Farmer's New 'Sheepdog' Turns Out to Be Wolf

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dogs, Sheep, Sheepdogs, Wolves, Working Dogs

We've heard of a wolf in sheep's clothing, but how about a wolf in wolf's clothing? Zbigniew Pieczyk, 50, a farmer in Poland, took in what he thought was a stray puppy, and chose the animal to watch his flock of sheep. It wasn't until the "puppy" started howling that Pieczyk realized he had a wolf hiding in plain sight, according to the Metro U.K.

"I thought it was a sheepdog pup or a German shepherd," Pieczyk said. "When it started to howl every night, I realized I'd made one hell of a mistake and I called the police."

Fortunately, the wolf pup never attacked any of Pieczyk's livestock, although the animal no longer is in the farmer's employ. Instead, it will be returned to the wild, where probably none of the other wolves from its pack will believe its story about the time a farmer made it his sheepdog.

ARCTIC WOLF PUP DEBUTS AT ZOO:

Maria Bourne

to be honest wolves kinda do look a bit like huskies no surprise he mistook the wolf for a domestic dog

March 06 2014 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rudimario

Bet that wolf was one confused puppy. All the while thinking......"hey, aren't I supposed eating these meadow maggots?"......lol I've raised more than a few orphaned coyote pups and they are some pretty entertaining canines, smarter than smart and are a one person loyalty. Sad when they return to their wild state.....but life is what it is.

February 20 2014 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill Hancock

My family and I have lived with wolves and wolf hybrids for 40+ years. Best friends you can have and smart, too. I would have taken that pup in, given half a chance.

February 19 2014 at 1:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
nemonym

Can the Polish jokes. Poles gave us bulletproof vests, mine detectors, more than a few vaccinations & medicines you take today & if you don't know who Marie Curie or Nicolaus Copernicus are, you're the moron on the page. Every village has its idiots and unfortunately at least 2 posted here. ----Most people would not be able to distinguish a wolf pup from a husky or a sheepdog of certain breeds. I'm just sorry the farmer didn't seem too broken up over rejecting the puppy once it became clear "it" is actually a wolf --- "it" might've been trained (fed well) not to attack the sheep "it" was raised with... wild dogs would do the same.

December 31 2013 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Storm

I had a shep /wolf mix and he was the best dog of my life. We had a sumer home near Canada and after 4years of being with me day and night, he was accept by a pack and he left and went with them. A year later he showed up with his mate and two pups, He and the pups came to the house but the mate kept her distance, The year after that she came to the house with him and the pups, I missed him terrible but he was where he belonged with his pack. I made jerky huge bags of jerky in the sumer months and would take them to the woods at the first snow fall and he would come and take them. I was lving there ull time by then and the snow was so deep that food had to be scarce for them so I would try to help him and other animals out with salt licks and oats and such for the deer and vegies for the rabbits and nuts for squirels, Then one very cold winter he didnt come for the food, I never saw him again. I hope that they had just moved on to a warmer place I will never know but I loved that mixed breed and he was a loving animal and breaks my heart that they want to kill them all, slaughter them I should say, If I could have another pup I would take it in a minute, But things have changed now too mny people hate wolves , so sad.

November 22 2013 at 2:12 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
nohmadd13a

I have a wolf now, and she is the sweetest thing, well as far as her pack is concerned, but she dislikes other dogs totally. Just one of their traits of course living with 5 other dogs might be all the pack she desires, and of course her humans. Glad the pup was not destrouyed

November 14 2013 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
msnono

can you say \"Dumb Polock\"

November 12 2013 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karen and pitts

poor old guy was a sandwich short of a picnic. apparently hasn't heard the old walks like a duck quacks like a duck hey its a duck thing

November 03 2013 at 12:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RockNHula

I think being "polish" helped him mistake a wolf for a sheep dog.

October 18 2013 at 5:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
PierMG27

Hmm. That sounds very strange to me.

October 08 2013 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply