Dog Fighting's Horrific New Trend Is Called "Trunking"

the daily dish More on PawNation: Abuse, Dogs, Miami, Sad, Safety
A new dog-fighting trend is so savage and inhumane it's almost hard to comprehend. It's called "trunking." Dahlia Canes of Miami Coalition Against Breed Specific Legislation explains it:

"They put the dogs in the trunk [of a car], lock it up, and they [drive] around, put the music on very, very loud so no one can hear it," she said, according toClickOnDetroit.com. "After 10 or 15 minutes, they stop. The dead dog they throw out, and the winner keeps going."

RELATED: Beagle Puppy Dog Faces Euthanasia

You read that right: They put two dogs in the trunk of a car, blast the music, drive around as the dogs fight, and then when the shrieking and yelping finally stops, they pull over and throw out the dead dog.

The winner gets to fight again.

It almost sounds like an urban myth, but it's very true: Workers at Miami-Dade Animal Services Department in Florida confirm it, saying they've seen many cases.

RELATED: Obie the Dachshund Surgery Lost 40 pounds

One came last week, when a good samaritan tipped the agency off to a man suspected of being involved in trunking. The tipster said that he'd seen the man repeatedly throw dogs into the trunks of cars to fight. Authorities responded and found five adults and four puppies in terrible condition at the man's home.

"The kennels did not have any water, food, or adequate shelter," said Luis Salgado with Miami-Dade County Animal Services. "They were in feces and urine, so the conditions were pretty bad."

They were also covered in scars, open wounds, and teeth marks.

"There are puncture wounds," said Salgado. "One of the dogs had a broken wrist, an injured eye. One of the dogs is just bit up all over the place and [has] open wounds on his face."

RELATED: Witness Violet the Pomeranian's Major Transformation

Authorities haven't found the owner, but he'll face felony charges when they do. As for the dogs, the department is trying to get custody so the animals can be adopted or sent to a rescue group.

The dogs are doing well mentally, and they are very friendly with veterinarians and staff. One dog happily wagged his tail when two staff members held him tightly, even though a vet was scrubbing his wounds.

Surprsingly, only one of the dogs has been identified as a Pit Bull. Miami-Dade banned Pit Bulls 23 years ago, and the ban was upheld by voters last year. That dog will have to be adopted by someone outside of the state. Let's hope they all find good homes.

Via ClickOnDetroit.com

SHOULD MICHAEL VICK OWN DOGS AGAIN?:

Kimberly Waltrip

This is absolutely disgusting. How about we put them in the trunk of a car with loud music and see who comes out. It really angers me that there are people out there who could look into the eyes of any animal and still abuse him/her. I think there should be much stiffer laws on animal abuse.....as in long term jail sentences.

March 23 2014 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aristocat101

To torture any animal like that and let them die so horribly its inhumane, what the hell is wrong with people

March 22 2014 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christened80

to texmexfm hell yeah??? you call what Vick did a "mistake"? theres a pretty big damned difference between drowning,electrocuting,hanging, and beating dogs who were useless to fight anymore, and a mistake {like when you were conceived}.

March 16 2014 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
texmexfm

on the trunking thing, If I keep up my work of giving people with loud music a hard time, maybe in the process I'll end up saving a dog. I"m very very proud of my efforts to stop these boom boxes, the law doesn't do anything to protect us. I have follow a vehilce as much as 18miles, one that I had previously warned, and me and My Whammo sling shot made him wish he had taken my advice, my warning, and shown me and my neighborhood some respect. On the should Michael Vick own a dog, HELL YEA, don't tell me you judgemental bstrds haven't done things in your life that later on you look back and wonder how you could have done such a thing, made such a mistake. IF people don't change then shut Tony Robbins down, put all counselors out of business, give up any hope that is hope for people. Again, you judgemental unforgiving bstrds just want to have someone to look down on because of the skeletons i your closet. I went around shooting lizards with BB gun when I was a kid, I don't even remember what point in time I changed but I did and I regret it terribly but I was a stupid kid. Stupid kids come in all ages and then suddenly they mature and become responsible adults, hopefully. Whether through Tony Robbins, a near drowning experience, or just a light that comes on and tells them how wrong they've been. BUT THEN, judgemental bstrds don't want to believe this because they YOU would not have someone to beat and bash and use to elevate your evil selves.

March 16 2014 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to texmexfm's comment
christened80

Hell yeah??? you call what Vick did a "mistake"? theres a pretty big damned difference between drowning,electrocuting,hanging, and beating dogs who were useless to fight anymore, and a mistake {like when you were conceived}.
I also like your comment how you chase people 18 miles on the highway with a slingshot. yeah that's a mature responsible adult.

March 16 2014 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dhankiewicz

Like every poster here, I too wish these jerks could just be "taken care of" right away without any consideration for their rights. But even if some of them are found and arrested they will be given full protection under the law; that's just the way the judicial system works in the U.S. And rightly so to protect the innocent. But what angers me is that even if some of them are arrested and found guilty their punishments will seem like a walk in the park compared to what those poor dogs had to endure.

March 16 2014 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dhankiewicz

Like everyone else who has posted here, I too would like "a shot" at these jerks. And I wouldn't be at all sorry if they were to reach a horrible end. But you know, even if they are caught by the authorities, they will be given full protection under the law and will be deemed innocent until proven guilty. That's just they way the legal system works in the U.S., and must be so to protect the innocent. But what angers me is that even if found guilty, their punishment would seem like a walk in the park compared to what those poor dogs had to endure.

March 16 2014 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wolfen06

I can assure you, all these people involved in such a sick act, will die a horrible death at Gods hand, brutally. And you will deserve it.

February 26 2014 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dmasz91

I just don't even understand why the dogs fight in the first place. if the dogs could somehow know better than to fight, the owners wouldn't get any entertainment from it.

February 25 2014 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

Take animal abusers out to where the wild boars roam, tie him to tree, come back in3 days, if he is there ok.. Dont forget to pour feed all around the feet.

February 25 2014 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply