Owners Turning Deceased Pet Cremains into Precious Jewelry

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Dogs, Lifestyle, Relationship, The Dish, Weird
Natalie Pilon can truly say that her diamond is her best friend. According to the Wall Street Journal, the animal lover had a portion of her deceased cat's ashes turned into diamonds for a ring she wears every day. Pilon understands that turning Meowy's remains into a ring may bother some, but to her it a way to stay connected to a beloved friend.

"It's a little eccentric - not something everyone would do," Ms. Pilon told the Wall Street Journal. "It's a way for me to remember my cat and have her with me all the time."

The grieving owner is not alone. The technology required to turn cremated remains into precious stones was created ten years ago for those who lost a human loved one. Today, it is pet owners who are driving this market, turning their furry friends into a variety of jewels to keep forever.

The stones produced by this process are said to have the same qualities as their mined counterparts. Prices vary from $250–$2,000, based on size and color. LifeGem, one of the companies that crafts these stones, says they have made over 1,000 pieces from pet remains. Most of the request came from cat and dog owners, but LifeGem also saw several birds, horses, bunnies, even one armadillo.

The process requires about a cup of ashes, with additional carbon being added by the company if needed. While there is no way the owner can know for certain their gem is actually part of their beloved pet, many companies provide certification and tracking to calm this worry.

Overall, animal owners who decide to go through this all have the same reasoning. These are people looking for a way to stay connected to their pet, honor that bond, and always remember the special personality their loved one had.

"It is a little bit easier to know that I had taken my sadness and turned it into something beautiful," Pilon shared with the Wall Street Journal. "Meowy was kind of a little diva, so I thought two blue diamonds would be a fitting tribute."

DOG WATCHES OVER OWNER'S GRAVE FOR SIX YEARS:

cbri

This article omitted the other company Pet Gems, LLC. They're the ones that start at $250. Looking at LifeGem the lowest price I see is about $3,000.

The way people grieve is personal to them. The internet is the only place people don't follow the age old advice of 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'

December 06 2012 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
simplespirit1

As an ordained minister who performs pet funerals (yes people do want closure when their best friend and furry family member dies), I can't tell you how many people want their pet's remains to be with them in a more suitable fashion than in an urn. Fortunately the pet funeral home I officiate the funerals at has several types of jewelry options available, including a pendant with your beloved pet's DNA in silver and crystal. This is very comforting! For you nay-sayers, what do you care if someone wants to do this? Why be so mean and say it's crazy? Find some other media outlet to post your negativity please.

December 06 2012 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to simplespirit1's comment
Say NO to libs!

I have no problem with my pet's cremains being in an urn. I buy the most beautiful, handcrafted urns of handcrafted mariposa stone with jade & brass inlays finished with personalized,
engraved brass plaques from a company I found on the internet in CA. This isn't an advertisement, it's a testimonial to my satisfaction with being able to tastefully keep my pets close to me after they pass on. I can't wrap my head around the jewelry thing, but to each their own.

December 11 2012 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

You people are absolutely CRAZY....

December 06 2012 at 8:56 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

I don't really find this disturbing, but it's not something I would do with my pets remains/ashes.

December 06 2012 at 12:53 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Paul.. that Whipped and Beaten Cookbook was hilarious! Thanks for posting it.

December 05 2012 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
breakness

I'm a jeweler. I"m also someone who shares life with those of four legs that I love deeply. This makes a lot of sense to me. It is a way to keep those we love so dearly close to us.

December 05 2012 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jsspilaw

Makes more sense than keeping the ashes on the fireplace mantel!

December 05 2012 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Autum Bredmose

I have my 18 year old cat's remains inside a necklace that I never take off. So it's not disturbing at all. They are our furry children, part of our souls. I get happiness knowing I have a piece of him with me always

December 05 2012 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I tell my daughter I want this done with my some of my ashes when I pass away BUT I want a hologram in the diamond..One with an approving face and one with a frown..I can be a mood ring :)
Says she will not wear me ..lol

December 05 2012 at 7:58 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
sandytorimino

my mother-in-law wanted this done when she died, so that she could be worn on my finger, but now that she has passed and thankfully in the ground, her son and I are getting a divorce. My question is, would he ask for the ring back to give to someone his mother really never knew???? Or would I keep it?? We know he wouldn't have worn her. And if it was a gift he really can't ask for it back, can he? Just wondering how this would work out for someone.

December 05 2012 at 5:12 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sandytorimino's comment
simplespirit1

Please. It is apparent you think this is crazy, there is no way your mother-in-law wanted this done because this has just started recently. Go to some other media outlet to express yourself ~ this is not about you.

December 06 2012 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply