Shelter Dogs Star in CBS' New Show 'Lucky Dog'

More on PawNation: Adoption, Awesome, Cute, Dogs, Heart-Warming, Puppies, Training

A new show by CBS takes on a topic we'd like to see more of in network TV: shelter dogs. In Lucky Dog, airing Saturday mornings and premiering this weekend, animal trainer and behaviorist Brandon McMillan, the host, visits his local shelter to rescue "hard-to-love, out-of control, untrained, and unadoptable dogs." Then he takes the dog back to his ranch for training before finding each one a home.

This doesn't seem to be shoddy operation. According to his bio, McMillan trained as many as 10,000 dogs for television, movies, commercials, videos, and people before he started visiting shelters to rescue dogs, train them, and find homes for them.

"Over 1.5 million dogs are euthanized every year in America because they can't find homes. I'm just doing my part," he says on the show's website.

RELATED: Let's Talk: Should People Who Use Shock Collars Even OWN Dogs?

For the show, he spends each week at a shelter, evaluating dogs before picking one for the episode. Ultimately, he'll save 22 dogs in 22 weeks during the run of the show.

"I can only take one out. That means I have to walk by 99 I can't take. All 100 are very trainable, very place-able, and just as smart as the next dog. Often the one I choose just comes down to one I make a connection with," McMillan told the AP.

After he takes the dogs back to the ranch, he trains them in seven common commands: sit, stay, down, come, off, heel, and no.

"Less is more when it comes to dog training," he says.

RELATED: His Dog Ate $500 in Cash, So the U.S. Treasury Reimbursed Him

Then he turns his attention to finding the dog a home, interviewing families and visiting their homes and yards. The show ends with the dog and family meeting.

The show is aimed at teens 13 to 16 years old, and the dogs are going to families with young children. Because of that, McMillan won't be saving abused dogs, though he says that's a passion of his off-camera.

''The viewers that watch this show are not going to want to see a dog that's been in a fight. This is a family show," he says.

RELATED: 7 Ways to Pay It Forward and Help Get Dogs Adopted

McMillan was born into a family of animal entertainers, and he says he's been training animals since he was a baby. The show says he's "well known for rescuing dogs on death row, then turning them into well-trained pets, service animals, and sometimes even movie stars."

"My school was the school of hard knocks," he says. "All my educational background is from 100 percent experience in the field -- no books, no classrooms."

Are you going to watch the show? Let us know in the comments.

kathyvc

I love this show. I record it just in case I'm not home to watch it. It's educational, shows people that shelter dogs can be great pets, completely educational. Of course the trainer is not so bad looking either. Wish he traveled to homes to help dogs that are close to being sent to a shelter because of bad behavior.
I wish it was an hour!

Yesterday at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michele MacKay

Brandon McMillan is obviously very caring and gentle with the dogs, and they respond so well to him. He is saving their lives, because there time was up at the shelter. He also owns his own dog shelter, works with abused dogs, and trains service dogs for veterans. I started watching the show because I love dogs so much, and it's a big bonus there is such a good man helping the dogs.

June 29 2014 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee Ann

Just saw your show and love it! I always adopt! I have a dog now, that everyone that meets her totally loves!!! Her name is Kate and she is a husky/lab mix. She is a well behaved, good, and loving dog. My problem is she is aggressive towards other animals. I have seen her go after a neighbor dog and, if it weren't for our car in the driveway, for the other dog to go under, I am so afraid of what Kate would have done to her. I cannot take her for walks due to other dogs being off leash. Luckily, we now have a fenced in yard. When I take her to the vet or to be boarded, I have to go in forts to make sure there are no other dogs wandering around. When I think about having to take her to a shelter, I just CRY!! I hope you can help me with this problem!!! Lee Ann lebean@swbell.net. Thank you!!

April 19 2014 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda K

I watch Lucky Dog with my Bichon Frise mix named Lucky every Saturday. Lucky actually watches and listens for the dogs on the show! Love it! Way to go CBS for airing such a great family show.

April 12 2014 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dinnegatlf

Would you ever consider coming to Kentucky? My neighbor has a deaf boxer. Everyone has told her it can't be trained due to her deafness. Her husband is deployed in Afghanistan. The dog escapes and obviously due to the deafness is very hard to catch. Thanks, Mary

dinnegatlf@aol.com

April 12 2014 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
louiegr

So yes it's a good show if you believe the rhetoric! I just finished watching today's show where he rescues a Papillion. Yes his tips and tricks are great but his SELF certification of the dog after a visit to a senior home is such crap! I am currently in the process of training a stray rescue and YES deaf pit bull for therapy work. If there's even a glimmer of truth to what he did - and better yet certified it as a NON-OWNER running it through the full test - then frankly his certification for both the dog and a tester should be yanked! Yes good TV - but typical crap reality that true owners/trainers should bite back on! Enough of my two cents!

March 29 2014 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johnmcgee11

Awesome show. Please keep it airing. Don't cancel it

March 23 2014 at 7:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo Perkins

Brandon has such a gentle way of helping animals. Love the show. We are in desperate need of help with our recently adopted Shar-Pei/Terrier mix.We found Lulu at a wonderful no kill shelter where she had been for six months. Nobody wanted her because she is so terribly fearful of everyone and everything stemming from the abuse she endured. She has scars on her head,neck, throat and front torso; but they didn't beat the love and playfulness out if her. Unfortunately and understandably she has a very real and debilitating trust issue. We love her and we are desperate to help her learn how to trust again. Can anyone offer suggestions?

February 22 2014 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise Stolarski

I love your show. I wish there were more people like you in this world, it would be a much better place. Thank you for all you do.

February 15 2014 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison

I really wish we would focus our children on treating dog HUMANELY. That does NOT include the use of force or coercion. Very sad that there are pet dog owners watching this show that don't see the errors of his ways. Says something about our society, and it is not good. I would have thought we would have come further by 2014. :(

January 04 2014 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply