Dog Bite Leads to Triple Amputation for Single Mom

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dog Bites, Dogs, Health, Sad, Safety

When Buster the Shih Tzu gave his owner a small bite while playing tug-of-war in May, she brushed it off, even letting her other dogs lick the bite. But the wound became seriously infected and as a result, Christie Caron, 49, has had three of her limbs amputated, according to the Daily Mail U.K.

The bite that Buster delivered became infected with Capnocytophaga canimorsus, a bacteria common in dog and cat saliva. Doctors are not sure if the bacteria came from Buster himself or one of Caron's other dogs that licked the wound, but three days after the bite, Caron went into septic shock and was hospitalized.

Woman Bitten by Pet Dog Loses Legs and Arm from Bacteria

Caron was placed in an induced coma for six weeks. Due to a lack of blood flow caused by the sepsis, doctors were forced to amputate her left arm and both her legs. Her right hand also sustained serious damage and will require skin grafts.

Dogs bite 1 million Americans every year, and the chance of infection is between 3 and 20 percent, according to the Daily Mail, but in healthy adults Capnocytophaga canimorsus does not normally cause as serious a reaction as Caron has suffered.

Expert Dog Bite Prevention Tips:

hebythesea

I thought Canadians all had government health insurance..I mean the donations are sure to be needed to help her out..but I thought she would be covered..if anyone knows something more about this situation please comment on my comment

July 24 2013 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jtbenzman1

I see people letting their dogs kiss them in the mouth all of the time and let the dogs sleep in the bed with them. YUK!

July 24 2013 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ggbarden2

This organism was isolated from blood cultures of two men in the microbiology laboratory where I worked in 1980. At the time the organism had only recently been characterized, and it was then known as Center for Disease Control group DF-2 (Dysgonic Fermenter #2). Our patients did not require antibiotic therapy, and both recovered completely from their infections.
The report of these two cases, one of the earliest reports of infections with this organism, appeared in the Archives of Internal Medicine, 1980, vol. 140 (5), pp. 657-658 (Robert Schoen et al.). Although unknown at the time if there was a connection with the infections, we noted that both patients had experienced recent dog bites.

July 24 2013 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

Take the picture down now. It's been up all day. She seems pretty happy for what happened to her....smiling like that , I mean. I don't think I would be.

July 24 2013 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rtickatt3m

My mom in law was just bitten on July fourth by her dog..in three hours her finger doubled in size..we took her in to emergency room and they admitted her and kept her a full week. She is 86 and she wouldn't go herself..we had to take her. This story was an eye opener for her..

July 24 2013 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pjgblg

Don\'t know what she\'s smiling about. Poster girl for idiocy. Her kids will have to pay for her stupidity.

July 24 2013 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whiskaz454

When I get bit I wash immediately and make sure the wound stays clean. I surely would not let another animal lick it. So stupid.

July 24 2013 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sacibee

Wow this is a sad story. What else was wrong with her before all of this happened?

July 24 2013 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metusmetu

I thought this was a bunch of malarkey when I first read it, OR this woman is extremely susceptible, or allergic to something in the dogs saliva. As was stated in the video this condition has only been found in 200 cases "worldwide" in the last 30 to 40 years, so that makes it rare.
An for all of you on this board "ranting" about using peroxide to clean wounds, I only have this to ask, have any of you ever heard of "alcohol"?? The 91% kind that really kills the germs??!! Yes, it really works good, and yes it burns, but that means it's doing it's job!! So, use it on wounds when possible, and you can buy it at Wal-Mart in a huge bottle for next to nothing! Do not do as Sadiemae said and wait for the bleeding to stop, by that time some germs could have gotten into the blood stream, so use the alcohol, or peroxide ASAP! I've been bitten and scratched by dogs, cats, raccoons, rabbits, rats, mice, snakes, bear cubs, cougar cubs, lion cubs, wolf pups, you name it, in some cases pretty bad, over the years, and not once did I have to go to a doctor! Use 91% alcohol, Neosporin (triple strength) if you can find it for a dressing, and bandage with sterile "CLOTH" bandages so the wound can breath. Change the bandage, reclean, dress, once a day.

July 24 2013 at 8:24 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to metusmetu's comment
bazinga_bbt

Alcohol & peroxide are both good, however, I found that you have to watch which one you use and when. There are times that alcohol should not be used because instead of helping the wound, it can make it worse because when you apply it, it can push the infection in, as in a puncture wound. You're better off with this type of injury to use Peroxide because it bubbles out from the wound. Just thought I'd pass the fyi on.

July 24 2013 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robbie

OMG ... you let your other dogs lick an open cut????? What am I missing????

July 24 2013 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply