Dog Escape Artist Slips Out of His Home and the Shelter

the daily dish More on PawNation: Adoption, Awesome, Dogs, Escape, Funny, The Dish

To earn a nickname like "Houdini," a pet would probably have to make a habit of daring escapes, and that's precisely what occurred to this family dog. According to WTXF-TV, Rope the Australian Shepherd, tired of waiting to be reunited with his family, escaped from a Colorado Springs, Colo., animal shelter on his own.

Escape-Artist Canine 'Houdini' Reunited With Owners

The 5-year-old dog was caught on camera making a sneaky exit from the local Humane Society. Through perseverance, luck and a bit of finagling, Rope managed to escape his kennel and exit through two doors to make it to the outside world.

"He had to actually push down the handle, push the door open and walk out in both cases," Gretchen Pressley of the Humane Society told WTXF-TV. "He let himself out of the kennel room ... and let himself out of the building."

After walking a mile and taking in the sights, Rope found Ashley Heister, who spotted him walking around her yard. Heister decided to take him in and dub him "Houdini." The dog's hijinks ended up on local news, catching the attention of Rope/Houdini's original family.

No surprise here, but Rope's escape from the shelter wasn't his first disappearing act. The Australian Shepherd slipped out of his home a few days before the Humane Society found him. The dog's family had been searching for the their pet when they caught the newscast. Rope's owners say the dog has been known to let himself in and out of the house if doors are left unlocked.

Rope and his family are now back together after a happy reunion. To ensure that Rope doesn't have another grand adventure, his owners are double-checking that all their doors are locked and that their slippery pooch is always being watched.

MEET BAMBI THE DACHSHUND EXPLORER:

miahart009

That is one smart dog. I can't believe he actually knows how to open a door. I think Rope's owners just might end up having to child proof the doors to ensure that he can't run off again.

Mia | http://www.mikecapwellroofingsiding.com

February 28 2014 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
siscosdad

I find that most dogs are smarter than most humans. This has been true for my lifetime.

October 15 2013 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dadorner

We all have pride in our dog! But let's be honest, we love them and their hijinks.

October 15 2013 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dadorner

My old Husky would put this dog to shame. He could climb fences, unlock and open doors and windows with ease. Climb anythig (he ended up on many roofs). Put him in a dog kennel and he opens it from the insdie, as he did on two plane trips, and at 5 boarding kennels. One place, I told them she was an escape artist. They told me there is no way thedog could get out. We laughed, as Bandit was standing behind them, having easily conquered the security door, kennel door and saftey door. They said, "oops".

October 15 2013 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hdhntr001

I had a German Shepherd that could climb a 12' chainlink fence. He would follow me down an ally by jumping over backyard 6' fences and walk a 6' brick wall like a cat. When he didn't show up one morning I started calling the shelters.
He got pick up by the pound.
I went to bail him out I checked his cage to make sure it was him first. I went and paid his bail and when I went back out I saw worker leading him back to his cage. He said this dog broke out of his cage and was sitting in the passenger seat of that blue 66 Chevelle Supersport in the parking lot. That was my car! If I would have know he would break out of jail I would never have paid his bail! All I had to do was wait for him with the car running and haul a** when he jumped bail....... Smart dog!

October 14 2013 at 10:57 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
grgrytckr

He is a free spirited boy.

October 14 2013 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
logst2

My Pit Bull dog got all your stupid dogs beat..in more ways than one. He can unhook his chain at his collar, he can climb over all kind of fences and if it is too diffcult he can run and jump over 6 ft fences, in the house if he wants to go out he'll jump up on an chair near you and tap you on your head, for the other part he beat up my 80 lb American Pit Bull Dog for bothering him and he weights only 60 lbs..I had to break the fight up because he was beating the other dog badly. His Name is Sammy Houdini...he thinks other dogs and some people are stupid ..by the way he looks at them. He has been like that ever since he was an pup.

October 14 2013 at 4:38 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to logst2's comment
judyrick53

get a bucket of grits..........

October 14 2013 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ethftb

ok i did not see him open any doors

October 14 2013 at 4:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
b.saranczak

Wow.... such a smart dog, unlike many dogs out there...
Come on! My dog can open the door handle, they are not stupid, and even wild dogs can do it too. It is like a baby seeing their parent doing the thing, and the baby copy their behavior. That is what dog doing.

October 14 2013 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cromleygd

Either the story is false or it is another example of poor reporting or the reporter needed to fill up "space".

October 14 2013 at 3:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply