Newly Discovered Fungus Endangers the Lives of Dogs and Cats

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Dogs, Health, Kittens, Puppies, Safety
A research team at the University of Sydney has discovered a mold called Aspergillus felis, which can have fatal consequences if you or your dog or cat come across it.

This mold has already claimed the lives of countless pets and one man.

There are various kinds of mold that fall in the Aspergillus group, many of which cause serious diseases in humans and animals. If inhaled, the fungus can grow inside of the nasal passages, sinuses and lungs. It can then spread via blood to the brain and various other organs.

Aspergillosis, the disease caused by some Aspergillus molds, can be treated with modern anti-fungals, but diseases caused by other species, like Aspergillus felis, are not always treatable.

The study, published in the journal PLOS ONE, looked at a variety of cats in Australia and the U.K., including purebreds and domestic crossbreeds. They appeared generally healthy, but suffered from long-time sniffles and sneezes. Upon further examination, researchers found they suffered from rhinosinusitis caused by Aspergillus felis. This would push the eyeball outwards due to a fungal ball growing behind the eye.

The same study included a dog in Australia and a man in Portugal. The mold caused pain, fever and abnormal heart sounds in the dog. For the man, it grew inside the lining of his lung. Both subjects later died from the fungus.

WHAT ARE THE 13 MOST FREQUENT DOG DISEASES?:

ddokken69

That fungus sure does resemble my ex-wife and just as deadly to mankind or anything she comes across for that matter!!

June 28 2013 at 2:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vbeattytoo

Here is the orignial article. http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0064871

June 27 2013 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kjperes

Robert and Shanon, AOL/Huff Post does not write original articles. They rewrite and wrap up articles from all over the web and post them here so you have one place to come to see everything. I know it is irritating...but it's the way it is.
It says the study was from a journal called PLOS ONE, so Google that to read more. It also said the study looked at cats in the U.K. and Australia.
:-)

June 27 2013 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kjperes's comment
dorislt

I appreciate having a place to find information, even incomplete information like AOL/Huff Post. It gives me a starting point to find more information about something I wouldn't ever find out about any other way.

June 27 2013 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shanonbrown@catpeoplerule.com

Can anyone tell me how to change my profile name? My email address shouldn't be my name, but it was put there before I knew it. I'm getting weird emails and I suspect this is a very possible reason why. Thanks.

June 27 2013 at 5:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ROBERT

gee thats good news to know , now -- how about telling us where this fungus is generally at and under what conditions make it grow . about how much time is spent befor recovery , what are more symptoms to watch for . you know REAL information and the rest of the story please you idiots ! who wrote this story , a freakin teenager !?

June 27 2013 at 4:06 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ROBERT's comment
shanonbrown@catpeoplerule.com

Excellent points, Robert. I was wondering most of these things also. Now we must fear a thing we know nothing about, and no matter how many times we read this article, will still know nothing about. (Yeah, I read it a couple times thinking I must have missed some information. I came to the comments and here was your post.)

June 27 2013 at 5:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to shanonbrown@catpeoplerule.com's comment
dorislt

Go to the bottom of this page and click on "feedback". You'll get suggestions anyway after you're forwarded to another site (at least I was).

June 27 2013 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down