Shark Attack Survivor Shares Her Story

the daily dish More on PawNation: Attack, Awesome, Fish and Marine, Scary, Shark Week, Sharks, Wild Animals

It's Shark Week, and some of the most captivating aspects of shark lore are stories of survival from shark-attack victims. One of these survivors is Heather Boswell, who was 19 years old when she squared off with a great white in 1994. Boswell shared her story with Discovery for Shark Week.

Woman Speaks About Surviving Shark Attack

"I turned around and I saw his dorsal fin," Boswell told Discovery. She added that the shark wasn't scary at first. "It was kind of gentle for a shark. It was kind of just chewing on my ankle," Boswell said.

But as a rescue boat came to retrieve Boswell, the shark bore down on the teenage girl, clamping onto her leg. "That was the only point I thought I wasn't going to make it," Boswell said. Luckily, she was pulled to safety, but not before leaving behind a pool of blood in the water, and presumably a frustrated great white shark.

Boswell's is just one of several stories of shark survival featured on "I Escaped Jaws," part of the Discovery Channel's Shark Week programming.

AMAZING PHOTOS OF GREAT WHITE MID-LEAP:

Gandhi Warhol

Today's "Good Morning America" features an awesome shark repellent wetsuit by Surf Lady Veronica Grey http://gma.yahoo.com/video/buzzfeeds-best-ways-celebrate-shark-141730406.html

August 07 2013 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ptrisha85

Like any animal, it doesn't exactly like to share its meal.
I assume that the shark clamped down upon the arrival of the boat because it didn't want its food taken.

August 07 2013 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hexene

Yes, she did lose a leg.

August 06 2013 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BradyBeans

"Did she lose a leg?" from so many people. My question, exactly. Neither the video, nor the print, tells if she lost a leg or not. The video even hints that she might have lost both legs. The whole thing is an ad for the series, in which (I assume) we will learn what happened, and not before.

August 06 2013 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fivetoejoe

did she lose a leg???

August 06 2013 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kim272727

I LOVE Shark Week!!!

August 06 2013 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
raptureready1958

biting her ankle and she say's it was gentle. Stupid.

August 06 2013 at 5:53 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to raptureready1958's comment
tsh85

I agree. "The shark was gentle, he was just chewing on my ankle." What a stupid think to say. I'd love to know how a shark gently chews on somebody's ankle?

August 06 2013 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tonia Lynn

Anyone know if she actually lost her leg? Just wondering...I hope not, wouldn't have wanted to be her!

August 06 2013 at 5:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
orthocarept

what was she doing 2000 miles off of South America? Was she by herself?

August 06 2013 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve

if it happens again,remember to reach into the back of your shorts,grab a handful of poop (it will be there) and rub it into the sharks eyes,they hate that.works for bear attacks too
your very welcome