Family Dog Found Alive After House Fire

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dachshunds, Dogs, Heart-Warming, Safety

The Trafton family of Austin, Texas, suffered a tragedy on Sunday when their house caught on fire and was completely destroyed. Adding to the loss, their cat died in the fire, and one of their four dogs, Peanut, was missing as well. He was presumed dead, due to the extent of the damage the house sustained.

"I had been asking them for two days to just find his body, so that we could get him taken care of. Because, there is no way we would have thought he would have survived," said owner Gail Trafton.

But on Monday, when an insurance investigator was looking at the property, she noticed a Dachshund in the house. Sure enough, Peanut was alive and well.

Now Peanut is reunited with the Traftons, providing a ray of sunlight in a terribly difficult week for the family.

Thank goodness for insurance inspectors.

WHO'S CUTEST? VOTE NOW:

Velocity105

I'd like to know how Peanut survived. Did he take a bag of Wishbone Dog Chews into a closet and hang until State Farm dude found him?

August 29 2013 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bjamebon3

Whaaaaat , I thought they were going to say they found gold ,or money in the burned up walls. All they found was this mutt lol , only kidding haha.

August 29 2013 at 1:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bjamebon3's comment
Gabe

Oh my gosh I thought I was the only one that is exactly what I thought!!!

Ha Ha Ha

August 29 2013 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Beard

poor dog survived the fire, only to be given a bath and dryed on the GRILL? lmao!

August 29 2013 at 11:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tom Beard

wonderful. this poor dog survived the fire, only to be given a bath and dryed on the GRILL? anyone care for some beans with their franks? lmao!

August 29 2013 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimmyreed4

The dog was hiding because it probably STARTED the fire.

August 29 2013 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arenadood

Sometimes Animals can amaze people with their survival skills.

August 29 2013 at 10:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

I'm glad Peanut is safe.
I have to add seeing your family name in the news is erie. My maiden name is Trafton and I had a sister named Gail. I'm sorry about the loss of the other pets but I'm glad the family is safe. You never know, we might be related.

August 29 2013 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

I'm glad Peanut is safe.
I have to say, it is very strange to see your family name in the news. My maiden name is Trafton and I had a sister named Gail. It's not like its a common name.
I'm sorry for the loss of the other pets and I'm glad the family is safe.

August 29 2013 at 9:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dexrmerritt

thanks god it wasn't a human we would have never heard about...love humans more than critters and trees...

August 29 2013 at 9:34 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dexrmerritt's comment
jimmyreed4

lol

August 29 2013 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hattie54

Good news but sorry on the other pets and losing their things.What was the cause of the fire ?

August 29 2013 at 9:15 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply