Vet Accidentally Euthanizes Pet Cat

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Euthanasia, Sad, Veterinarians

A family's 6-year-old cat in Sand Lake, Mich., was accidentally killed after a miscommunication led its veterinarian to believe the animal was meant to be euthanized instead of given a sedative, according to WOOD-TV.

Shimmy's owners brought the outdoor cat to Sand Lake Veterinary Services for a checkup after he began losing weight and stopped going outside. They explained that Shimmy could be difficult to handle, and they were told he would receive a mild sedative to keep him calm.

While they were in the exam room, Shimmy's owners watched Dr. Deirdre Hall administer what they believed was the sedative, but after a few seconds, Dr. Hall pronounced Shimmy dead. Shimmy's owners were upset, confused and angry.

Ken Hall, Dr. Hall's husband and owner of the clinic, said, "My wife believed the family wanted the animal put down. Upon putting the animal down, we realized the owners did not want that."

Hall added, "The service is not what they were looking for and it's very unfortunate."

Shimmy's owners say Dr. Hall didn't check the cat's chart. The Halls admit Shimmy's owners never signed anything, and they never had a clear conversation or agreement about what treatment Shimmy was going to receive.

"Our goal is not to injure animals or kill animals," Dr. Hall said. "We want to save them and have everybody be happy and healthy."

The Halls have changed their policy so that in the future, all pet owners must sign consent forms before their pets are euthanized.

Shimmy's owners have started a Facebook group, "Justice for Shimmy."

DOG FREQUENT CHURCH-GOER SINCE OWNER DIED:

bejit22

What an incompetent boob! How insensitive and cold and unprofessional can you be!? She didn't even give them a chance to say goodbye to the cat, as most vets would do. And they also say are you ready to put her to sleep now. She just jumps in and puts him to sleep! I hope the publicity shuts these idiots down! The fact that they not only didn't give them a chance to say goodbye (and stop any change of minds or accidents like this!) but to put a perfectly healthy beloved pet down is reprehensible!

August 09 2013 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nila Atkins

Excuse me,but the owners never signed any paperwork to Euthanize their cat. And you went ahead and did it anyway? Nor was their any communication ever mentioning that treatment. And you never listened for a heartbeat to make sure that he was gone? OMG you sound like the most irresponsible vet on the planet. When My cat had to be put down. The vet I used had me sign a release to do so. Any good vet will always discuss treatments and options. I hope that you never receive another client after this fiasco. You put down an animal that only needed sedation. You are Horrible and negligent.

July 31 2013 at 5:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ed1844

It's too bad, "unfortunate" in the incompetent vet's usage, that the courts consider pets as essentially worthless, for that precludes suing that incompetent vet out of business. Veterinary medicine is an honorable profession, but it's marred by too many incompetent or uncaring vets. Some, like this vet, are more suited for work in a slaughterhouse.

My family dog was killed by a procedure done by an incompetent vet.

July 31 2013 at 10:50 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jwise89025

How horrible, I would be devestated!!!

July 31 2013 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thornbyac

How do I unlike? Accidently hit Like. Ugh wanna b sick. Anyone who think's killing an animal needs to be put down. A animal kills that's why we are called humans and they are called animals. I feel terrible for that poor family. Been to Sand Lake too.

July 31 2013 at 6:39 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bucknut

Just Think Of All The Animals The Cat Killed, Then Maybe Justice Was Served !

July 31 2013 at 5:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bucknut's comment
Chris Sanchez

Are you a vegan? No? Then just think of all the animals you have "killed."

July 31 2013 at 9:20 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chris Sanchez's comment
One2Trek

Shut up I say we slaughter and eat vegans. I enjoy my body being a critter graveyard, I will send you my feces so you can grow your wheatgrass. I hate vegans we should put them on farms.

July 31 2013 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
nouras6

I know that money is not a sufficient compensation for the loss of a loved one, like this adorable cat....but it seems that the main concern of this stupid, unqualified vet is money. SUE....and let her suffer the bitter feeling of loss.

July 31 2013 at 5:16 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
One2Trek

The cat couldn't shimmy its way put of this..so much for nine lives..Dr. Hall says here you go mam your cat is very sedate now. Guess they could take it to a taxidermist and change the name to Stuffy.

July 31 2013 at 5:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to One2Trek's comment
gabbygabstoo

Ass!!

July 31 2013 at 6:23 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jdhuegel1

Your grammar completely ruins any attempt at humor you may have been attempting. Want some advise? Don't breed. Humans are already stupid.

July 31 2013 at 7:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jdhuegel1's comment
One2Trek

Only liberals don't breed they are too busy calling animals and illegals their children,

July 31 2013 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
flyual737

Outrageous! This clinic needs to have their license either revoked or suspended for a long time. The accidental euthenization of a pet reveals a fundamentally flawed organization. A failure to provide a system of effective safeguards undoubtedly questions all other protocols and procedures. For this they are beyond redemption.

July 31 2013 at 4:35 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
yukidongo1

"The service is not what they weree looking for, and it is unfortunate..." ???????? The emergency room service is what they'd be headed for if it had been my cat or dog. That is about the most cold and calculated reply I have ever heard come out of a vets mouth! What about...I am so very sorry I didn't listen to you when you expressed your concefns about your cat! I was so far out of touch that I put your beautiful cat to sleep, rather than realizing that he probably just needed NEUTERING to calm him down, or maybe he had bladder stones. Any person who is aware of this should never take another pet to them. And, I hope the family does sue. They deserve thousands...for the shock and the fact that those vets killed their cat because they were to aloof to listen to the people.

July 31 2013 at 4:02 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to yukidongo1's comment
gabbygabstoo

I totally agree. The "so called" Doctors comments were completely void of remorse, compassion and empathy. This is appalling!! What the hell kind of a VET is this? Never heard, seen nor experienced such lack of communication and information from an animal hospital, clinic, Doctor, emergency room in my life!

July 31 2013 at 6:49 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gabbygabstoo's comment
jdhuegel1

Doctors do not have time to feel. They have a job to do. If doctors let their feelings control them, the vets office would be a circus side-show. Secondly, how exactly are you assuming the VET is to blame? I've seen so many stupid owners bring in animals for euthanization when all they needed was their nails clipped. If you don't like the vet, I suggest you get a darn degree yourself and see what it makes of you.

July 31 2013 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
jdhuegel1

Neutering doesn't calm cats down. I have no clue where you got your PhD, but you should give it back.

And if you think ruining the vets career over one mistake is worth it, then I suggest you kill all the pets this same vet saved in their career. Makes sense, right? Just like your ignorance.

July 31 2013 at 8:04 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply