Cat Turns 27, Was the Runt of His Litter

the daily dish More on PawNation: Awesome, Cats, Heart-Warming, Oldest Cat, Senior Pets, Weird
When Ann Mundy of Bedforshire, England, adopted her cat Wadsworth as a kitten, he was the runt of his litter and suffered from several health problems. Mundy was able to get the kitten healthy with the help of veterinarians, but she probably didn't expect him to live an extra-long life after his tough start. Surprise: Waddy is now 27 years old, according to BBC News.

"He was very poorly and sick when we got him," Mundy said of her cat. "He was back and forth to the vets in the first few weeks. He was full of infection but with the help of the vets we nursed him back to health." The vets who treated Waddy in his first months still treat him today, and verified his remarkable age.

Mundy says that Waddy is like a typical old man. He's more of a picky eater than he used to be, and of course he's not as active as he once was. "H
e gets up, goes out, comes in, has his food and then goes back to sleep," Mundy said. He has a few health issues, including hyperthyroidism, but his vet, Gill Monsell, says that overall Waddy is "very stable and doing very well."

Other cats in England whose owners have claimed them to be the oldest in the country were ages 25 and 26. If Waddy's age of 27 is indeed true, he is certainly among the oldest living cats in the U.K., if not the very oldest. The oldest cat on record was Creme Puff, who lived in Texas, and died in 2005 at the age of 38.

CAT WITH THE LOUDEST PURR, AND MORE KITTY RECORD BREAKERS:

Pamela Burg

Keep calm and Waddy on!

May 06 2013 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sdoming469

lovely- my cat is almost 16- blind in 1 eye- Jazzy cat still hanging with us

March 14 2013 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katspathfinder

I had 2 cats that lived to be 18 and 21 years old, had both since they were kittens, I miss my kitty girls.

March 14 2013 at 10:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
katspathfinder

I had my mongoose kitty girl for 2 months short of 21 years , also had Talula for 18 years both of them lived a long good life.

March 14 2013 at 10:11 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
meowreporter

Our guy Mulligan is 17 this April or May (not sure of his exact birthday) . He is my oldest cat ever. I am amazed when I hear of cats living into their 20s. That's wonderful.

March 14 2013 at 10:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
petsglobalsupply

What great story!

March 14 2013 at 10:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lilybug52

Our Lita is 18 yrs old and working on her bucket list. She was always the "good kitty" but is finding it much more rewarding to act out all the things she wished she had done and doing them now; pooping on the floor, closing her mouth and leaving her tongue sticking out, eating off the the table, only drinking water out of the kitchen sink, yawning old cat breath directly into our mouths, etc. There's more, but only so much space.
I also have my 94 1/2 year old mother living with me so it's it's a geriatric funfest every day.

March 14 2013 at 9:28 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lilybug52's comment
Princess Z

"A geriatric funfest"- That's hilarious and made my night.

March 14 2013 at 10:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jenniferjeremy

Lovely kitty. God bless her.

March 14 2013 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pattimillerski

What a wonderful story! Way too Waddy

March 14 2013 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
onad587112

I have had many cats live into their twenties. The oldest was Monty who had a broken back ,but was still able to walk and run, he was 24.

March 14 2013 at 9:06 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to onad587112's comment
tim0730

How did Monty break his back

March 14 2013 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply