Rescued Pit Bull Saves 4-Year-Old Boy From Blood Sugar Crash

the daily dish More on PawNation: Adoption, Awesome, Dogs, Hero Pets, Relationship, Rescue, The Dish

After a Minneapolis family rescued him, it didn't take TaterTot the Pit Bull long to return the favor. According KSMP-TV, the dog detected a drop in his new owner's blood sugar only a week after arriving at his new home.

Christi Smith adopted TaterTot from a local shelter and brought him home as a friend for her 4-year-old son, Peyton. Peyton and TaterTot bonded instantly, playing together from the moment the dog walked in the door.

Their bond was proven when TaterTot detected something odd happening to Peyton less than a week after arriving at the Smith house.

"He just seemed kind of weird," Smith recalled about Peyton's behavior. "He wasn't really coherent - deliriously tired."

TaterTot somehow knew it wasn't just a passing sickness. The 10-month-old dog began jumping on and licking the boy when he wouldn't wake up. Concerned by the dog's unusual behavior, Smith checked on her son.

"He kept on whining and barking and running between the two of us," Smith told KMSP. "I checked on him, and he was barely breathing."

Peyton was rushed to the hospital where his blood sugar was found to be dangerously low. Doctors said that without immediate medical attention, Peyton could have been seriously injured. They are unsure what caused the drop in blood sugar, since Peyton tested negative for diabetes, but they were able to get the boy stabilized and healthy.

Vets say that TaterTot might have detected ketones that Peyton was producing because of his low levels, or the dog might have sensed a change in the boy's electrical activity, similar to how dogs detect seizures.

Either way, Smith is certain that TaterTot saved her son. She originally planned to only foster TaterTot until she could find him a loving home, but after the Pit Bull's heroic actions, he is staying with the Smiths for good.

"I could have been one of those moms sitting there telling people how I lost my son," Smith said. Instead, she is a relieved mother and now the proud owner of a hero dog.

HOW PETS IMPROVE YOUR LIFE:

cheryaljohnson

I took away a 1 year old blue pit bull away from some people 2 years ago, she had never got to play in a back yard and was always on a short leash in a bathroom, I named her Kona. I have had her for 2 years now, I am a full blown grand mal epileptic, and on her own she will lay on top of me so I don't hurt myself. She has never even growled at anyone. But no one should leave a child with a dog they don't know. More kid's have been attacked by smaller dog's then pit's, I am so sick of people profiling this breed. Unless you have owned one i think you should keep your opinion to yourself. My dog got between a child and another dog, she just seemed to know, and the owner came running and said he is a vicious dog! So unless you've had a pit shut up!

August 09 2014 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cheryaljohnson

Well I took a year old blue Pit away from some people and brought her home, she had never been able to run in a back yard or off of a leash tied up in a bathroom. Kona is now 2 and I am a full blown grand mall epileptic, when I have a seizure she lays on top of me. If you have never had a Pit then you should keep your mouth shut, they are the most loyal dogs out there. But, no child should be left with any dog that they don't know!

August 09 2014 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Al Briggs

I used to get mad at the stupidity and ignorance in this country, but now I just point and laugh. I've volunteered, fostered and adopted pit bulls for a good chunk of my life, and you know how many deadly and tragic events happened? 1. My two dogs attacked 6 poor pumpkin spice donuts that were meant for me and my fiance. The poor donuts... nothing was left.

If you raise a dog correctly, love it and treat it like it should be treated... it'll be the best friend you could ever want or need. If you treat a dog wrong, abuse it and show it aggression, yes, it can cause harm to people. Educate yourself before you speak/type, allow yourself time with these animals and I guarantee you you'll be better off because of it.

October 09 2013 at 6:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lesley_turnbull19

I am not surprised, I get so sick of hearing how bad, how dangerous, how...whatever, pitties are. they are the best of dogs. I do wish someone had come up with a better name for the breed. It invites criticism ! We should really change it to discourage BSL.

October 09 2013 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nchafton

Being a mother of a type 1 diabetic (and married to a man who's been diabetic for30 years) and a pit bull owner you negative people suck. First off low blood sugars do NOT give off ketones that's high blood sugars. They're from the body not producing enough insulin to brake down the proteins that we eat so they escape in through the kidneys. If this boy was low there is no way ANY breed could have smelled them. It's more then likely his liver wasn't working right because that how your body naturally evens it's blood glucose out (if your body produces to much insulin for food liver will release glucose to compensate). Maybe that dog just found his boy and knew something was wrong. Is it that hard to believe? If is was any other breed like " BLACK LAB SAVES BOY" would all you ass hats that seem to hate pits like Catholics hate gays be like "awww what a awesome story. that dog deserves the key to the city." I find it awesome that this dog could save this boy right on pup and go mom for rescuing a pup. Get over yourself everyone and stop being so close minded just because it was one of those evil dogs that us humans have abused. We have over breed them, we fight them, we cut their ears off, we don't feed them and then throw them in a shelter when we don't want them (or work with them) or kill them. Seems like to me the only evil breed here are human. DO REAL RESEARCH AND GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!!!

October 09 2013 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nchafton's comment
Weblizard

Real research? I'd like to see the citations for your interpretation of ketones.

For the sake of your family members and readers here, here are some scientific facts:

Ketones are very much a sign of low insulin. One of insulin's roles is to stop fat from being metabolized to yield energy. One of the problems of low insulin is that fat is being used for energy instead of sugar. Two of the signs of low insulin/fat metabolism is a distinctive sickly-sweet smell of breath (think overripe bananas), and difficulty breathing. That smell is of ketones, a byproduct of fat being broken down, not proteins. Trust me, even our puny human noses can often smell that.
My source? The American Diabetic Association here:
There are lots of others, if you don't trust them.

Not all Catholics hate gay people. A bit ironic that you are raging against people making sweeping generalisms about pit bulls, as you make such a pronouncement against Catholics...

October 11 2013 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy

What a good dog!

October 09 2013 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joecas47

I'd rather leave my kid alone with some pit bulls before most people. Dogs are more trustworthy

October 09 2013 at 9:14 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jody

OMG..some of you REALLY don't know anything about pit bulls! They can be harmless as a poodle or a killer. ANY dog can be either way! You should actually own one befor you say things like.."never leave it alone with a child" If people were training poodles to fight, everyone would be a against poodles too!

October 09 2013 at 8:21 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
jcpac24

Parents better be careful-to have their son so close to this brand new pit bull is a no no.

October 09 2013 at 8:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HonknDodge

I myself would NEVER leave my four year old child alone with a ten month Pit Bull. Especially one that came from a shelter. It's a disaster waiting for a time to happen.

October 09 2013 at 7:08 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to HonknDodge's comment
bjabuckeye

I myself would never leave my child alone with most humans, but I didn't see anywhere in the story where the dog had been hired as a babysitter. Any breed of dog can have aggression, especially if it has been mistreated. I love dogs, including pit bulls; they are beautiful.

October 09 2013 at 9:39 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply