Owner Finds Stranger Walking Her Missing Dog In Neighborhood

the daily dish More on PawNation: Crime, Dogs, Heart-Warming, Legal, The Dish, Weird
There have been several stories about missing dogs traveling great distances to reunite with their owners, but all Mickey the Boston Terrier had to do was walk down the street. According to WMUR-TV, a woman who had been searching for her dog for six months spotted him being walked in her neighborhood by a stranger.

Natasha Curtis and her family were close to giving up hope on finding their pup Mickey, until Curtis happened upon a strange sight at a Dunkin Donuts drive-thru. Curtis was waiting in her car at the coffee shop a block from her home when she saw her dog walk by, leashed to a stranger.

The 8-year-old Boston Terrier disappeared last winter, when one of Curtis' kids accidentally let the dog outside. The family figured the dog simply lost his way, until Curtis saw him at the drive-thru. Shocked and confused, Curtis called to the dog from her car. Mickey responded by trying to run to his true owner.

Realizing this Boston Terrier was actually her beloved pup and not just a look-a-like, Curtis approached the man walking Mickey. The dog walker called his wife to the scene, leading to an argument between the three about who the pooch belonged to. Police eventually arrived and determined that the wife of the dog walker found Mickey and kept the dog as her own instead of returning it to Curtis.

After confirming the microchip in Mickey matched the Curtis'' information, the dog returned home to his ecstatic family. The woman who found and kept Mickey was arrested for receiving stolen property and is due in court soon.

What Pup Is Cutest? Vote Now!

frankwalker30

As a brit living in Cyprus we see it all the time that dogs and cats are abandoned, consequently we now have 13 cats and 3 dogs. Our last dog is a young Min Spitz who was chipped but not recognised in this country. We tried to find the owners but were unable. We have gone through the proper channels of registering the dog to us and now legally belongs to us. I could imagine the altercation that could arise if someone came up to me and said it was his/her dog and demanded it back. As an expat living in Cyprus, I want to say that Brits are as bad at abandoning animals as other people.

September 02 2013 at 1:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nancilittle00

I rescue in Miami Fl down south in farming country... also the dumping ground for unwanted dogs. Dade County refuses to do anything about the horrendous stray dog problem and won't build even a drop off/holding shelter SO instead of driving over an hour to Hialeah.. a place NO ONE wants to go to...dogs are driven South and West and dumped. I have found many dogs with only half dozen chipped. An old sad Yorkie had an owner that hung up every time I said we are calling because we found your dog. The County called the owner and spoke Spanish to them; same response. The County said bring the dog IN and make a report about the terrible (2,000 ticks on that little frail body) condition and they could fine the owner $50, but would euthanize the old man. Well, Yorkie Rescue saved me .. I got him all healthy and they took him in. Another, a yellow Lab, showed up.. no collar but CHIPPED and the owner was here in 10 minutes and said when he disappeared he had collar and tags and had been gone 6 months (if only they could talk). Another case was a dog hit by a car and lying in the middle of the road, unable to use her back legs. A bystander called 911 and a cop did show up; dragged the dog to the side of the road and left, saying Animal Control will be there before morning. SERIOUSLY! We took the dog to the local ER for animals and she was chipped! I would have HAD to put her to sleep as xrays and possible surgery for a stray was out of my reach. As it was I was planning on having to pay the $180 euthanasia and disposal out of my pocket if I had to.. BUT, the wonderful Owner came, paid to stabilize her, called me to tell me she was up by morning unsteady but on all fours.. and xrays showed nothing broken! My bestest ever rescue night! CHIPS ARE LIFE SAVERS. But SO important to remember that ANY time a phone number is disconnected or changed.. you HAVE to keep your chip supplier.. Home Again, etc....UPDATED or it is worse than useless.

August 26 2013 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steise63

Ok just a moment here - I had the same thing happen, only I was the person who found the dog. I went DOOR TO DOOR in my community, looking for the owner, I walked the dog every day and asked all the other dog walkers if they recognized the dog, I went on the internet to all the lost doggie sites and put up an ad, I put up posters - nothing. I also scanned the ads in the local papers and called anyone who had lost a dog matching this one. I took him to a vet, told him the I found the dog and asked for a checkup and he did that -the dog was very ill when I found him and he was put on antibiotics. I was told they checked for a chip and there was none. After a full year, I decided to have him neutered because I could not find the owner. THIS vet found a chip (I asked him to look for one) and called the owner. The owner did not WANT THE DOG! That's why they never responded! One of my neighbors finally owned up that she did know whose dog it was but didn't tell me because the owner was so negligent. She had found the dog in the past, taken him to a dog shelter which refused him entrance because of our zip code(thank God). Later, when she was walking dog, the guy's roommate came by and said, "Oh that's my roommate's dog". Again he had made no effort to find the dog and no collar... She told me she hadn't told me before because the dog had been out for a couple weeks before I found him, sick, and no one could catch him. He came to me because he fell in love w/ my huge, female Grt Pyrenees and I looped leash over him and brought him home. He's my thousand dollar stray because of the vet bills. The previous owner told me he had replaced the dog (who had an insulting name) with a "duplicate" who looked exactly like him and his girlfriend didn't know the first one had been lost!!!!!!! Now, my little guy is loved, cared for, has a best dog friend and a loving owner who takes him to the beach and he sleeps w/ me ...he has toys and fun and friends and good health. So in a way, yes, I took the guy's dog. But the difference is that I really tried to find the owner. Turned out he lived in my neighborhood the whole time! What a weird guy! He has moved since and doesn't want the chip people calling, lest his now wife know what happened. So we had to put in a new chip instead of just changing the info on the old chip! What a mess!

August 24 2013 at 4:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to steise63's comment
Jeff

Well you're certainly in the right in your situation, steise63, and as you said to the tune of about $1,000 in vet bills. The owner's boyfriend made deliberate attempts to get rid of the dog because it was sick and he probably didn't feel like paying for vet bills, or whatever (I'm not sure how the first vet missed the chip, unless that vet was working with him, which I guess is possible). At any rate, I think you did the right thing.

This lady with the Boston Terrier obviously made no attempt to, however. This day and age I would think anyone who loves dogs would take one in to a vet or shelter and have it checked for a microchip before they decide to keep it. We've had both our last two dogs microchipped, and the last one, well, that was more than 20 years ago, so the technology has been around for quite some time.

Were my little Tater Tot to wander off and somehow lose his collar (which has a name tag with our name and phone number on it, plus his rabies tag), and someone find him, I'd certainly hope they'd have him checked for a microchip (which I think PetSmart and PetCo will also do, for free, before just deciding to keep him. I know I'd do it, if I found a dog.

The lady with the Boston Terrier appears to have been looking for just a cheap way to get an expensive breed, I think, and she deserves to be charged with a crime. I can't imagine what that family has gone through for the past six months. I'd have been out of my mind. I don't have a wife or kids. My little dog and elderly mom are it. We'd both be lost without him!
Jeff Hayes

August 24 2013 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janet2derek

it is easy to go and have an animal checked for a microchip and return the poor animal to its rightful owner. The true owners had had the dog for 8 yearsand the woman who stole him is heartless to the rightful family. I hope she spends time in jail to teach others to do the right thing.

August 24 2013 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wntmoretime

while morally its wrong, if it wasn't for for people taking in stray dogs many would not have homes. Now did this woman look for her lost dog such as posting flyers? I don't think she should be arrested

August 24 2013 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cigar154

If a normal person knowingly finds a lost dog and keeps it , and then an owner claims that it their lost dog YOU DON\'T ARGUE! She wouldn\'t have been charged had she done the right thing and verified it was the ladies dog and returned it. I\'m glad he is back with the family he belongs to.

August 23 2013 at 11:35 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Dick

walk the dog into any vets office and see if its microchipped its as easy as waving a detector over the dog. dont try to love someone elses dog.

August 23 2013 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robcabob1

a Dog walks up to you and you keep it and you get charged with "Receiving Stolen Property"????? if it did not have a visible tag, then that is TOTALLY BOGUS. I'd ask the judge to arrest the "Giver" of the stolen goods. You can't "receive" something that wasn't "Given" to you , can you?

August 23 2013 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to robcabob1's comment
Gina

i agree! that is so ridiculous, a LOST dog is not stolen property.

August 23 2013 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erlynnwa

If the person didn't do one single thing to find the owner, then that is theft. This dog was microchipped and one quick visit to a local vet and/or humane society would have confirmed that this dog did indeed have a home and family it belonged to. What about putting up posters? Lost and found ads? Any true dog lover would do everything in their power to find the legitimate owner before opting to adopt the dog themselves. This person rolled the dice by keeping the cute dog they found, and they lost. She should indeed be prosecuted.

August 24 2013 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
crockjack

I don't think the lady who found the dog should have any legal problems
to contend with. I don't think she knew who the owner was because a
"microchip" is hidden, and I'm sure the lady that found the dog didn't even
think about possibly the dog have a "microchip"! I'm sure if there had been
clear evidence of the owner on the animal, she would have returned it. I think
maybe she should have placed a lost and found in the paper, but being
arrested to me is a little harsh for the matter!

August 23 2013 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rae Lynn

Keeping someone's pet is like kidnapping a child.

August 23 2013 at 10:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply