Black Rhino Bites Woman During Denver Zoo 'Meet and Greet'

the daily dish More on PawNation: Attack, Exotic, Rhinos, Safety, The Dish, Weird, Zoo
A black rhino at the Denver Zoo was not in the mood for visitors. According to Fox News, one of the visitors who paid extra to feed and touch the rhino had her finger bitten by the animal. Ouch!

Mshindi the rhino nipped the woman's hand while the visitor was feeding the endangered creature. The woman was taken to a nearby hospital immediately after the incident. Neither the hospital nor the zoo have disclosed the extent of the injury.

Staff at the Denver Zoo believe that Mshindi did not intentionally harm the woman. The facility has run the rhino "Meet and Greet" program for several years without issue. The program allows zoo guests to pay an extra $60 to have the opportunity to get close to the rhinos and touch the animals.

The "Meet and Greet" program is currently suspended while the zoo investigates the incident. The Denver Zoo also has to report the injury to their accrediting agency, the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, for investigation.

TOURISTS TERRORIZED BY ELEPHANT ATTACKING CAR WHILE ON SAFARI:

sam54ct

Maybe they did not expect it, but most peope know, after Hippo's, Rhino's are one of the most dangerous animals on the face of the earth.

August 30 2013 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dudemanbran

She must of got some good weed there to pay an extra 60 bucks to get bit.

August 30 2013 at 6:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rafse5

I think she got a deal. You would think it would normally cost $150-200 to get a Rhino to bite your fingers. I wonder what kind of medicine they give you for a Rhino bite ( a tribute to Carlton Blanchard )?

August 30 2013 at 4:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LorinThePhotographer

Meet and greet a rhino? LMAO- What do u think is a going to happen?

August 30 2013 at 2:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hiram517

Maybe it was a warning sign.Next time wash ur hands

August 30 2013 at 1:57 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
heartytrue

I learned that long ago from my Dad who was a farmer "they don't know where the carrot ends and your finger starts". :)

August 30 2013 at 1:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Harriett Kenny Brook

Well I don't know about everyone else but I feel cheated no one ever paid 60 dollars to get bitten but one of my kids. Sometimes you just don't want anyone to touch you and especially when you don't trust them I might have bitten her to. That's why we teach our children you don't always touch.

August 30 2013 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gmattice401

Meet and greet with a wild animal? that is literally one of the stupidest things I have ever heard in my life.

August 30 2013 at 12:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gmattice401's comment
Louis

Agree with you 100%

August 30 2013 at 7:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christi

The animals are retaliating for being held in captivity.

August 30 2013 at 12:53 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
IRON CHEF LIM

I have no pity for anyone stupid enough to trust a wild animal.

August 30 2013 at 12:38 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply