River Otter Attacks 13-Year-Old Girl

the daily dish More on PawNation: Attack, Otters, River Otters, Safety

A river otter attacked a Washington state girl who was swimming and playing in the Kalama River last Wednesday, biting her several times on her legs, according to KATU-TV.

Kierra Clark, 13, was playing in the river with her younger cousin when she was attacked. "At first it felt like somebody was just, like, grabbing onto my leg with their nails, and then it felt like somebody was like stabbing me, kind of," Kierra said. "It was probably one of the scariest things ever."

As Kierra emerged from the water with blood streaming down her legs; her grandmother, Arlita Schlecht, described the sight as like "a scene out of 'Jaws.'"

It is suspected that Kierra may have accidentally gotten between a mother otter and her babies, prompting the attack. Craig Bartlett of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife says many animals have newborn babies this time of year.

Kierra went to the hospital with several bites and scratch marks, but after receiving a tetanus shot, she should be fine.

"I didn't really know what was in the water at first," Kierra told KATU. "So that was like the worst thing ever, because that's like my biggest fear - to be attacked in the water."

Despite experiencing her biggest fear, Kierra says it won't keep her from having fun in the river again. She plans to go swimming as soon as her wounds heal.

OTTER IS SPITTING IMAGE OF FAMOUS PAINTING "THE SCREAM":

Emmett's being framed, I think it was a member of the River Bottom Nightmare that attacked her.

August 07 2013 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Once had a cat who tangled with one: Otter-1, Cat-0. The vet stopped counting at 18 punctures.

July 30 2013 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
biker82112

Down South here, us bubbas take great pride in the number of different animals that have bitten us (usually discussed over a beer or two). This little lady sure got a new one on us.

July 30 2013 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

I had a cat who tangled with one. Cats are pretty tough, but was definitely the loser . The vet stopped counting at 18 punctures.

July 30 2013 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
otownmorris

I had otters on Lake Conway in Orlando, FL they are smarter than a dog and are not afraid of humans. They were like a gang of thugs on my geese and ducks and would take them right out of your hands. We moved and have them at the new house but they are not as bad. I used to trap them and take them to the airport waterways and they would come back. They will act cute and roll around and make cute noises until you get your hand near and then they will eat your fingers I had a stick behind my finger and it bite it into pieces so fast you almost couldn\'t see it. Don\'t mess with them!

July 30 2013 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thisisaidan2

Oh, come on! She barely has a scratch! Next time she should pay attention to where she's going.

July 30 2013 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anniems

Those are some nice molars!

July 30 2013 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wiseeyes52

git the shotgun Jed

July 30 2013 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ljnace

No way would I want that otter biting me. By the looks of the 2 front teeth the otter was trying to send a message rather then do real harm. The 2 in the front could leave a lot bigger wound on the leg on that child. That tells me the otter tried to scare her off.

July 30 2013 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William Cohan

Otters are adorable, stay off their turf and you wont get hurt.

July 30 2013 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply