Dog Thief Unwittingly Gives Couple Their Own Stolen Dog

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dogs, Legal, Relationship

When Kenny Erickson and Ashley Preston had their Pit Bull, Lexi, stolen from their yard on May 6, the couple launched a campaign to find her that lasted for months. It was only recently that someone tipped them off about a woman nearby who was trying to give away a dog that matched Lexi's description. They met with the woman and, sure enough, she had Lexi.

Erickson and Preston were excited to see Lexi, but fought the urge to tip their hand, keeping calm and maintaining the story that they were just another interested party considering adopting a dog. Preston said it was very difficult to remain calm.

Of course, no one was able to explain the situation to Lexi. She went bananas with excitement over seeing her owners again for the first time in months.

Lexi's behavior didn't betray the ruse to the woman who was giving her away. She simply thought it meant the couple and Lexi had a good connection. "She took to you so well," Preston recalled the woman saying.

The woman admitted to Erickson and Preston that the dog was stolen, saying it was her incarcerated nephew's dog, and that she would have to check with him before giving the dog away. But Erickson and Preston were through waiting, and called the police.

Today, Lexi is back home where she belongs, and the woman who had her, Janice Wolfe, has been cited for possession of stolen property. But Erickson and Preston aren't finished taking legal action.

"I'm going to pursue charges," Erickson said. "I want people to know if they steal a dog, people will keep looking and ... you will be caught and you will be in trouble."

WHY DO DOGS EAT GRASS?

James

I really wish people would realize it isn't the breed of the dog that makes them bad, it's us. I'm so tired of us, "the intelligent ones" who say a certain breed of dog is what makes them dangerous. I'm a cat person and I even know that.

September 01 2013 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mlock2354

I have 2 Boston Terriers and people come up to me all the time asking if they are Pits. This just goes to show lots of people think any dog with a pug nose is a pit. Atrue Pit Bull if raised and trained in the right manor is a great family dog, it is the owner who ruins good dogs and not just Pits.

September 01 2013 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mykecusa@netscap

WOW ! 'You will be in trouble' This will keep people from stealing dogs in the future. Revenge is never a good course of action to teach.

September 01 2013 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mbcip54

I just hope they learned their lesson and don't leave the poor dog unattended in the yard again.

September 01 2013 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mbcip54's comment
Kara Smith

Left the dog unattended? What he should have been in a pen or something out in his own yard? NO excuse! A dog has a right o be outside in his own yard for awhile!

September 01 2013 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janie

Bravo! These are the kinds of stories one LOVES to hear about! I hope this woman and her "son" face any and ALL charges possible including monetary restitution, jail time, and then hundreds of hours of community service cleaning poop at a high-kill shelter in broasting weather. Maybe they'll think twice in the future about being the cause of heartbreak, stress and misery for innocent pet owners and their furry family members, and learn one of the very basic lessons from childhood that their parents neglected to teach them...IT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU. But then that requires a conscience....something omitted from such trash during their genetic creation.

Bless this family and their sweet (and very lucky) dog, Lexi!

September 01 2013 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rogerssparks

GREAT FOR THEM NOT SO GREAT FOR THE BABY GET RID OF THAT MUTT BEFORE SOMTHING BAD HAPPENS TO THAT BABY

September 01 2013 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rogerssparks's comment
christina

Why would you say this? Have you ever had a pit? No or you would no better they love babys and will protect them . Looser.

September 01 2013 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to christina's comment
What's Shakin T

Loser

September 01 2013 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
goodheart2002

I have two beautiful blue pitbulls, I have been raising them since they were born (literally) I have found both my babies protective of my son as well as all the grandbabies. I read where in the 1700's and 1800's pitbulls were nanny's to young children. I love and spoil my pits like they are my children and have been rewarded with faithfulness and lots of love. Anyone believing the hype about pits are seriously ignorant and need to actually research the stories, most pit attacks are triggered by abused pits or pits raised for fighting purposes. Not the animal but the owners of those pits should be put down

September 01 2013 at 2:04 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Lorraine Landsbe

we have a very loving bichon and she lives with a very large flat coated retriver they love each other..

September 01 2013 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony Soldados Mal

good for them im proud of that family for pursuing there pit and getting lexi back i had my first pit bull "jewel" stolen from me when i was 11 and it really hurts it was like my sister got kidnapped or my friend was gone forever.....and for everybody giving pitbulls a bad rep there naturally protective dogs and yes they are an agressive breed but it all depends on who raised them and how they were raised ....chijuajuas are more agressive then pit bulls but you dont here people trolling them all the time.....leave pits alone

September 01 2013 at 1:52 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
mksrs

My neighbor where I used to live had a rottweiler. He was a police officer. Any time my kids (6 & 9) were out in the yard that dog would constantly run the fence line barking at my kids. I would never leave my kids unattended in the yard even when I was out there. I would never even just run in the house to get something. I had a 5ft chainlink fence that was turned upside down so the spikes were on top. We eventually move away.

September 01 2013 at 1:48 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply