If you own a cat, toss the tinsel—she's likely to mistake it for a chew toy, and eating tinsel can cause severe damage to the intestinal tract.
It can get wrapped around the tongue or caught up in the stomach while the rest of it continues to pass through the intestines, which may require expensive abdominal surgery. If you think your pet may have eaten something toxic, call pet poison animal control immediately. Keep these numbers programmed in your phone:
• ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435, $60 fee per incident
• Pet Poison Helpline (800) 213-6680, $35 fee (pay by credit card) per incident
Top Holiday Pet Hazards To Avoid
Around The Web