Cat Found Alive in Wreckage Following Plane Crash

the daily dish More on PawNation: Awesome, Cats, Heart-Warming, Safety, Talented, Weird
A tough cat survived after a plane crashed into its house, thanks to a bit of luck and the vigilance of a wrecking-crew member who spotted the animal, according to the Daily Mail U.K.

The plane crashed into a residential neighborhood in South Bend, Ind., last week, destroying three houses, including that of Patricia Kobalski. Kobalski and her 6-year-old son were uninjured, but spent the week looking for their cat, Zuul, who seemingly disappeared following the accident.

By Saturday, a wrecking crew had come to demolish what was left of the houses, which were too damaged for repair. One of the crew, Harvey Jackson, was demolishing Kobalski's house when Zuul jumped out. Apparently, the cat had become stuck between two walls.

"It jumped out and jumped down the corner and I didn't want the wrecking ball to hit it, so I just stopped immediately to try to get down there and try to get it," Jackson told WSBT-TV.

Zuul was rushed to a veterinarian. The brave cat did not escape unscathed, however, and suffered an air pocket in its lungs, a broken leg, and claws that had been ground down from frantically trying to escape. But despite the injuries, veterinarians are optimistic that Zuul will recover and be just fine.

SNAKE RIDES ON PLANE WING + 50 MOST POPULAR ANIMAL NEWS STORIES:

P Kobalski

A BIG THANK YOU to Mr Jackson....and my former neighbor Denise for saving our beloved Zuul....and to all of you who had kind words and wished us well....to the rest of you...SHAME ON YOU. I am saddened that PEOPLE lost their lives...but grateful that me and my SON made it OUT ALIVE.....and Zuul too.

December 30 2013 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
upstatejames

I feel bad that the cat got out of the crash in time from Mr. Jackson. Thank you Mr. Jackson.

April 26 2013 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
upstatejames

I fell bad for the cat. Thank goodness mr. Jackson found the cat

April 26 2013 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beautiful

I would love to hear an update on Zuul....

April 17 2013 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Beautiful's comment
P Kobalski

doing as well as expected....skiddish still, but as mischievious as a cat of a year and a half old can be. thank you

December 30 2013 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina&

God bless Mr. Jackson who had the compassion to stop the wrecking ball and get the animal out. THAT\'S the real story - about a human being with the ability to destroy that which is considered \"beneath\" us and CHOSE NOT TO! St. Francis of Assisi was watching over them ALL! :)

March 26 2013 at 11:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
morava9

why not interested if any of people died on this plaine?

March 26 2013 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LONEWOLF

Zuul has been released from vet and he is now reunited with his family everyone is happy and healthy. God bless!

March 26 2013 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LONEWOLF

Zuul has been released from vet and has been reunited with his family..everyone is happy

March 26 2013 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ruth

happy for the cat. A good thing the person saw the cat.

March 26 2013 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saffron Powers

I'm glad the cat is alive but miraculous is not the term I would use. Lucky, maybe. I expected to find out a child had survived, or another member of the house hold. A human.

March 26 2013 at 8:58 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Saffron Powers's comment
P Kobalski

My son and I did survive but could not locate Zuul for DAYS,,,,,,so yes, to us it IS miraculous.

December 30 2013 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply