Man Escapes Polar Bear Attack Using His Cellphone

the daily dish More on PawNation: Attack, Bears, Canada, Polar Bears, Safety, Wild Animals

It is a common misconception that one should play dead in case of a bear attack. But if that's not the right move, what should you do? Based on Garett Kolsun's experience, you should hypnotize the bear with your phone. According to the Daily Mail U.K., Kolson, 40, saved his own life by distracting an attacking polar bear with his cellphone.

The polar bear attacked Kolsun in Churchill, Manitoba, Canada, which has so many polar bears in it that it's known as the "Polar Bear Capital of the World." Kolsun, newly moved to Churchill from Winnipeg, didn't know anything about that.

After spending last Friday night having drinks at a local bar, Kolsun was walking home early Saturday morning when he heard a sound behind him. It was a polar bear, seemingly out of nowhere, and it was charging at him.

The bear caught up to Kolsun, biting into the man's hip and swatting at him with its claws. Kolsun managed to escape for a moment, but the bear soon had him pinned against the locked door of a nearby building. In desperation, Kolsun used his cellphone to try to distract the bear.

"I pulled my cellphone out of my pocket, turned it on and the screen lit up," Kolsun sad. "I turned it towards the bear, put it in his face."

Amazingly, it worked. The bear was taken aback by the shiny phone and took a step away.

"When it stepped back, luckily, it knocked over a planter. It startled the bear and it turned its head. So when it did, I just ran," said Kolsun.

Kolsun escaped the bear and got himself to the hospital, where he was treated for the bear bites he suffered. He is now in stable condition.

Manitoba Conservation caught the bear on Saturday. It is now being assessed.

Meanwhile, Kolsun has some words of advice for visitors to Churchill: "​When you're in Churchill, take a cab. Or drive. Don't walk after dark."

PRETTY AS A POLAR BEAR – MEET THE CHINCHILLA PERSIAN:

aristocat101

The man obviously did something to the bear and the bear is getting back at me, the guy is just trying to make headlines

March 22 2014 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MYOB

Heck, I knew about the Churchill bears and i live in Chicago! He's from Winnipeg and never knew about the Churchill bears? Can't accept that level of stupidity, sorry. At least we can't blame Obama on this one, as it's Canada.

January 15 2014 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kjcm1955

I find this hard to believe.

September 18 2013 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BEWARE.. HUNTERS

Now what does the bear is being assessed??? Is that another word for euthanized??? Let us hope they released this bear. The bear was just being a bear you can not hold that against him. We people walk through their homes everyday and we do not even knock first.

September 13 2013 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
texassulcatas

I've actually used this tactic myself!! I have cows and they like to get out in the middle of the night. I was rounding the back side of my house not knowing my boyfriend was running them around from the front. I had my phone in my hand to help me see and when I saw this cow running towards me I picked my phone up, shined the light at her, and yelled at the same time. I suppose she couldn't see me since it was so dark. I think the combination of the phone light and my shouting is what did it. I fully believe it kept me from getting trampled that night.

September 12 2013 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikelookup

I say he is very fortunate. A polar bear is not like a black bear or a brown bear. The polar bear has one thing on it's mind, That is a meal. Food is in short supply in the Arctic. Garrett was a very lucky man!

September 12 2013 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ines

I just want to say how annoying it is to try and read something when an ad keeps popping up on the right whenever i click something - i like your site's layout, but the ads are a little much.

September 12 2013 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

How stupid, just stay out of the Polar bear's home area. I cannot believe that people are that danged dumb!

September 12 2013 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyberduk

It must have been an iPhone since most animals (including humans) go completely brain-dead in amazement when they see the shinny plastic object.

September 12 2013 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keysdiesel2

play dead my ass.Run like hell!

September 12 2013 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply