Cat's Back Shaved, 'Please Neuter This Cat' Written on Its Skin

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Sad
A woman in the U.K. was dismayed and angry when she found her pet cat had a large patch of fur on its back shaved off and the words "Please neuter this cat" written on its skin, according to the local newspaper, Bedfordshire on Sunday. ITV News Anglia also reported the alarming cat attack story.

Sharon Munns, 42, of Bedford, Bedfordshire, says that whoever was upset about an un-neutered cat in the neighborhood didn't even have the right culprit. Her cat, 11-year-old Becks, was neutered years ago.

"It must be either somebody new to the area who isn't aware of that or they've got him mixed up with another cat," Munns said.

Not that any circumstances would excuse the cruelty and cowardice of the act. "
I wanted to go out and knock on everybody's door to find out who had done it," Munns said. "I couldn't believe it and don't know who could have done such a thing."

Munns immediately contacted the police and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The RSPCA has condemned what was done to Becks.

"This must have been a very frightening experience for the cat and we understand the owners' distress at this senseless attack on their pet," an RSPCA spokesperson said.

Meanwhile, Bedford police are investigating the incident, as it may constitute a criminal act.

DOGS GETS FULLY SHAVED AND 50 MOST POPULAR ANIMAL STORIES OF 2012:

carly

why isnt the idiot owner condemmed by the aspca for letting her cat wander the neighborhood? I applaud the cat shaver for getting this irresponsible idiots attention!

July 31 2013 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bilhee

Well they methods are a little extreme but the person who wrote the message is exactly right, ESPECIALLY if the cat is an outside cat

July 13 2013 at 7:44 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bilhee's comment
poole.denese

If you'd read the story, you'd have seen that this cat had already been neutered. Apparently this was a case of mistaken identity. No one has right to do this to anyone's pet, regardless of the circumstances.

July 30 2013 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lilspicey

I had my cat for 23 years. She was never allowed outside, except in a fenced in area that we made for her as a playground. It was covered with fencing as well so she couldn't climb out. We made this playground because we know cats love the outdoors, they are hunters, but we didn't want her hunting or causing trouble with neighbors. I had gotten the idea of the playground from my Grandfather, who built one for his cats. We had a large tree limb in it, a shaded area and plenty of water. She would call to us when she wanted back in. The vet said she was a very happy cat to have lived so long. I would have been heart broken if I let her run free and something happened to her. Out of love, we built her playground.

July 12 2013 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cowboy

The action taken against the animal is not the animals fault, but the owners fault. Cats were running my complex destroying paint jobs on new vehicles, knocking over garbage cans for food, and urinating all over the place. It smelled like hell everywhere. I called local animal control to see what I could do and they said I could trap them and call them and they would come that day to remove them. 157 cats later the cat owners got the message as it cost them $90 dollars to get them out of kitty jail. Come to find most were being euthanized because the owner did not care enough about the animal. So I got a dog, no more cats or thieves. If you let your animals roam, expect the worst. It's also illegal.

April 10 2013 at 12:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cowboy's comment
Diane

So dogs don't pee and poop on other people's property my neighbors dog does it all the time not just cats!! And dogs go after birds too as well as rabbits so I don't really get what your implying ? That this behavior of a board individual is ok?

April 10 2013 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Diane's comment
dickn2000b

If someone did that to my cat and I found out who did it, they would be dead. PERIOD!

April 10 2013 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to dickn2000b's comment
cowboy

If you let your cat roam? YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

April 10 2013 at 12:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cowboy

If you would kill a human being over a cat you need some help fool. I hope you don't own a gun you liberal zipperhead.

April 10 2013 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maskedblogger

Send the jackass to Texas, they'd be behind bars for that stunt.

April 10 2013 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dumby

Cruel....not really. Stupid sure. The thing is her part in this. Is she a responsible owner? I have a pack of cats around here whos owners seem to think that feeding the cat is enough. I have had many negative encounters with these cats, One Scratched the H$ll out of the black paint on my Harley another one P1ssed in my wifes car when she left hatch open offloading groceries. No I have not done those cats any harm but I can understand someones frustration dealing with a cat that is destructive.

April 10 2013 at 11:50 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to dumby's comment
Karen

Exactly!

April 10 2013 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeng1031

it is cruel!! you don't know what happened before they did this to the cat, how they caught it held it down and the stress and terror it was under how scared it was when this was done to the poor thing. shaving it and writing on it with a marker is one thing but you have no idea what took place for that to happen and what the poor cat felt or how it was treated!!! let a stranger get a hold of you hold you down shave you and write on you and see how you feel when you don't what is going on think how scared you would be. I agree that the owner needs to take responsibility for their pet, it should have been taking up with the owner and not harmed the cat its not cats fault. shave the owner and write on them instead of the poor animal!!

April 10 2013 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tamara

if you live in a town where crazyies that will harm anything live you should keep your cat in your yard .karen i don't care if the cat's fur was shaved instead of ripped from his skin.or if the words were written in marker instead of burned on the cat it's still cruel and by the looks of it i think that some kid that was bored and had nougthing to do did it out of boredom. when i let my cat out i check on him every few seconds and make sure that he does not wonder off.i find this a very cruel and ignorant thing to do to an animal.

April 10 2013 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tamara's comment
Karen

Please explain how it's cruel. It isn't just the crazies harming cats, it's the damage the cats do to other people's property. Would it be cool to let dogs roam all over the neighborhoods, free to come and go as they pleased?

April 10 2013 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

And furthermore, how is this "cruel"? Cruel implies the cat was harmed in some way, caused pain or undue suffering. They didn't rip the hair from his back with pliers, it was shaved with clippers. The words weren't tattooed on or burned in with acid, it was just a marker. This hardly qualifies as "cruel" or "attack". The owner just wants divert the attention away from her irresponsibility with her over dramatic reaction. I guess she would be blaming the driver if it was hit by a car? Blaming a homeowner if it got into someone's outside trash and got severely ill? Where is the personal responsibility for not taking proper care of her pet?

April 10 2013 at 10:21 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Why is she allowing her cat to run around the neighborhood? What an irresponsible owner! Keep your cat in the house where it belongs, instead of letting it run around crapping in other people's laws, killing small prey, etc., and you won't have to worry about someone doing something to it, it getting hit by a car, or killed by a dog. What an idiot! Blame YOURSELF for what happened!

April 10 2013 at 10:03 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply