Secret Service Dog Dies After 6-Story Fall

the daily dish More on PawNation: Belgian Malinois, Dogs, K-9, Sad, Secret Service, Training
A Secret Service dog died in New Orleans, La., Saturday night, after a tragic falling accident, according to USA Today.

The dog, a Belgian Malinois, fell from the six-story Premier Parking garage in the 900 block of Iberville Street near the Ritz-Carlton Hotel at 6 p.m. The Secret Service was running a bomb sweep in anticipation of a visit from Vice President Joe Biden.

WWL-TV in New Orleans reported that federal agents rushed the dog by motorcade to Metairie Small Animal Hospital, but doctors were unable to save the animal.

According to CNN, "The agency began its canine program in 1975 to detect explosives. It uses Belgian Malinois because they are small and have short hair - making it easy for them to work in the heat. They are also very sociable. Each dog and its handler has to complete 20 weeks of training before beginning work, the agency said. When it's time for a dog to retire - usually after about 10 years - it is retired to its handler."

These service dogs form intense bonds with their teams, and especially the handlers with whom they work so closely. Our hearts go out to all the agents who worked with the dog, and who surely are feeling the impact of this tragic loss.

DOG IS A FREQUENT CHURCH-GOER SINCE OWNER DIED:

Bill

My heart goes out to the Dog and its Handler and all the other Service dogs who have lost their lives serving. I wish they were a little more specific on how the Dog fell. For all those who are making smart remarks with their comments about certain political figures this isn't the article to put that kind of stuff in..

January 29 2013 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

What a shame that something like this happened. No matter how you feel about who he was protecting, he was on the job. It is hard in today's world to find a larger source of unconditional love as you get from a pet. My heart goes out for the whole detail.They lost a loved member of their detail. I know it has always torn my heart to loose any of my pets, be it a cat, a dog, or anything else. Rest in peace buddy, you earned it!!!

January 29 2013 at 8:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

What a shame this happened, regardless of how you feel about who he was protecting, My heart goes out to the whole detail. It is hard today to find as large of a source of unconditional love as an animal companion. I know it tears my heart whenever I have lost a pet, be it a cat, dog, or anything else. Rest in peace buddy, and thank you for your service.

January 29 2013 at 7:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mellowmanek12

What a waste of a beautiful animal.All for a piece of garbage named biden

January 29 2013 at 7:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kjsreal

Wrong animal fell off the roof, who would have missed Biden? Hilary?Bomama?

January 29 2013 at 6:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
docdoaz

guess I'm no smarter than the handler - couldn't figure out where the print went from the box. But I won't abuse any animal.

January 29 2013 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
docdoaz

RIP dear friend of man - and the handlers get a bonus? You know they didn't get punished. Best law money and friends can buy!

January 29 2013 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tizzmine

SOMETHING was way wrong with this,,,,,,like being rushed
this does not just happen without a VERY WRONG HANDLING!!!!
a GREAT DOG lost because of worthless politician was expected!!!

January 28 2013 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Neil

I always knew Biden's bite was more dangerous than his bark!

January 28 2013 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Neil

I always knew his bite was worse than his bark!

January 28 2013 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply