Enormous Dog Is a Mystery for Calif. Animal Shelter

the daily dish More on PawNation: Adoption, Awesome, Dogs
A canine of unusual size has taken up residence at a Sacramento, Calif., animal shelter, impressing and baffling the facility's employees, according to KTXL-TV.

"Somebody is missing a ginormous dog," said Gina Knepp, manager at the Front Street Animal Shelter, of the 120-pound pooch.

The dog's breed remains a mystery, although the shelter's best guess is that he is a Husky mix. "The jury is out," Knepp said. "Could he be part wolf? Maybe. He could be a lot of combinations of things. We won't know for sure unless we do a DNA test, which we are not going to do here."

Almost everything else about the imposing dog is also unknown. He has no tags, no microchip, no tattoos or other identifying marks, and he is not neutered.

Although the big guy is lovable, adopting him out may prove challenging. "It's a lot easier to adopt out a small, cute puppy than it is a big dog," Knepp said. "A big dog takes more work, the right kind of household and space."

Meanwhile, the dog is using the largest pen the Front Street Shelter has, and eats four times as much food as the other dogs.

The dog has gained fans on the Internet. The shelter's Facebook post featuring a photo of the dog with the officer who found him has earned 781 likes and 816 shares at the time of this writing. We hope that will gain the attention of the dog's owner, or failing that, will help him find a new home when the time comes.

SEE MORE HUSKIES:

marcovici

He looks like my Belgian Malinois. Same size, weight, and markings.

April 11 2014 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marcovici

He looks like my Belgian Malinois.

April 11 2014 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheena

first of all this is not a dog, it is in fact a wolf, not a malimute not a husky not a german shepherd, it is a grey wolf

March 18 2014 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VetAnimalLover19

I can tell you now, I am in the veterinary field, knowing my breeds. I've seen plenty of wolf hybrid's before. To me that can most definitely fall into the category of a wolf hybrid. Look at the ears, eyes, snout, and feet. Feet are twice as large as any malamute's or shepherd. Eye's are yellowish in appearance, snout is more pointed than your average dog. These characteristic's point towards wolf. Most likely a Timber wolf mixed with either a husky or shepherd of sorts. Beautiful animal. I'd take him for sure if I had the room.

March 16 2014 at 5:33 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to VetAnimalLover19's comment
VetAnimalLover19

The face and coloring is also very Timber Wolf like...

March 16 2014 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BirdieAZ

OMG I saw the pic then the video and I was at my computer yelling dummies that's a wolf! I'm not a vet but been around plenty hybrids. My step-son's now wife rescued a wolf hybrid when he was a puppy that now can stand with his nose just above mine and weighs somewhere near the 120 range. Sweetest "dog" I've ever known. He (Koga) even knows he's big and is soooo careful with their smaller dogs and kids. He's 2 different wolf breeds w/ what seems a Malamute, Timber Wolf i know not sure the other. Glad u replied. Have a great week.

March 17 2014 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adragonwolf

Hey everyone found an update for you http://video.fox40.com/?ndn.trackingGroup=91055&ndn.siteSection=ktxl_localnews&ndn.videoId=24866050&freewheel=91055&sitesection=ktxl_localnews&vid=24866050

March 16 2014 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to adragonwolf's comment
Jenn

The link isn't current anymore. Can you summarize what it said? I haven't been able to locate it. Much appreciated - cheers!

March 18 2014 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rubyreddpa10

Could we please have an update on this dog?

March 16 2014 at 2:47 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rubyreddpa10's comment
adragonwolf

March 16 2014 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lwainscot

Looks like a Shiloh Shepherd to me, I've had two, well over 100 pounds, and they are great dogs. Here's a website with pictures of the breed. They are a rare giant breed, and are very expensive. Hope this story connects the dog with it's owner!

March 16 2014 at 10:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
davidmmarchetti

Last " Dog " I saw that size was actually a timber wolf someone had in a hotel... looks like a mix of wolf and husky...

March 16 2014 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark W. Lovelace

I have seen/heard of a mix like this and what happened in the other case, was a husky was bred with a wolf....hence the much larger dog!

March 16 2014 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sstanroberts

Nice looking greywolf shepherd.Wouldn't mind having him either,but I am way too far from California.

March 09 2014 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply