Purina Jerky Treats Made in China Recalled Over Antibiotics

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dog Treats, Dogs, Health, Product Recall, Puppies, Recalls, Safety, The Dish
Chicken jerky treats made in China are finally being recalled, but not for the reason you might think. Products of two brands are being pulled from store shelves: Nestle Purina PetCare Co.'s Waggin' Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brand dog treats, and Milo's Kitchen's Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers home-style dog treats.

They're being pulled because they might contain traces of poultry antibiotics that aren't approved in the U.S. On Wednesday, the companies said the chicken jerky products contain "minute amounts of antibiotic residue," according to the AP. The antibiotics are not necessarily bad for dogs. They've been approved for use in China and the European Union by regulators, but not in the U.S.

The antibiotics include sulfaclozine, tilmicosin, trimethoprim, enrofloxacin, and sulfaquinoxaline, according to NBC News.

The New York State Department of Agriculture detected the antibiotics in samples they tested, using a "new, particularly sensitive test." Joe Morrissey, a department spokesman, said the agency is testing jerky treats because of "growing consumer concerns."

RELATED: 4 Treats That I Find Disgusting - But That My Dogs Love

A spokesman for St. Louis-based Nestle Purina, Keith Schopp, was clear that this recall is a separate issue from the ongoing jerky treat mystery, in which Chinese-made jerky pet treats are suspected of sickening thousands of animals since 2007 and killing hundreds of them.

RELATED: Dog Saves Owner From Their Burning House in Baltimore

"There is no indication that the trace amounts of antibiotic residue is related to FDA's ongoing investigation," Schopp told NBC News. "Due to regulatory inconsistencies among countries, the presence of antibiotic residue is technically considered an adulteration in the United States."

Even the FDA states that the antibiotics "do not raise health concerns" and that they are "highly unlikely to be related to the reports of illnesses FDA has received related to jerky pet treats."

RELATED: Walgreens Sells Pit Bull Pepper Spray

As for the ongoing investigation of jerky treats from China, the FDA has been unable to find a precise cause for the reported illnesses. But the agency says it's taking the issue seriously and has put up a page on its site warning consumers about them and offering tips for their proper use, such as: "Do not substitute chicken jerky products for a balanced diet. The products are intended to be used occasionally and in small quantities. Owners of small dogs must be especially careful to limit the amount of these products."

A better strategy would be to forgo them.

Consumers with questions about Milo's Kitchen products can get further information at (877) 228-6493. Consumers with questions about Purina's Wagging Train products can call (800) 982-0704 or go to www.waggintrainbrand.com.

10 Pet Threats In Your Home:

autonimous

Since the poisoned Chinese pet food issue a few years ago (which killed my dog), I go out of my way not to buy anything Chinese, especially anything edible (by me or my pets). Why does the government even allow foodstuffs to come into this country from these low lifes?

January 15 2013 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Loretta Reno

never buy any dog treats made in china

January 15 2013 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I think that it is horrible that we even do business with China when they are so careless in making any of their products. Whether it be pet snacks, kids toys, people food or whatever, it has been shown that they do not care about what they sell, just that they sell. We need to stop accepting orders for these products and be more careful in other items they want to sell to us. We need to punish them by returning these items and putting a ban on items coming from China for an extended length of time, thus giving them some financial hardship in not getting money from the USA for crap products. More news should be given out on China sold and made items that are dangerous like toys with lead in them and now chemicals in dog treats, let along others I have heard of in the past.

January 15 2013 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

Yes I too think that our government should punish the Chinese government by not buying items from them ,like food for people and dogs,etc- and thus this will keep us from having problems with their lack of being careful in how they produce their products and their safety measures that seem to be lacking in any safety at all. Send all their products back and demand full payment and cancel any future orders , and hope that this will send the message that we do not do business with people who make dangerous items that people, eat and use and that we give to our pets and children. Even the lead filled toys and such that are being found too.

January 14 2013 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Susan's comment
Tom

The government does not buy these things. They are made for the companies that distribute them using their name. Almost all of the toys sold by HARTZ are made in China. I look on the back of everthing that I get for my dog. If it has made in China then I put it back

January 15 2013 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janet2derek

In Canada many dogs have died and the only connection they could find was the chicken jerky treats. A tv show called marketplace ask people for the bags of treats they still had and sent them to labs all over the world. One european lab found a chemical they could not identify in 3 samples and all were from dogs who had died. They then sent the treats to the USA to be tested because the canadian government would not investigate probably because they suck up to and sell canada to china bit by bit.
BY the way every pet food company get Taurine vitamin c and one other vitamin are only available in china. china does not care about its own animals or people no one should think they care about americans or canadians.

January 14 2013 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lisavanhook

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!!

January 14 2013 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
roborose2005

I'd never buy any food grown or prepared from China for myself, so would not buy it for my dog either. Blue Buffalo and Wellness are the two brands I feel safe giving my dog. I've also done the slow dehydrating of chicken pieces or any leftovers for at home treats -- but they're not too good for carrying in your pocket. For that I buy the puppy size training treats for carrying around and where you don't want them to be too big.

January 14 2013 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to roborose2005's comment
janet2derek

I have an email from blue buffalo informing me the do buy some ingredients from china. One of them is taurine for cat food and another is vitamin c. I had a really sick kitty when I first heard about this story last October and all the companies told me the same thing. Even human vitamin C comes from china.

January 14 2013 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heldt666

My dog eats deer poop and any other animal discards in the yard, seems pretty healthy.
Drags home rotting deer pieces from poachers, likes them too.

January 14 2013 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arcororg

I buy boneless chicken breasts, when they are on sale @ $.99 a pound partically freeze them so I can slice them into thin stirps, about 1/4" thick. Place them on a wire rack and put them in your oven before you go to bed. Set temp at 170 degrees to dehydrate. Takes about 8hrs.

January 14 2013 at 4:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to arcororg's comment
yummyspam

Great idea.

January 14 2013 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dilliedallie01

When are we as a *Nation going to stop this sort of madness , we get so many products that are tainted with harmful Ingredient's for ourselves as well as our fur-babies..Enough already..
time to put these seller's , and the owners of the factories that do this type of thing, however unless charges are brought against them , they just move on to a new place , with a new name..disgusting...

January 14 2013 at 3:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply