Dog That Recently Ran Half-Marathon Dies

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dogs, Sad

Last week, we reported the story of Boogie, a chocolate Labrador Retriever in Evansville, Ind., who gained attention for crashing a local half-marathon. Sadly, Boogie has died.

Boogie's owners reported their dog's untimely death in a Facebook post. "It is with great sadness that we inform you that Boogie passed away due to a heart attack on Tuesday, Oct. 15," the post said.

Boogie gained international attention earlier this month when, after breaking his leash and escaping his home, he wound up in the middle of a local half-marathon. The mischievous dog ended up participating in almost the entire half-marathon, joining runner Kim Arney for 13 of the race's 13.1 miles.

Boogie was even awarded a medal for his efforts. "Because he did not officially enter the race, we do not have his race times. However, we are confident he set a new course record for an unassisted dog," Evansville police said in a statement.

Boogie's owner, Jerry Butts, says the half-marathon incident was a thrill for his dog. "He loved every minute of the attention," Butts wrote. "Boogie was a rascal and he went out the way he wanted, by being a little mischievous and not being too shy to soak up the glory."

Boogie's family is welcoming donations to the Vanderburgh Humane Society, Inc. in his memory.

Rest in peace, Boogie Butts.

HELP YOUR DOG LIVE TO 100:

njb227

Bye Bye Darling Boogie Butts! You surely have your doggy wings by now.
Please give a big bow wow hug to my doggy angels Katie & Sophie Maxine!
Love you!!!!
N

October 23 2013 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
njb227

Bye Bye Boogie Butts...you surely have doggy wings now!
Please say hi to my doggy angels Katie & Sophie Maxine!
Love you! N

October 23 2013 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
reallyohplease

Boogie...God Bless you! You are the champion that God made you out to be. The love of a dog no heart can contain all it's goodness. I pray God that you help the family and friends of Boogie in their loss and grief. May Boogie be in a place of peace, everlasting joy and eternal rest. He will live in the hearts and souls of those who knew his heart. Dogs are God's fur angels who walk the earth. Oe of the best gifts He has given us, lets hope we are worth it. Rest well baby!

October 22 2013 at 8:09 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Hansbury

Looks like Boogie reveled in his new found glory :)! Love the smile on the woman marathoner he chose as his running companion.

My heartfelt condolences to his family - gone too soon.

October 22 2013 at 6:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Hansbury

My condolences to Boogie's family - looks like he reveled in every second of his glory.

Love the smile on the face of the marathoner he chose to run with.

October 22 2013 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lindeez

The headline should read: "Dog That Recently Ran Half-Marathon Dies Because He Ran Half-Marathon"

October 22 2013 at 4:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lindeez's comment
hellyon3too

He did not die because he ran. If the Marathon had been too hard on him he would have dropped dead then, not a month later.

October 23 2013 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LOUISE LEE

When I was a little girl (a long long time ago) I had a dog named Wimpy ...my companion,
my friend...... then one day he started running round and round.....and fell dead...
I remember I didn't want my Dad to bury him...I cried myself to sleep......He was
black and white and very furry... all these years later, he never leaves my heart...
(I've had some humans "leave my heart"..... never, never Wimpy...

October 22 2013 at 4:28 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
gsw1618

some people have no business owning dogs they have to have one of everything

October 22 2013 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kalico500

Poor baby. RIP

October 22 2013 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry Thomas

I don't know what is wrong with people. People run marathon's dog's don't. It kills me in the summer when I see bikers or joggers run miles and their trusty "fido" running along side with their tongues hanging out the side of their mouths. Dogs don't have sweat glands, they sweat thru their pads. We have to be very careful to let our dogs cool down and not over exercise particularly on a hot day or they can easily have heat stroke. That's what could have happened here. I just wish people would have their dog go thru a complete physical, just as we should do to ourselves before entering an exercise program and most importantly talk to your vet about what exercise plan you have for your pet. This may have happened anyway but maybe not.

October 22 2013 at 12:38 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Terry Thomas's comment
Susan

Hold on there, Terry. I agree with what you say about over-exercising on hot days, etc. But maybe you should read the story again. Boogie "broke his leash" and then joined the runners on his own. Nobody over-trained him or pushed him to do this. He died more than a week later. Heart failure can kill a beloved dog whether he has been running long distances or not. I think it's terribly sad that Mr. Boogie Butts has passed away, but let's not get too irate at the humans in his life. Maybe we should focus on true animal abuse which goes on 24/7 in every town and city in this country.

October 22 2013 at 2:29 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply