Next: What Can Dogs Eat?
We were never able to determine exactly what happened in this case. Was there some unique syndrome brought on by the massive amount of normally non-toxic mushrooms the dog ate? Did her lymphoma/chemotherapy play a role? Did the owners inadvertently include a toxic mushroom in the mix ... perhaps a false morel which can be difficult to distinguish from the nontoxic variety? I believe this last scenario is most likely, and while it probably doesn't bring the owners much solace, I like to think that maybe, just maybe, the dog's last gift to her owners was to save them from their own mistake.
Never, ever allow your dog to eat wild mushrooms. Theoretically, mushrooms from the supermarket should be okay, but after this experience, I can't even bring myself to recommend those.
Dr. Jennifer Coates
What You Don't Know About Mushrooms Can Kill Your Dog
Around The Web