Dog Survives House Fire by Hiding in Bathtub

the daily dish More on PawNation: Awesome, Dogs, Safety

Sparky the dog gave his family a scare when they were certain he had perished in the fire that destroyed their home. But the Chow-Terrier mix surprised everyone when he emerged from the house safe and sound, four hours after firefighters extinguished the blaze, according to WNYT-TV.

Joe Ventrano rushed home when he heard the house where he lived with his parents and two sisters had caught on fire. Ventrano's mother was the only person at home at the time, and she had gotten out safely. But the Ventranos were concerned about another member of the family who had not escaped the house: Sparky, the family dog.

"I got home and they told me we couldn't find Sparky anywhere," Ventrano said. "But everyone else was out of the house, which I was very thankful for. But, you know, he's part of the family and that's really hard to deal with."

Everyone in the family - and the firefighters, too - thought that Sparky must have died in the fire. That's why everyone was so shocked when Sparky came bounding out of the building four hours later.

Sparky apparently had taken refuge in the bathtub. "They said the fire stopped right at the bathroom door, which is nothing short of a miracle. And he hid in the bathtub," Ventrano said.

A veterinary checkup confirmed that Sparky made it out of the disaster completely unharmed. His family is happy to have him safe by their sides, especially after they thought they'd lost him forever.

LIFESAVER PET PRODUCT TIPS:

goodlucktu

Please don't lead on that this is a safe place to hide from a fire.. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 17 2013 at 8:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
havetafish1

God protects little children, dogs and fools.

September 17 2013 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theyup

I had a sheep just as clever once, it had a wooden leg.

A friend of mine asked me why it had a wooden leg so I told him the story.

My house was on fire; the sheep alerted all of us and got us out of the house safely.

It then ran back in and telephoned the fire brigade, it then took the garden hose pipe and put out part of the fire.

My friend then asked why did it have a wooden leg and I told him that such clever animals are rare and so I didn't want to eat it all at once.

September 17 2013 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theyup

test

September 17 2013 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vafaeead

I'm suprised she didn't die from smoke inhalation. Lucky dog.

September 17 2013 at 7:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tyatesh

Our poodle pup ran back into the house while the wife was trying to gather the pup's parents when our home caught fire. She tried to get it to come to her, but it wouldn't and the smoke was too thick to allow entry. After the fire, the fire the firemen found Bridgett - a little dirty but OK. It seems the ceiling had fallen and formed a shelter with an air pocket in which she survived. We call her our "Miracle Pup".

September 17 2013 at 6:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yaya990010

nice day,ha~

September 17 2013 at 5:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RJM

Oh thank goodness! So glad that Sparky (such a smart dog) survived the house fire. This is what I don't understand. You couldn't get me to leave my house without my pet(s), no matter how dire it was. I couldn't live with myself if I lost my pets because I neglected to get them out too.

September 17 2013 at 1:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
fmike4647

much smarter than people...

September 17 2013 at 12:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to fmike4647's comment
theyup

The people you know must be really dumb then.

September 17 2013 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CristinaAlmeida7

Amazing what a smart dog then again..luck..! hope he lives for a while now!

September 16 2013 at 11:41 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply