Sick Cat Who Ate Nothing but Cheeseburgers for a Year Is Rescued

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Nutrition, Weird
Being a real-life "I Can Has Cheezburger" cat isn't as glamorous as it may seem. One particular kitty from New Zealand became sick after consuming nothing but burgers for more than a year, according to Gawker.

Frankie the cat became something of a pet for patrons at a McDonald's in Frankton, New Zealand, after he was abandoned as a kitten. An animal-welfare worker found Frankie and estimated that he had been surviving on food purchased by customers and fed to him for the last 12 to 18 months.

According to Waikato SPCA field officer Jessica Watson, people would order Frankie an extra patty, and he would "trot after the car, wait until you stopped the car and then you would toss him the meat." Watson said, "It was his little routine."

Frankie's face had become swollen, his coat was falling apart and he also had trouble closing his eyes. He also refused to eat anything but the fast food that was contributing to his ill health.

Watson slowly introduced cat biscuits to Frankie. Finally, he began to welcome the new food and his health began to improve.

Frankie not only feels better now, but he looks healthier, too. The Waikato SPCA has put Frankie up for adoption.

TEST YOUR KITTY I.Q. TAKE THE QUIZ NOW!

Mike Jones

My cats must be wierd. They don't eat mice. But they do kill them. No mice can be found except dead ones on this half acre fenced in property.These cats do like birds though.The will eat that chicken right now. These cats weigh less than 12 lbs probably not quite over a year old to 12 weeks on the small guy. They don't like raw fish much. But they eat it if I cook it a little. I think they may have a mental problem. Now a large wild cat will eat meat obviously. And they need a lot of it. And they are fast on the way to extinction. That my friends is truly sad. Now if it is between me and the large cat as to who is going to eat whom , I am going to have to kill it. Sad as it may be. And if it is looking to eat my cats I am going to have to kill it. That is if it is on my property.If my cats waunder then they are on their own. They have plenty of room and a six foot fence but anytime they want they can climb out. I have seen a house cat climb a 10 foot concrete block wall and get on top. Can't keep a cat tied in unless you lock it up. I won't do that. So far they have plenty of room to hunt stray chicken and don't need to waunder .Mine are fixed except for the little one. They don't get the urge so they are happy enough to stay in the yard so far. One of the females has been on the other side one time and came back in. They get fed here and usually that is enough to keep them around. I've never had a cat move out and I have owned a lot of them.They definitely have different personalities and different eating habits as to how much and when. They are still growing so I don't see their exact size yet. They are bigger than their parents though so i figure they eat right . I feed them wet food usually fish in sauce stuff.mostly watered and dry chicken and fish flavored bag stuff.Purina or other stuff as soft as I can find. they ain't complaining and they are all healthy coat and all. They have company and after awhile of getting used to each other they are trip to watch when they are awake which is usually from midnight tell dawn.Mostly sleep during the day unless the birds are getting brave.

April 23 2013 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elementuup115

yeah.. so they take the kitty off of cheeseburgers and feed it Purina or any one of the other average cat foods.. which has RENDERED MEAT... If you don't know what rendered meat is--- GOOGLE IT.. IT IS GROSS. That is why i feed my pets HALO.. I don't think that poor cat will have much better diet unless it gets proper food like Halo or one of the more premium cat foods.. Let me give you a hint at what rendered meat is... It's a Soylent Green for our pets...

April 17 2013 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trebecca537

Veterinary technician here. Yes. Cats are obligate carnivores, this much is true. HOWEVER, a steady diet of cheeseburgers is not healthy for pets or people. Cheeseburgers are not a complete and balanced meal. The intentions were good, don't get me wrong. What would be optimal is for people to realize that pets are living beings. They aren't an impulse buy that can just be tossed out when the novelty wears off or when the expense of a pet sets in. There are many wonderful rescue organizations and humane societies around the world. I only ask that people but their pride or whatever it is aside and do the right thing and surrender a pet to one of the organizations, not to the elements.

April 17 2013 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bathsheba45

Where is the story in this? Lucky cat lives in the first world where a surplus kept him alive. Where are the puffy pictures of the sick cat? Can't care less...

April 17 2013 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sutt202

My mom was born in the early 1900\'s and I remember telling her she shouldn\'t feed her cat table scraps. Her response was \"what the hell do you think we fed them before we had canned cat food\". \"Table scraps\". And all her cats lived a healthy long, long time. One even made it to 18 years.

April 17 2013 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sutt202's comment
robertmwright

I'm sure your mom's table scraps were far healthier and nutritious than McD's burgers! (apologies to the poster below - my bad)

April 17 2013 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hellyon3too

This story is so phony. Yeah, the cat was probably sick from something. It wasn't from eating ground beef and cheese. Good Lord, it's a stray. It lives outside. It's eating what cats eat; meat. They eat mice and rats, birds, bugs, road kill. He was outside where he could indulge his urge to nibble on greens when it hit. A cat's natural diet is NOT prepared cat food. Cats are obligate carnivores. They eat meat.

April 17 2013 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hellyon3too's comment
robertmwright

April 17 2013 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nancypueyo

this cat Is so cute,,,,,,,,,,,, the owners should be ashamed of themselves,, you do not feed a cat cheeseburgers only catfood,, you do not give a cat milk only water as well as with dogs
you do not give dogs chocolate either,,,, only water and dogfood,, no table scrappings

April 17 2013 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nancypueyo's comment
hellyon3too

Yeah. Cat food is the natural diet of cats.

Get a grip. This cat didn't belong to anyone, it hung out at a fast food restaurant. It lived outside. It was eating the things cats eat, not just hamburger/cheeseburgers. Things like mice, rats, birds, bugs.

There is nothing wrong with feeding dogs and cats table food, so long as it's food and not garbage. In fact, it's better for them. Many pet foods are made out of garbage a lot worse than cheeseburgers.

April 17 2013 at 8:15 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hellyon3too's comment
brandyspeonk

You are so wrong. There are so many foods that are unhealthy to cats. Yes, they eat rodents etc. But not a steady diet of any one thing. I sure hope you don't own any pets.

April 17 2013 at 8:26 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down
gp341

Someone should send this article to Rosie O'Donnell.

April 17 2013 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gp341's comment
brandyspeonk

why did you have to take something so serious and make a joke on someone elses expense. Plus also make it an insult? Being overweight is not fun. It's hard to fix. So grow up and stop with the insults. Are you that perfect?

April 17 2013 at 8:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cvdann

Tresteb342:
I agree. VERY misleading article. I expected to find a story about some cat collector forcefeeding the diet to the cat or something. People were only trying to help. Why not just say "HOMELESS cat surviving on just fast food rescued", or something to that effect? I guess the more drama they hint at the more clicks. Granted, this is a positive story and educational, but still I think they could have worded it better.

April 17 2013 at 4:46 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cvdann's comment
Kimberly

because if it said that, you wouldn't bother reading the article.

April 17 2013 at 6:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tresteb342

why did the articel linking this say his diet was cruel? sounds to me like people helped feed a starving kitten and were not intending to be mean. The cat seemed to be taken care of. not the best diet for sure but seen no cruelty involved

April 17 2013 at 4:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply