Blind Girl Saves Friend From Rabid Raccoon

the daily dish More on PawNation: Awesome, Heart-Warming, Rabies, Raccoons, Safety
A blind 10-year-old saved her friend from a rabid raccoon's attack in Kirby, Vt., according to WCAX-TV.

Piper Rolfe was playing outside in the woods with her friend Irie Campbell, 11, and Irie's brother Felix, 5, on Sunday when Piper heard Irie start to scream. Piper, who is blind, couldn't see that a rabid, hissing raccoon had charged Irie and was biting her face.

"I put my hands up to my face like this. And then it grabs onto my thumb," Irie told WCAX.

Piper asked Irie what was happening, and when Irie told her a raccoon was attacking her, brave Piper took a big stick and beat the aggressive animal off of her friend.

"I already had the stick. I don't really know what I was thinking. I just thought to try to get it off Irie," Piper said.

The raccoon finally ran off, but not before biting Irie six times, including on her thumb, hand and thigh. "I think that if she didn't help me out, then it would have eaten me more," Irie said.

Irie was taken to the hospital and treated for rabies exposure. Although the raccoon that bit her has not been found, doctors played it safe and assumed the animal was rabid.

Derek Campbell is just glad his daughter's friend was there to help save the day. "Piper is a little hero," Campbell said. "She is a cool kid. I mean, Piper is a tough kid."

"She really helped out a lot," Irie said. "She's a good friend."

MONTAUK MONSTER OR WASHED-UP RACCOON? PLUS SEE MORE "MUTANTS!"

WT

PETA will not be happy to hear about this animal cruelty. Poor Raccoon. One of those naked large breasted blonde PETA ladies should go find this animal and give it a hug.

Raccoons are probably the biggest carriers of rabies in this country. I suspect this one is rabid since a healthy Raccoon usually just gets away from humans unless they're cornered or protecting their young.

June 27 2013 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdennish

Rabid to possible rabid ???

June 27 2013 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rsnowdrago

i think you did the right thing you have to the right thing to git that raccoon off your friend hand your hero in my book

June 27 2013 at 3:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
metusmetu

Don't let this story get you all worked up against raccoons! Although some are out there, there are other animals that get rabies also, such as skunks, bats, etc.. However, you should always err on the side of caution! Wild animals are usually afraid of humans, and if one comes around that shows "no fear" of you THEN SOMETHING IS WRONG (excepting bears), and you need to get away from it quickly. Also stay away from dead animal carcass's, they could be infected with the disease also. Be smart, and be alert when in the woods, keep your eyes, and ears alert for anything out of the ordinary.

June 27 2013 at 2:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
RiverBoatQueen

Racoons are vicious wild animals that will attack humans if they feel their space is somehow being invaded. Good for the girl who beat that animal off of her friend!!! I hope that they don't play in the woods any longer - or at least have an adult supervising their activities out there. This time it was a wild animal - next time it could be a pedofile.

June 27 2013 at 1:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sgard206

Wait a sec--bad reporting. The 2nd sentence describes the animal as a "rabid, hissing raccoon", but later on it states the animal has not been found and the doctors "assume" it was rabid. Pawnation could do better service by reporting FACTS, then alerting people to the potential dangers.

June 27 2013 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply