conditions & as with your standard sadistic psychopath, have no concern for how it suffer. that country, can suffer as many natural disasters as Mother Nature wants to hurl @ them, I will never donate money to build the aid they seek or ever shed a tear for they shredded country they are left with.

October 23 2013 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CHRIS

WHAT TREATS ARE IN QUESTION?

October 23 2013 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chevymike7

More CRAP from China. All Americans should not buy ANYTHING from China. China has been poisoning us with lead paint on toys, contaminated food. We shouild ban everything imported from China.

October 23 2013 at 9:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
keysdiesel2

feed your dogs vegetables and fruits, just read the unhealthy list first..like grapes or raisins(and there are a few more)There is no need for store bought treats. Believe me, I raise Labrador's and nothing wants a treat more than them!

October 23 2013 at 8:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sunjoy777

beware of anything made in china remember back in 2006/2007 the pet food that was tainted our pets dying than lead based toys for our children. they been talking about this jerkey treat for awhile why ain.t if off the market?

October 23 2013 at 8:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

Mine used to get Waggin jerky treats with no problem but I threw them away when the reports came in. Now I have one pooch urping after a rawhide stick I've been using for years. Some blood in the urpage. Looked at the label - made in China. Tossed all I had! Scares the crap outta me they will soon supply the U.S. with chicken and Del Monte canned fruit!

October 23 2013 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charlie

Now China is buying our food suppliers and will be wanting to sell us our food. As far as my dog he loves jerky, I buy people jerky because that must meet standers of safety. At least for now.

October 23 2013 at 7:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply