Dog Nearly Dies From Eating Poisonous Palm Plant

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dogs, Health, Puppies, Safety
A 14-month-old dog in San Diego, Calif., almost died after eating a sago palm plant, according to KGTV News.

Lily, a Jack Russell Terrier/Beagle mix, grew curious and ate part of a sago palm plant. When Lily's owner, Mitchell Woolsey, noticed her becoming lethargic, he immediately brought Lily to the emergency vet.

Lily's life was saved after a three-day stay at the emergency clinic, but vets say that if her owners had waited any longer to bring her in, her liver would have failed due to the poisonous plant.

"They basically told us this is deadly," said Woolsey.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals lists the sago palm as toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Signs of ingestion include vomiting, melena, icterus, increased thirst, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, bruising, coagulopathy, liver damage, liver failure and death.

Sago palms are extremely common throughout San Diego. Dr. Trevor Garb of the Pet Emergency and Specialty Center told KGTV that his facility treats multiple dogs for sago palm poisoning every week. The root of the problem, he said, is that it simply isn't widely known that the plants are toxic.

"It's one of those things where the toxicity isn't well advertised, so a lot of people don't know about it," said Dr. Garb.

Woolsey is removing all the sago palm plants from his yard. "It almost killed our puppy," he said. "I don't want to take that chance again."


Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum


Filter by:

"What are you look'n at "!!!

May 04 2013 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

wow what a beautiful plant! Do not destroy these!! Why is your pet going for it in the first place. what crappy diet are you feeding it that it in inclined to do so???!!! Maybe you should chop some cooked broccoli and add it to your dogs food oh thats too radical for your crappy commercial brand puppy dog food that you serve your precious pets..dont blame the tree blame yourself!

May 04 2013 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

my lab, when she was young, chewed up my three sago palms and ate a lot of them - and she never got even a little sick.

May 04 2013 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

lost a dog to this plant

May 04 2013 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Looks like fake plants and flowers may be the way to go. I have 14 dogs,2 cats and a bunch of sago palms. So soon as I can get the boys together they will be history~!!!!! I want a sago free yard. I have some worth every bit of $500.00!!! Not worth a flip to me now.I had no idea of the danger. Thank God, I have not lost a pet. It sure angers me my suppose to be friends at the nursery never told me. I am going to make sure they know today that I know~~!!!!!

May 04 2013 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Sago "palms" are morte closely related to conifers and gingkos than they are to true palms.
They are cycads, a very ancient order of (seed) plants, dating from before the age of the

May 04 2013 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

By the way, Sego palms are not really palms, they are Cycads; they are not even closely related to real palms. So, don't think palm trees are poisonous to pets and people.

May 04 2013 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

It seems there are more plants than I knew of that are poisonous to our pets.

May 03 2013 at 9:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

another toxic plant is poinsettias

May 03 2013 at 9:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to pollyoftheyear's comment

Not really all that toxic. They're simply irritants.

May 03 2013 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Another plant that is highly toxic is the Oleander bush. The flower are either light pink to hot pink and sometimes they come in white. I don't know if there are any other colors, however, the plant is highly toxic not only to pets but also to humans. DO NOT SMELL THE FLOWER and if you decide to remove the plant from your garden and burn it, make sure you wear protective covering over your nose as the smell from the burning is extremely dangerous. The plant is grown wild down here in Florida. It's pretty but very dangerous!

May 03 2013 at 8:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Around The Web

Who is Cutest?