Dog Almost Dies From Swallowing Tennis Ball

More on PawNation: Dogs, Puppies, Sad, Safety, Tennis Ball, Weird
A Husky nearly died after playing a seemingly harmless game of fetch with its owner in Brighton, England. Now, a leading animal charity is urging dog owners to stop playing this game with their canines.



It happened one afternoon when Anna Dziedric was at the park with her Husky, Pax, and her Jack Russell, Pixie. "The dogs were happily playing with tennis balls, like usual," she said.

Pax began throwing the tennis ball up in the air and catching it in his mouth like he always did. But when it was time to leave, Pax didn't have the ball. Dziedric figured he had lost it somewhere in the park, but the unthinkable had happened instead - her dog had swallowed it.

It wasn't until a week later that Dziedric realized what happpened. "He became really poorly over the next week and so I was worried about him."

Dziedric took Pax to the animal hospital where they took an X-ray, which revealed the problem. The ball was lodged in his abdomen.

"I was stunned when PDSA called to reveal how ill he was and what the problem was," said Dziedric.

Pax was rushed to PDSA surgery and the ball was removed from his stomach.

Since then, Pax had made a speedy recovery, but will have a scar on his abdomen to remind Dziedric of the horrible scare. Needless to say, Pax and Pixie do not play with tennis balls anymore.

Last year, the PDSA treated more than 100 pets for ball-related injuries, which included intestinal blockages and eye injuries. Always keep a close watch on your dog when playing any ball-related games, fetch included.

Help! Why Is My Dog Eating Garbage, Underwear, Poop and More Weird Stuff?:

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

28 Comments

Filter by:
Auntie's Mail

Animals are just like children ~ they need age & size appropriate toys. Just ask Oprah Winfrey whose dog suffocated to death because she got a ball stuck in her throat. Please tell me animal owners are smarter than this woman. Let this life threatening story open your eyes ~ please. Don't allow your animals, supervised or not, to play with toys that aren't age or size appropriate! This is a life saving tip & your animal(s) are worth it.

July 04 2013 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moeelmore

We had a neighbor who owned a St Bernard named Sn'jin. They used to walk the dog near some tennis courts and the dog ate tennis balls several times - they spend thousands of dollars on vet bills for that critter. I never could figure out who was dumber, the dog or the owner.

July 04 2013 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mjle

We have always "doggie proofed " all our animal toys for our dogs and cats, no bells ,no noise makers, nothing smaller then a wide open mouth, that also goes for socks, string toys no plastics etc.
We have removed the noise makers from the toys, strings chews toys etc. if you care for your pet like you would your children these things wouldn't happen. They are very lucky that these people don't all injury their pets. Happy that the resullt was a happy ending

July 04 2013 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
redheartangel

Keep them away at all cost. My now 7 year old had to have a piece of a tennis ball removed when she was just 8 months. The vet gave us the choice of having it removed for $1800 or just letting her go and get a new one for less... I am not using the vet any longer, but will not allow them tennis balls. Even Large Kongs my beagle had chewed apart in seconds

July 04 2013 at 11:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hookedup5055

If dog owners avoided all the toys not to let a dog play with, they would be left with nothing but their tail to chase.

July 04 2013 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arenadood

We just used a stick about as long as our dog, they had a blast retrieving and no way she could swallow it.

July 04 2013 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angie Stansell

you should always use a ball that is bigger than the dog's throat passage anyway, or a hard rubber ball if your dog likes to crack tennis balls. Use common sense rather than fear and educate your consumer. Fetch is too much fun for the dog to use fear mongering to stop one of the best ways to play with and exercise you dog.

July 04 2013 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cherylhaass

Too much emotional hyperbole. Are we going to try to make dogs 100% safe from life like we try to make kids 100% safe from life? Life is NOT safe. Dogs (and kids) swallow things. Stuff happens, get used to it. Use your brain for something besides holding up your hair. And live your life, don't hide from it because it's not "safe"!!

July 04 2013 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joeomar

Stupid. The message here shouldn\'t be \"quit playing fetch with tennis balls\". It should be \"don\'t use dog toys that are small enough for them to swallow or choke on\". First of all, there is NO WAY that was a normal full-sized tennis ball. The dog didn\'t \"choke\" on the ball, he SWALLOWED it. Even my Great Dane couldn\'t actually swallow a full-sized tennis ball, he\'d choke on it first. Second, why fixate on TENNIS balls? My Australian Shepherd once swallowed a piece of rubbery plastic he tore off a toy; it blocked his intestines and he had to have surgery to remove it. What\'s the message I should get from this story - \"it\'s okay because it wasn\'t a tennis ball?\". Dumb.

July 04 2013 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tracyfmga

I believe that it happens more than we hear about, I heard a story several years ago very similar, and the dog died. My aunt and I have Pomeranian/Chihuahua mixes, and she bought some miniature tennis balls for them to play with, and after I told her what I had heard in the past, we did away with those balls. I've also seen a story where a large dog didn't quite swallow the tennis ball, but somehow managed to get it lodged in the very back of his throat...he couldn't get it out, he couldn't swallow it, but I think he turned out okay after a trip to the vet. I love my pomchi, Tinky, and I will do anything to keep her safe; I can "Tinky proof" a room in 30 seconds flat, just as I used to "baby proof" a room very quickly when my children were curious babies/toddlers.

July 04 2013 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Who is Cutest?

Like us on Facebook?
window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push( {flush: true} );