Dogs Can See in Color

the daily dish More on PawNation: Awesome, Discovery, Dogs, Science, The Dish
Forget "50 Shades of Grey" - new research has revealed that dogs can see more than just black and white. According to The Smithsonian, the research shows that canines are able to see a range of blues, yellows and browns, similar to the sight of a human who is red-green colorblind.

This visual breakthrough was discovered by a group of Russian researchers. The scientists came to this new conclusion through a series of tests. Dogs were set in front of several different sheets of colored paper, which hid feed boxes behind them. If the pup being tested chose the right color, the animal was rewarded with a piece of meat in the feed box. Most of the furry subjects quickly learned what colors led to chow, which suggests their vision goes beyond black and white.

To ensure that these canines were not memorizing shades instead of colors, the researchers conducted several tests. For example, a dog would be shown a bright blue piece of paper alongside a dark yellow piece of paper. If, in this case, the dark yellow piece of paper hid the food, the next set of test would have a bright yellow piece of paper and a dark blue piece of paper, with the bright yellow hiding the food. In this situation, most dogs went back to the yellow sheet looking for food, even though it was a different shade, showing that the animals knew the color not the brightness.

Based on the results of this study, it is now likely that canines have two color receptor cones, not just one. This allows them to see more colors than previously thought, but not all the hues that humans can see. This is because humans usually have three color receptors, which allows for the red and green shades dogs seem to be missing. Although dogs may not be treated to the entirety of the rainbow, they are able to enjoy a more visually vibrant world than we once believed. This means no more wearing brown shoes and black pants when you walk your dog. They know how it looks, and they are embarrassed for you.

How Much Do You Know About Dogs? Take the Quiz Now!

mer96rm

I didn't need a scientist to tell me my my dog could see certain colors. I took in an American Bulldog that had to be given up because an older, male St. Bernard, in the household where he lived, didn't get along with him.
After I took this dog in, I would walk him everyday, and a man who owned a bright yellow car and had a St. Bernard would be parked along the road to go hunting. My dog always became very agitated when he saw the yellow car with the St. Bernard in it. Within a short period of time, my dog became agitated when he noticed any yellow car. That's when I realized he could see the color yellow, but I also realized he made the faulty assumption that all yellow cars were filled with mean St. Bernards. : )
When you share so much of your time with intelligent animals, you realize what they're capable of long before a "scientific" study comes out reinforcing what you already knew.

July 23 2013 at 12:18 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
syl1969

Anyone who has or has had a dog, knew this! I never for a second thought the only saw in shades of grey. Have seen too many dogs pick out toys by color on demand for this not to be true... sheesh

July 22 2013 at 7:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
forwardlook1957

Why not conduct a study to see if men really prefer women with large hooters to flat chested hags. makes about as much sense as the money wasted on this study.

Everyone knows dogs can see color. I think scientists cant see color..and have 2" peckers.

July 22 2013 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
muffin

Everyone who has owned an animal has numerous stories of their animal being able to see colors. While these owners believe what they see and know, this story just proves it scientifically (unless the meat was not covered in some way to mask its smell). There are all types of scientists who study many things. We do not need to condemn the scientists for wasting time and money. Our animals are better off for the many discoveries they have made, and continue to make, that enhance the lives of animals.

July 22 2013 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Flacon

I am being saboteured cant get face book any ideas

July 22 2013 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Flacon

qhar about my sisy cat what colors does she see?

July 22 2013 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gailsunday

good thinking to the poster who recognized the dog probably "smelled" the meat!! hehehe, I am pretty sure THAT was correct....And yes animals do think contrary to what human ignorance prevails....I have been around many types of animals all my life....cows, horses, dogs, cats, pigs, many wild animals....and have been constantly amazed at the inventive, original and remarkable ways they have figured out how to achieve a task, or something they wanted.To this day the feats of my "friends" I have known thru out my lifetime still bring me such a sense of awe on recall....and continue to reinforce my appreciation and love of the animal kingdom which far to many humans fail to understand our critical relationship with and to. If we continue to decimate the planet as we have over the last 200 yrs. we are also killing OUR Home, ourselves and our children....and Governments of the People of the World better really start getting down to Earth nifty-gritty pinpoint focused serious about this.or we become Venus....

July 22 2013 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mskok

I had a German shepherd dog, and I was throwing an orange super ball when it was winter. He couldn't find the ball when it landed on the snow-covered ground. I assumed it was because dogs are color blind.

July 22 2013 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
susansussen

I always knew that dogs could see color. Even though it is said that dogs don't see red, I think they do see red. My Brittany Spaniel growing up only attacked people (playfully) if they were wearing red. We tested this theory many times over his 19 years on this earth. We would have the same person put on another color and he would not go after them. When the color red was then revealed again...he went for it.

July 22 2013 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to susansussen's comment
val

If animals are color blind and can't see RED why does red make Bulls go crazy?

Even when I was a little kid I said animals saw colors. I know my horse did.

July 22 2013 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csunbean

https://www.facebook.com/Walkforvictimsofpbodd An event to spread awareness and support victims. Free family activities, police security onsite, food, bounce tent for kids, speakers including FORMER pitbull owners that saw their dog attack unprovoked and as usual, the dog wouldnot let go. Come on out.. Candle light vigil to memorialize victims at dusk & more. Come support victims, spread awareness, and have fun. Print off a flier, Like us on Facebook, ask your church to sponsor a victim\'s trip to the event, or organize a sister event!

July 22 2013 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply