Michael Vick Is Attending Dog-Training Classes at PetSmart

the daily dish More on PawNation: Celebs, Dogs, Legal, Michael Vick, Training
According to USA Today, NFL quarterback and convicted dog fighter Michael Vick is now attending training classes with his new dog. The star QB was seen attending the classes with his Belgian Malinois, Angel, at a New Jersey-area PetSmart store.

This news comes some months after the revelation that Vick adopted a dog after having been convicted of and serving time in prison for his involvement in illegal dog fighting. Many people were angered by this, and registered surprise that Vick is even legally allowed to own a dog or dogs after what he did. Vick released a statement at the time that said:

"I understand the strong emotions by some people about our family's decision to care for a pet. As a father, it is important to make sure my children develop a healthy relationship with animals.

"I want to ensure that my children establish a loving bond and treat all of God's creatures with kindness and respect. Our pet is well cared for and loved as a member of our family.

"This is an opportunity to break the cycle. To that end, I will continue to honor my commitment to animal welfare and be an instrument of positive change."

Tell us what you think about this. Does bringing his dog to these training classes show that Vick has turned over a new leaf? Is caring for and training a dog in the right manner a good way for Vick to make up for what he did? Or should he be prevented from owning a dog ever again? Tell us in the comments section.

WESTMINSTER SHOW DOG POISONED?

LScott969

I just cannot believe what I am reading. I am shocked to learn he is allowed to own any animal. I just bought a shirt recently that says "Hide your Beagle, Vick's an Eagle".

April 08 2013 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SHADI WAHBEH

He is a sick man that doesnt deserve to have any kind of animal. I would'nt let him take care of a fly i hope his kids don't grow up like their dad evil.

April 05 2013 at 5:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lvrkwd

I feel he lost the privilege of dog ownership when he brutally killed those in his care. BTW, he DID NOT pay for those crimes, served time only for dog fighting, not the cruelty and murder he did in such horrific manners on those poor dogs. Anyone that could do what he did shows an abnormal indifference and insensitivity to the feelings of a companion animal. It is my hope that he will develop a close bond with this dog and realize the atrocities he performed and feel guilty the rest of his life for it. I do not blame PetSmart for the training and am glad he is training the dog. I love the breed he chose but wonder if he researched the breeds at all because this may not be the best breed for someone as dog stupid as he is.

April 03 2013 at 12:26 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
DMG

They should be a choke chain collar around his neck and treat him the way he did to those dogs he destroyed. No amount of punishment is sufficient for him. I am surprised he was able to have children and be married

March 28 2013 at 2:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to DMG's comment
hmtbumpa

Vick is a dog abuser and should never be able to own any type of pet. Because he can run a football, everything is ok now.

A leopard does not change its spots, it just uses them for cover. He is a murderer

April 05 2013 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DMG

They should put a chain choke collar around his neck and send him for training classes

March 28 2013 at 2:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Where was his kindness and respect for the animals he fought and killed. Apparently, it only comes out now that his kids want a dog. No person in their right mind should even allow him to have a dog or be near one.

March 26 2013 at 3:59 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Hansbury

Total public relations maneuver - and ineffective at that!! This man is DISGUSTING - both on and off the field. What he's done to a very special breed will take DECADES to reverse!!

March 19 2013 at 3:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
heatstroke64

the man did his time for his crime, that is true. But I believe he should not be allowed to ever own a dog again due to the horrific nature of his crimes against dogs. It's not about time served, it's not about forgiveness. It's about a person without a freaking conscious thumbing his nose at animal lovers.

March 18 2013 at 3:14 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to heatstroke64's comment
Lisa Hansbury

BRAVO!!! And he NEVER served a day's time for 'animal cruelty and abuse'.

March 19 2013 at 3:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Chloe Smith

Vick drowned dogs, he electrocuted dogs, he hung dogs, he slammed dogs heads to the ground. Vick should never ever be allowed to own a dog again. And now, the fact that he does, is very disappointing. Petsmart, what are you thinking? It's as if you condone his past behavior. Petsmart? More like Petstupid. Vick makes me sick to my stomach. Everything about him . . . . his face, his name, everything.

March 18 2013 at 2:59 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chloe Smith's comment
Bernie

Couldn't agree with you more….. if anybody needs to be trained… it's Michael Vick!

March 19 2013 at 12:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dmaabac

This is a nasty, sick person. I hope his children grow up and realize what trash he is. He turns my stomach, and I can only hope that one day someone treats him like he treated those dogs. What a garbage pit.

March 14 2013 at 5:09 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply